What's new

Identify this brush?

I would like to call upon the collective knowledge of the group to identfy a brush. I recently rentered the art of wet shaving, having wet shaved about 30 years ago. I purchased a brush back then and I would like to know if this brush is fine badger or super badger. I don't think it is a pure only by how soft it is on the face and how well it lathers.
The overall height is 4", the handle is 2", the knot is 1". The handle is marked on the bottom with the trade name Mohawk under the name is a number 3-338. The only other markings are Made in Canada
I don't think I paid a lot for it. And I think I purchased it while a patient at a VA hospital. Any suggestions or ideas about it would be appreciated.
Tom

Bflotom2 said:
I purchased a brush back then and I would like to know if this brush is fine badger or super badger. I don't think it is a pure only by how soft it is on the face and how well it lathers.

Tom

Tom,

Welcome to B&B..I'm by no means an expert on brushes, but I do have a little tidbit I've picked up by reading. Apparently, bristle type is becoming a hot topic with many people disagreeing on what constitutes "fine badger", "pure badger", "super badger" and of course, the pinnacle of quality and luxury, the elusive "silver tip" brush. Each manufacturer has their designations, but I believe it would be noticible if you had a "pure badger" due to a bit stiffer bristle. I originally had a pure badger brush for my first one and when I went up to the "finest badger" (Shavemac's designation for the next level up), there was a noticible difference. It's safe to say that you probably have a mid-grade badger brush. Not too soft, not to stiff. If it were a super high end brush like a "silver tip" brush, you'd have paid out the wazoo and it would feel like silk against your skin.

Top Bottom