What's new

Identify my Greaves & Sons Razor

Heyoo, one of my first straight razors that got me into both collecting and into wet shaving was a Greaves & Sons, its one of those razors that no matter how much it costs youre willing to pay it, so i thought id finally get around to asking about it on here and see if anyone can tell me more about it

Thanks
-Vincent

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
I will start by saying welcome to the straight razor world.
That razor will need some work before it's ready to shave with IMO. The heal needs fixed/reshaped, it looks to have a frown where it should have a smile. The edge has been honed flat not curved like the shape of the spine. I'd say it has lost a bit of thickness over the decades of use. Being a Greaves It should have horn scales. In the picture, they look more plastic but it could just be the picture.

I recommend sending it off to a honemiester and letting them decide on what needs to be done to it to make it worth shaving with again. You have a nice start, just get it fixed and ready.

That razor will need some work before it's ready to shave with IMO. The heal needs fixed/reshaped, it looks to have a frown where it should have a smile. The edge has been honed flat not curved like the shape of the spine. I'd say it has lost a bit of thickness over the decades of use. Being a Greaves It should have horn scales. In the picture, they look more plastic but it could just be the picture.

I recommend sending it off to a honemiester and letting them decide on what needs to be done to it to make it worth shaving with again. You have a nice start, just get it fixed and ready.
Sounds good, thanks for your input!

What type of horn should i look into getting so i can start to make it look proper? Ive never worked with horn, ive made knives ive done leather craft ive made pipes and turned wood but horn i have no idea where to even start!

A lot of shave shops sell hornplus you can find blanks on ebay. You need 6+ inches times two. Steaked hone can be very pretty plus horn is easy to work with. Lots of info on the web and possible on this site on how to make them. With the proper tools you can make a set in a couple hours. Just be sure to keep the thickness around 0.100". Thats just my opinion. The blonde horn turns out see through when made rhin and polished. Lots of options.

Top Bottom