What's new

Identification, please!

Welcome to the forum Keenguy! I'm not sure what Gillette called that particular razor but it is a 3 piece Gillette probably from sometime around the 40s. I've not used one but if it's cheap enough, it might be worth a try.

My recommendation would be an early model superspeed which would be twist to open (TTO) or the fat boy adjustable. Both are very nice shavers and if you're patient, can be picked up relatively inexpensively. The pristine examples bring quite a hefty premium, you just have to decide what you're willing to pay for one and bid until you get one for your price.

good luck

Oh, and for the love of all that's good and holy, DON'T use the blades that come with it! Buy some new ones from your local Walgreens, or order some Merkurs or Feathers from ClassicShaving.

-Rich

It is an Australian made Gillette Tech. I have no idea if the Australians used date codes or not so it may be almost impossible to say when it was made. My best guess would be the 1960's.

i have one very similar to this. the handle is VERY light in weight. if i had to guess i think the the handle is aluminum & the head is steel. if anyone knows if this is incorrect, please feel free to advise.

s~s

Thankyou for the insight. ^_^

I was never tempted at any point to use the 40-60 year old blades. That would be :eek:

I guess I'll keep looking, then. Unless it really does go for a dollar or three. I'm new to Wet Shaving, and it is all very exciting. I'd never dreamed that the chore I hate so much (ouch!) could be a source of pleasure and intrest. It is like a massage for your face, and leaves you feeling refreshed.

Now in the mornings when I shave I think of it like putting on my armour to ride off to battle. But with less clanking.

I think I'm going to become a streight razor affectionado, but I would like to get a DS for traveling and varity.

Right now I'm using:

A cheap dime-store shaving brush (Bristle)
A Shiick Ultra handle w/ Wilkinson Sword blades.

We can see how this changes over the next few weeks now I've seen the light. ^_^ I'll have to poke about to find a picture of the SuperSpeed and the FatBoy. I'd love to know what I'm looking for.

KeenGuy.

KeenGuy said:
We can see how this changes over the next few weeks now I've seen the light. ^_^ I'll have to poke about to find a picture of the SuperSpeed and the FatBoy. I'd love to know what I'm looking for.

KeenGuy.

both are easy to identify. about the only way you can slip up in ID'ing the Superspeed is by mistaking a 41 ranger tech for it but there are a couple easy to see differences like a lack of knurling on a section of the handle's end, the blade holder is also different. One could also confuse the fatboy for a slim adjustable if you havent seen side by side pics of them but once you have they're easy to tell apart.
in this pic the fatboy is the third from the left on the bottom and the slim is the 4th from the left, the superspeed is the 5th from the left on top and the ranger tech is the 4th from the left.

thanks, i havent even tried the knack or flared tip SS yet, that gold "NEW" razor and a GEM micromatic have been taking up most of my shaves lately. The praise thrown on the gillette "NEW" edition razors is very well deserved but then again i also really like that plain/common gold tech so as always ymmv.

Armed with a photograph of what to look for, I'm now scouting new territory. I think I'm going to have to import it from the states though. Ah, the thrill of the chase. ^_^

Thanks ever so much for the help.

KeenGuy.

Top Bottom