What's new

Identification help please

I just looked at this razor but I can't find a name on it anywhere. I'm thinking about buying it but I don't know who made it.

20190129_102534.jpg

20190129_102544.jpg

20190129_102550.jpg

There's no way to tell. This model was very popular in Solingen during the last quarter of the 1800's, but those razors usually have a more ornate design, but it could have been made in Solingen. The maker's brand name was originally most likely etched on the face of the blade.
The razor has lost one of the celluloid tang covers and has hone wear.
I've attached a photo of the Solingen ones I've got as a comparison. The one on top is probably made in the 1890's, the second is about ten years older and the one at the bottom might be from the 1870's.

20190129_181823.jpg

The name of the maker would be on the covered tang portion which is missing. Unfortunately without it, it is almost impossible to figure out who made it. It looks like there is a fair amount of corrosion at the edge though. Enough that if it were me, I’d likely pass on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no way to tell. This model was very popular in Solingen during the last quarter of the 1800's, but those razors usually have a more ornate design, but it could have been made in Solingen. The maker's brand name was originally most likely etched on the face of the blade.
I've attached a photo of the Solingen ones I've got as a comparison. The one on top is probably made in the 1890's, the second is about ten years older and the one at the bottom might be from the 1870's.

View attachment 947955

Ahhh, you beat me to it with a much more elaborate and in depth explanation.... :)

Thanks for the quick replies Gentlemen. I thought one of the covers were missing also but the side of the tang that has the cover is indented and the other side not so much. It's 50% off but I think I'll pass on it. Thanks again.

Thanks for the quick replies Gentlemen. I thought one of the covers were missing also but the side of the tang that has the cover is indented and the other side not so much. It's 50% off but I think I'll pass on it. Thanks again.
Good choice! There are other fish in the sea or Razors in the ocean, I'm no good with sayings.....

Good choice! There are other fish in the sea or Razors in the ocean, I'm no good with sayings.....

I'm not good with sayings sometimes to. Lol

You are correct about the fish or razors though. I went next door and found a decent Puma, a pretty nice W H Morley & sons with a Barber tip, and what I think are nice Stropes.

I'm not good with sayings sometimes to. Lol

You are correct about the fish or razors though. I went next door and found a decent Puma, a pretty nice W H Morley & sons with a Barber tip, and what I think are nice Stropes.

Pictures???

View attachment 947955

Those are some beauties.

Pictures???

Sorry for the bad pictures, it's been a long day, I just walked in the door. The Puma is a little rougher than I thought but the price was right and I can use it for practice. I don't thing you can make it out in the picture but on the blade it says FRISEUR FREUND NO 1 and on the back it still has a sticker.

2019-01-29 20.32.47.jpg

2019-01-29 20.35.31.jpg

2019-01-29 20.36.05.jpg

I think the Morley will clean up nicely. Someone must have really loved this razor to have re-pined the broken scales.

Here's the strops, I know nothing about them. I'm not sure if you can tell from the pictures but do you think these will be functional or just displays.

2019-01-29 20.38.12.jpg

2019-01-29 20.38.52.jpg

2019-01-29 20.39.51.jpg

2019-01-29 20.40.14.jpg

2019-01-29 20.40.31.jpg

Top Bottom