What's new

Identification and Advice Request Gilette Razors and Blade

I found a box in our family home and inside were these razors and blade.
Can anyone identify the razors? They are marked Gillette, but I don't know the models. The first and second are adjustable. The second one has a green dial. The third is not adjustable. I also found this blade, anyone know if it is still produced?

Any recommendations on how to clean the razors? They are tarnished.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Gilette adj1.jpeg
    Gilette adj1.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 35
  • Gilette adj green 3.jpeg
    Gilette adj green 3.jpeg
    260.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Gilette2.jpeg
    Gilette2.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 35
  • King Gillette Blue Blade.jpeg
    King Gillette Blue Blade.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 37
The two adjustables look like Gillette slim razors, the other one is a superspeed flare tip.

The bottom of the razors head carries Date codes, which tell you the production year and quarter.

For example G 1 would be 1961 first quarter. See link below.

The green dial is oxidation and should be gone after cleaning.
You can clean the razors by soaking them in hot water with dishcleaner. Then scrub them with a soft toothbrush. Dont boil them.
The adjustables might need some lubrication with mineral oil after you have cleaned them. I use wahl Clipper oil.

And

Last edited:
The first two photos appear to be Gillette Slims. The third is a Gillette Super Speed "Flare" tip.

100s of topics here, online, and youtube on how to clean razors. Toothbrush and dish detergent is the short of it. They are dirty, clean them.

The two adjustables look like Gillette slim razors, the other one is a superspeed flare tip.

The bottom of the razors head carries Date codes, which tell you the production year and quarter.

For example G 1 would be 1961 first quarter. See link below.

The green dial is oxidation and should be gone after cleaning.
You can clean the razors by soaking them in hot water with dishcleaner. Then scrub them with a soft toothbrush. Dont boil them.
The adjustables might need some lubrication with mineral oil after you have cleaned them. I use wahl Clipper oil.

And

@Shaun asleep : Thank you!

The first two photos appear to be Gillette Slims. The third is a Gillette Super Speed "Flare" tip.

100s of topics here, online, and youtube on how to clean razors. Toothbrush and dish detergent is the short of it. They are dirty, clean them.
@CCS : Thank you

Anytime. I forgot to congratulate you. Those are nice razors, always a plus if you can score some great vintage ones from a relative. Makes them extra special.
They should clean up nicely.

Regarding the blade, I am no expert on blades but Gillette Blue blades are still being made in China.
I doubt they are the same. I have a couple of those vintage Gillette Blue blades but won't be using them.
Not sure how well they can whitstand time. Last thing I want is a rusty piece of steel carving up my face.

1663223871208.png

Anytime. I forgot to congratulate you. Those are nice razors, always a plus if you can score some great vintage ones from a relative. Makes them extra special.

Regarding the blade, I am no expert on blades but Gillette Blue blades are still being made in China.
I doubt they are the same. I have a couple of those vintage Gillette Blue blades but won't be using them.
Not sure how well they can whitstand time. Last thing I want is a rusty piece of steel carving up my face.

View attachment 1522739
I've got a small stash of the old blue blades that came with past razor purchases. I wouldn't use them today but I'm sure I bought them back in the 60's when I started shaving. Knowing me, I bought what ever was on sale at the moment.

View attachment 1522739
I checked the codes K-2 2nd quarter, 1965. These razors belonged to my father in law. He passed away, and we are finding all sorts of things that bring us back memories. My wife had told me as a child she would watch him use Barbasol and shave with these razors. I plan to clean them up and try them out.

I checked the codes K-2 2nd quarter, 1965. These razors belonged to my father in law. He passed away, and we are finding all sorts of things that bring us back memories. My wife had told me as a child she would watch him use Barbasol and shave with these razors. I plan to clean them up and try them out.
If you're a wet shaver, all three are as good as they get. The two Slims should be checked for function as the numbers represent mild to aggressive shaving. 1-3 = mild 3-5 = medium and you can figure out the rest. The Super Speed like yours was came in three flavors. The blue tip is the same as the Slim 1-3, the one you have in silver was the same as 3-5, and the red tip was aggressive 6-9 on the Slim. You should be able to put a blade in either of those Slims once cleaned up, close the doors and give it an extra quarter turn. Then, starting at one, look at the profile of the razor and twist the dial. You should see the blade move up and down depending which way you turn the dial. Some people say to adjust it with the doors open but if you look at Gillette's own manual (found online easily) for the Slim, they say to close the doors, give it that extra tightening close and adjust from there. If the razor doesn't tighten/lock that extra bit or the blade doesn't move up and down, they'll need servicing. The Flare tip, so long as the doors close tightly and evenly is good to go.

The Slim Adjustable and the Super Speed are two of my favorite razors. The green on the dial of the Slim is nickel, (the plating used on both,) corrosion.

I've used Dawn Powerwash and a toothbrush to clean my newly purchased antique shop finds. The gray or whitish patina is probably old shaving cream, or soap. I've found it may take a couple of cleanings to remove all of it from the nooks and crannies. There could also be hard water deposits on them, too.

Have your wife check out your technique when you use them. It may bring back fond memories of when her dad used the razors.

The Slim Adjustable and the Super Speed are two of my favorite razors. The green on the dial of the Slim is nickel, (the plating used on both,) corrosion.

I've used Dawn Powerwash and a toothbrush to clean my newly purchased antique shop finds. The gray or whitish patina is probably old shaving cream, or soap. I've found it may take a couple of cleanings to remove all of it from the nooks and crannies. There could also be hard water deposits on them, too.

Have your wife check out your technique when you use them. It may bring back fond memories of when her dad used the razors.
@Hair Scraper : Thanks for the advice on cleaning the razor. So far I have used dishwashing soap and q tips soaked in isopropyl alcohol to clean the soap and tarnish. It's coming along nicely.

@Hair Scraper : Thanks for the advice on cleaning the razor. So far I have used dishwashing soap and q tips soaked in isopropyl alcohol to clean the soap and tarnish. It's coming along nicely.
Careful using that alcohol around the numbers on the adjustment dial of those Slims. It will remove the black paint that Gillette put in those numbers. Ask me how I know :facep:

Careful using that alcohol around the numbers on the adjustment dial of those Slims. It will remove the black paint that Gillette put in those numbers. Ask me how I know :facep:
@Breen : I had no idea. after using a razor and blades, I always dip in 70% ISO. Sorry about your experience and appreciate your letting me know. I will forego using the alcohol on these razors.

View attachment 1522739
The current production in China are "Super Blue" blades not "Blue". The blade in the OP picture is a Blue blade manufactured from 30s to the 70s - carbon steel, uncoated. Gillette started making a silicone coated "Super Blue" blades in 1959 - they were carbon steel as well. Both have nothing in common with the current Chinese made Super Blues.

Top Bottom