What's new

Ideas for W&B's "For barbers use"

Having recently found a honkin' straight razor in the cellar, I'm planning on at least cleaning it up and likely getting it honed. It seems to me to be in pretty good condition, with one crack in the scales where the blade hits. It was my grandfathers, so I don't want to strip it off all character and certainly not devalue it! From what I have learned, neatsfoot oil has been recommended for the scales. Can I soak them with the blade still attached? Then I would lightly sand with fine grit wet/dry. What about the blade? I see progressive grit sanding mentioned frequently. Is this a safe method? Sorry about the basic questions, I guess I'm most concerned with the scales, though I can't imagine neatsfoot would damage the blade in any way.

Here it is and thank you!
20190115_081427.jpg

20190115_081405.jpg

20190115_081454.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Boy, that's a beauty. I have my great grand dad's straight. I have yet to do ANYTHING with it. I will follow this thread.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
you can soak the whole razor as is in neatsfoot oil for a day or two. I use a small container just a little larger them the razor closed and fill it till it submerges 1/2 of the razor , leave it for a day then flip it over. you can sand them with some 600 grit wet and dry then polish them with mothers mag polish, your blade looks great I would only sand it lightly and polish lightly to remove the little discoloration and keep the patina it has. hone it up it will shave great. I have 2 like it and love the shave i get with them. Cheers
CongaJon

Generally you should start a sanding progression with a grit no lower than needed. I would polish it up with flitz or mothers mag to see what it would look like, and only move to a lower grit if you need to take any deeper scratches out.

Thanks for the help! I just signed up yesterday and after looking through the forum quickly realized how redundant my questions were. So, thanks for humoring me. The blade had been quickly polished in those pics, so I wet-sanded with 1000 and 1500. I have a lifetime supply of neatsfoot on the way and will post a photo when complete.

Ideally you'd want to take apart and clean up. The washers can be saved and reused. Before soaking try to fix the crack in the scales by dropping in some CA. You can then soak them but know that soaking in neatsfoot oil is nice to re hydrate the scales but it does little to "freshen" them up. After a soak I would leave in a paper towel for a day or so and then lightly sand them.

When the blade is apart I would lightly clean up with any metal polish (if you want to keep the character and history), put back together and enjoy. While apart the tang can be cleaned up, it is usually a mess in there.

No way I would take apart that razor. It’s sacred. Fix the crack, sand/polish,and clean with a pipe cleaner and a flat old tooth brush. Use 2000 grit wet dry sand paper maybe. Hone with films and strop on leather

20190123_211925.jpg
Finished her up tonight. Now to get it honed, then I might just get stupid! I can't imagine I'll do the noggin with it, perhaps it will be good for trimming the beard. Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom