What's new

Ideas for a new suit without breaking the bank....

When I was still working and needed suits I shopped Paul Fredricks.com They sell suits as matching separates. They sell both slim and classic fit. You can find somewhat fashionable attire or the timeless look. Check out their website.

I came here to post pretty much the same thing.

Avoid anything that says it has a "slim" fit or similar description. Ditto if they use "modern" or similar term in the description. Of course, the added problem of a "modern" "slim" fit suit is the jacket may have far too short length.

proxy.php

Rule of thumb: look at the photos on the website of models wearing the suit. If the jacket ends at his wrist, it's probably too slim/modern for your tastes. If the jacket ends at his first knuckle (ie where fingers and palm meet) then you are good to go.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Ultimately, it's how the suit fits on YOU, not on a fashion model (those guys often seem to have extra-long gangly arms and legs) ... so try the suit on and check.
Well said. I hate those short suits. In a few years everyone will be laughing at you. Buying off the rack you may have to go with a Long to avoid it.

Vacation in Bangkok. My business wardrobe is all Bangkok tailored suits and thrift store sports jackets.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
How much does a suit cost in Bangkok? Custom?
Go all out and get a custom suit. You could check out Indochino. They do custom suits and are reasonably priced.
I bought a suit from Indichino and I am VERY satisfied. The fit is superb and it cost me $399 which isnt much more than off the rack suit. I bought it because I needed a heavier wt suit which you dont see off the rack much.

Go all out and get a custom suit. You could check out Indochino. They do custom suits and are reasonably priced.
I wanted a heavy weight suit which is very hard to find. I also cant stand the skinny suit look. I tried Indochino since I could pick the fabric and was very satisfied. Paid about $379 with a sale. It was the best fitting suit I've had in my life and I used to wear suits every day in 80s and 90s. (always a Canali guy-one of the very few high end suits worth every penny). You make the call on everything from buttons to length to color of the lining.
I went to their store on Madison Av and it was a lot of fun. I made sure the pants weren't too skinny (I told her "Elvis is dead"). I don't know how it would work with your own measurements on line.
This isn't a high end suit by any means but it's a lot better than you will get off the rack at same price and you are in complete control of the look you want.

It’s a little more than your budget...but not much.
Saks Off Fifth Ave. has Hickey Freeman suits on sale. You can stack coupons and specials. I just purchased a nice navy suit for around $450. I had it tailored locally. The Hickey Freeman will be a much nicer suit than anything at Jock Penny’s or Jos. Banks.

I have not bought off the rack in years. Once you hit about $500, a made to measure suit is going to have a better fit and is more customized to suit you. If you can afford $1,000, you will end up with excellent British or Italian fabrics and all the custom details you could want. I have used both the offshore 'traveling tailors" and local made to measure shops. If you have a local shop that does made to measure, that is the place to start. Made to measure is not the same as custom 'bespoke', but can still be made with identical quality fabrics and excellent fit.

I have not bought off the rack in years. Once you hit about $500, a made to measure suit is going to have a better fit and is more customized to suit you. If you can afford $1,000, you will end up with excellent British or Italian fabrics and all the custom details you could want. I have used both the offshore 'traveling tailors" and local made to measure shops. If you have a local shop that does made to measure, that is the place to start. Made to measure is not the same as custom 'bespoke', but can still be made with identical quality fabrics and excellent fit.
It seems every chain is now offering Made to Measure. I saw it at Men Wearhouse. Their seelction of fabrics isn't the greatest (probably to keep price down) but you will very likely get a better fit than off the rack.

Late to the party. I sold clothes etc at Macy's in HS and College. A jacket/tie (minimum) has been a core part of my wardrobe both as a sales rep for a fortune 100 company and an atty.

Fit is everything. A 100.00 mostly poly suit from JCP that fits and/or has been altered to fit is going to look better than an ill sized 100% wool suit from Brooks Brothers etc. every time. This particularly true when you pair the more modest suit with a laundered shirt and shoes that have a serious shine. You then take it all to the next level with a quality tie ( 5.00 or less at any thrift store) and a pocket square/ironed down hanky.

Made to measure at 400ish for all wool at Indochino etc. is solid value. If you go that route, (or even suit separates at a dept store) spring for a second set of pants. Presuming no catastrophic spills etc. you will have that combo forever.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
spring for a second set of pants. Presuming no catastrophic spills etc. you will have that combo forever.

All solid advice from dojpros but in particular the second pair of pants. In almost all circumstances the pants will wear out before the jacket ... and the jacket is the expensive part!

Also, for daily office wear consider the Navy blazer that you can pair with various pairs of pants. Lighter mid-grey is the classic, but there are lots of other great options too.

$400 for one blazer and $100 per pants trumps a $600 suit!

This works all the better if you spend most of the day with your suit jacket hanging up and not being worn.

Not sure how budget you're looking to go, but I've had good luck getting the highly discounted, "better" quality model clearance suits at his a bank. If you search their clearance using your size , certain models end up dramatically discounted, even in comparison to their "sale prices," especially when they only have one or two sizes left in stock (i ended up with one of their 1905 suits in brown houndstooth for ~$40 after tax). Often these are brown colors. Quality can vary, even between the same models, but returns are easy.

At the price price, you can have them modified by a tailor and still end up with a decent suit at a great price.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’ve been buying suits at Moore’s. My local shop has sales year round, two for price of one etc. Ok quality, basic classic fit for me, not sporting skinny pants, but a little slimmer cut through the leg. Seems most pants are fit that way, slowly getting used to it. Really fitted just looks clownish besides being uncomfortable. One suit for $149.00, that I can get 4 seasons out of if I push it.

Top Bottom