What's new

ID This Timex... Please

This Timex watch came from an uncle's house, whom died years ago. I'm trying to learn more about it.

The face is an off-white color to help see the Indiglo feature, and has all 12 numerals in a clear-to-read American style. I don't know how to describe this: there's no 24-hour format. There's no IV to let you know it's 4; just simple 1 to 12 digits. Between every fifth number are four lines. The only colors on the dial are black.
The dial says TIMEX
INDIGLO
WR 50M

The watch keeps accurate time with one CE2016 battery, and even the Indiglo works until you release the second hand.
That second hand, is the only way you can control or set this swatch.

The back plate of the watch has stamped TIMEX
CR 2016 CELL
WR 50 M
STAINLESS STEEL BACK
www.timex.com

S8

The watch measure 19.8mm from the far edge to the crown.
The watch bezel appears to be made of stainless steel, but the band looks to be of the semi-stretchy stainless / gold neverending band. The center pieces appear to be gold and the very outer band appears to be stainless.

I will upload photos as available, but is this just a dolled-up Weekender?

Last edited:
Sounds like a woman's watch from the size. Probably something that did predate the Weekender line but perhaps slightly more formal/dressy (I am guessing).

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Any chance of a photo? Might give as a better idea of what you are talking about.

Timex front.jpg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Looks quite a bit bigger than the 19.8 mm you mentioned, more like 40+.
It cannot be that old, it shows a web address, so maybe 20/25 years or so.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Is that the original band? All the photos I can find of the 35mm Easy Reader are in leather.

How did you decipher the date of manufacture?

It doesn't appear to be the original band, but I'm just going by what I could find online.

S8 on the back of the watch is the date code. Starting in 1993, the years were designated by a letter. "I" was omitted from the codes though. I'm just guessing, but I or i probably looked too much like L or j.

Edit: The 8 in S8 designates the month.

Last edited:
I doubt that is the original band. As the gold does not match the case/dial/hands and looks like one of those universal fit bands (16-20mm) having a spring loaded expanding end link to completely fill the gap over the spring bar. It is a nice watch but I would consider putting it on a leather, cloth (perlon), or rubber/silicon strap. Of course you have your own ideas about that.

Top Bottom