What's new

ID on a Tech w/ Triangle Guard Slots

I have a Fat handled Tech with Triangle bar slots, looking at the Gillette Dating Page I see that it would have been produced between 1939 and 1951. Does anyone have any other sources of info on these Techs? Why did Gillette switch from the triangle slots to the parallel slots?

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks in advance.

It is thought that they switched from the triangular slots around the end of WWII, perhaps when they went back into normal production.

Thanks Guido, I have tried to dig up more about these but have not had any luck.

Thanks for the compliment, jp, unfortunately there is a bit of fine scratching to the head that does not show up in the pix. Still a nice shaver, tho.

Thanks Guido, I have tried to dig up more about these but have not had any luck.

Thanks for the compliment, jp, unfortunately there is a bit of fine scratching to the head that does not show up in the pix. Still a nice shaver, tho.

I realize my post is two years after your thread but I just picked up a fat -handled Gillette Tech cheap at an antique store going out of business. From all the threads and photos on B&B and Gillette Razor dating pages I could find, it sure looks like a 1938-1950 version. No "Gillette" logo on top of head, no date codes, it has the 4 triangle cutouts on blade guard. The 3" handle is heavy, tapered smooth at top, verical grooves smooth near top separated by indentation, with diagonal checkered/knurled on lower 2/3rds of handle. Any way to tell any closer to year?

I realize my post is two years after your thread but I just picked up a fat -handled Gillette Tech cheap at an antique store going out of business. From all the threads and photos on B&B and Gillette Razor dating pages I could find, it sure looks like a 1938-1950 version. No "Gillette" logo on top of head, no date codes, it has the 4 triangle cutouts on blade guard. The 3" handle is heavy, tapered smooth at top, verical grooves smooth near top separated by indentation, with diagonal checkered/knurled on lower 2/3rds of handle. Any way to tell any closer to year?
even though resurection thread.....tell'em guys we mad why?

Attachments

• $e5297d97-7de4-44c0-8d78-33a0aac90773 - Copy.gif
    $e5297d97-7de4-44c0-8d78-33a0aac90773 - Copy.gif
    446.3 KB · Views: 490

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member

I would say you have a pre-WW2 Fat Handled Tech. They switched to square holes right after the war. A pic would make for a perfect identification, plus we love pictures.

I would say you have a pre-WW2 Fat Handled Tech. They switched to square holes right after the war. A pic would make for a perfect identification, plus we love pictures.

+1 on pre-war production. Although introduced in limited markets late in 1938, the Tech hit full distribution in '39 and was made with the triangular slots until the war put an end to civilian production. When civilian production resumed in 1946, the slots were rectangular and remained that way through the end of the Tech's production run. Since date codes were added in '51, we generally refer to a no-date-code Tech with rectangular slots as 1946-'50 production.

I also have a theory that we may be able to date a 1950 by the change in the "Pat. Nos. on Package" wording change like the Super Speed, but I have yet to see a NDC Tech base plate with the word "Package" abbreviated as "Pkg." so it is only a theory!

I hadn't realized at first this was a resurrected thread until I saw the post from Asylum Guido . . . I, for one, miss him around here! (A lot of what I have learned about Super Speeds came from his hard work!)

+1 on pre-war production. Although introduced in limited markets late in 1938, the Tech hit full distribution in '39 and was made with the triangular slots until the war put an end to civilian production. When civilian production resumed in 1946, the slots were rectangular and remained that way through the end of the Tech's production run. Since date codes were added in '51, we generally refer to a no-date-code Tech with rectangular slots as 1946-'50 production.

I also have a theory that we may be able to date a 1950 by the change in the "Pat. Nos. on Package" wording change like the Super Speed, but I have yet to see a NDC Tech base plate with the word "Package" abbreviated as "Pkg." so it is only a theory!

I hadn't realized at first this was a resurrected thread until I saw the post from Asylum Guido . . . I, for one, miss him around here! (A lot of what I have learned about Super Speeds came from his hard work!)
We all miss him, i remember him back in Straight Razor Place/ forums5 years ago, he was so informative there too. I know he had health issues, but he still made a few come backs after recovery. His collection of razors is worthy of praise.

Attachments

• $storage001.jpg
    $storage001.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 304
  • $Display004.jpg
    $Display004.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 303
  • $Display005.jpg
    $Display005.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 302

Here is an old thread of mine.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/174205-Dating-NDC-Tech-Question?highlight=Fat+Tech

Its pretty tough to nail down a date further on this type of razor. I was able to do it, kind of, because mine came with the original razor box and 5 original blades, 2 used and 3 unwrapped all with a matching date code and corresponding package. Because of those elements I nailed mine down to "probably" made in 1939. Without those kind of things coming with a razor its near impossible to narrow down.

Jay

your theory is right. Here is a 1950 Tech:

Attachments

• $1950 Tech.jpg
    $1950 Tech.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 331
As is always the case. you have all been very helpful. My Tech in question definitely has the triangular slots. My first Tech. I shaved with it this morning for the first time. I really liked it. Oh no, maybe have to expand to more Techs to add to my SuperSpeeds, Slim, and Fat Boy.

alex2363 said, "even though resurection thread.....tell'em guys we mad why?" Not sure if a violated sopme courtesy or protocol in the forum by posting to an old thread. Sorry if I offended.

alex2363 said, "even though resurection thread.....tell'em guys we mad why?" Not sure if a violated some courtesy or protocol in the forum by posting to an old thread. Sorry if I offended.

No problems on the old thread resurrect.

The impropriety was not posting pictures of your score!!!! Everyone here loves razors and we love to see them, no matter how ugly, shiny, old, beat up, etc. Alex just wanted someone to give you a subtle poke to post some pics of your score. No harm, no foul. Now, get some pics up when ya get a chance!

Jay

No problems on the old thread resurrect.

The impropriety was not posting pictures of your score!!!! Everyone here loves razors and we love to see them, no matter how ugly, shiny, old, beat up, etc. Alex just wanted someone to give you a subtle poke to post some pics of your score. No harm, no foul. Now, get some pics up when ya get a chance!

Mako & Alex: Thanks for clarifying. The poke is acknowledged. I'm a digitally-challenged type but I will try to take a post a couple pics when I can. The razors actually cleaned up very nice and are probably the best $ 2.50 each score I will ever make. I also cleaned and touched up my '56 Red Tip last night. It is my cleanest, almost mint razor I have. I will put that in the photo too.

As is always the case. you have all been very helpful. My Tech in question definitely has the triangular slots. My first Tech. I shaved with it this morning for the first time. I really liked it. Oh no, maybe have to expand to more Techs to add to my SuperSpeeds, Slim, and Fat Boy.

alex2363 said, "even though resurection thread.....tell'em guys we mad why?" Not sure if a violated sopme courtesy or protocol in the forum by posting to an old thread. Sorry if I offended.
Steve, we always love pics, the guys always knows that i post me and a mad dog when pics arent shown.

$Razors_Feb2012 002.jpg

I finally snapped some pics of the antique store score I made. $2.50 each! Both were really nasty but they cleaned up nice. The TTO on the left is a '54 SuperSpeed. The Tech is likely a 40's model but who knows! I have been shaving with it this weekend. I like the heavy handle.

Nice pickups at a bargain price. The fat handled Tech is one of the few Gillettes where the handle is lighter than the head. Some people like the feel of a light handled razor.

your theory is right. Here is a 1950 Tech:

My first Tech came in the mail on Friday. I checked for dates, but no joy. I knew it was late NDC because of the rectangular slots it has, Then I read this thread yesterday. Mine has PKG exactly as the pic above does. So, I now know I have a 1950 Tech (ball handle).

This is not the first time I've wondered about something and found to my amazement there was a thread posted with the answer to my specific question, literally within a day. This place is amazing.

Edit: further examination shows a date code of Z4 that I couldn't see with the lighting at the time. So I have a fourth quarter 1954, not a '50. Doesn't change the shave one bit, though!

Last edited:
Top Bottom