What's new

ID my 2 gillette finds from the antique shop please?

sorry, but ive tried the stickys and pics in google, and all ive found in there is that one of them (on the right) is almost certainly a tech, cant find info on the other at all.

both are 3 piece, say 'made in england' with the gillette diamond, and no patent nos, dates, or any other info.

it was an impulse buy as i dont particularly need any more razors, but at a tenner for the two thought 'why not' :)

thank you

IMG_20210821_165328.jpg

The left (pre war) with triangular slots in the base should be a touch more efficient than the one on the right. Also the handle style from the left (Fat handle) is my preferred one. Great shavers :thumbsup:

The left (pre war) with triangular slots in the base should be a touch more efficient than the one on the right. Also the handle style from the left (Fat handle) is my preferred one. Great shavers :thumbsup:
The left one is obviously a No. 27 - late 40s - early 50s. It is not with triangular slots and IIRC is not as efficient as the 1938-45 US with triangular slots.

wow, great knowledge! and yes that pic is exactly the same albeit with different blades now.

so, leave to soak in hot soapy water (washing up liquid, or is there a preference for a particular type of soap?) and then scrub with an old toothbrush, is that the best way of bringing them clean? nothing stronger?

many thanks for your help :)

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
wow, great knowledge! and yes that pic is exactly the same albeit with different blades now.

so, leave to soak in hot soapy water (washing up liquid, or is there a preference for a particular type of soap?) and then scrub with an old toothbrush, is that the best way of bringing them clean? nothing stronger?

If you can get Scrubbing Bubbles (no bleach), soak them in that for a few minutes. Then Dawn dish soap/hot water bath with a soft toothbrush. Enjoy!

Yes that is the best way of cleaning razors, an old (soft bristle) toothbrush and washing up liquid. The washing up liquid that I use is just a cheap supermarket own brand antibacterial washing up liquid. I have found that it works so well that I have never needed to use the Razor polishing cloth that Razor Emporium once sent me with a Fatboy I once ordered.

well im in the UK, so no Scrubbing Bubbles, but i did soak them in hot water with washing up liquid and they came up just fine thanks. one still a little yellow near the head and even with an inquisitive attempt with brasso it didnt improve, so ive left it at that, im happy enough. and yes, theyre both lovely smooth razors. ive been doing 50/50 shaves with them and the end product is identical. as mentioned earlier, i think the thicker handle is a little nicer to hold, but im happy with them both.

which leads me on to........ another find in a different shop :biggrin1:

just having a browse and asked if they had any old gillettes, she showed me the only razor they had, it didnt look like gillette and had no markings so i asked how much. £5, so thought id take a punt. then she couldnt get her payment machine to work so told me to just take it, it had come as a job lot of items, so it cost me the princely sum of £0 :biggrin1:

so....... any ideas? like i said, no markings at all......

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210914_141127.jpg
    IMG_20210914_141127.jpg
    10.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210914_141150.jpg
    IMG_20210914_141150.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 18
ive never heard of that. tried googling it but not much joy. so there was a Gillette Old Type was there, and you think that this is a no-name copy of it?

thank you.

ive never heard of that. tried googling it but not much joy. so there was a Gillette Old Type was there, and you think that this is a no-name copy of it?

thank you.

If it's an old type, it'll have the Gillette diamond symbol and it's country of origin on the underside of the baseplate.

If not, it's probably an offbrand job.

i looked at mr razors site, and the handle certainly looks different, and as there are no markings whatsoever, i dont think its a gillette head either.

i think youre right that it'll be a no-name copy. i'll let you know how it shaves next week when i get chance to try it.

many thanks for your help and expertise.

Top Bottom