What's new

I'd like to make a paddle strop

Hi guys. Just looking for some advice here. I have an extra horsehide leather strop that doesn't have a hanger/hook and so I was thinking about using it to make a paddle strop. I recently got a short one with a wooden box but I thought I might try to make one that was longer. The length is about 24" so it's a nice length as you can see below. The wooden base that I was going to glue this to is considerably shorter. I can cut the leather or buy a longer piece of wood. Would I be better off hanging this strop or going forward with my little project? What kind of glue would you recommend? I has CA glue but I heard 'Gorilla' glue works very well too. Thanks for your input.

All I know is that I've had issues with glue on paddle strops. (Just ask Azmark)
Gorilla glue might work, but it's horribly messy and very difficult to clean up. Plus, as a Polyurethane based glue, it tends to expand like "spray in foam", but less. That may not be desirable.
If there is any oil in the strop, it can dissolve the glue, I think (or at least weaken it) Gorilla glue won't be prone to that.
A slow set CA might work, I've thought of using that, but I envision having a hard time keeping the leather clean; if any gets on the leather it will create a harder area.

Legion

Staff member
Contact adhesive in an aerosol can. The stuff I've been using provides a super bond if used correctly. Just make sure you position the leather correctly as you will not get a second go at it.

You will need a longer piece of wood if you put it on just one side. Even if you cut off the emblems at each end you need enough wood remaining to make a handle. I put cowhide on both sides (about 16" each side) and it worked out well - using contact cement. Make sure you use a roller and roll it hard to get all the air out. No glue will adhere very well to that knot because it's end grain. I like it much more than my hanging strop. Because it's so solid, it feels much more like honing and it isn't as easy to nick at each end of the stroke.

Spray adhesive works great!

Sand the backside of the strop to make it a little rough & clean, 150 grit or so, then it will stick even better.
Roll the strop firmly down to the wood with a glass-bottle.

I use Pattex Repair Extreme. It allows strong but flexible bondings. I am not sure if it's available outside of EU.

I used a leather glue i bought in a diy shop, it says on the box that it will glue leather to any surface, wood included, so far so good, also i would make a longer paddle and not cut the strop.

Actually I have glued leather to wood with regular white carpenters glue.
And I have never seen any seeping or had the leather come loose.

Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions and feedback. Now I just have to decide if I want to make one long one or a double sided shorter one. :thumbup1:

I don't know if you're still kicking this project around in your head, but when I needed some leather stuck down in a knife making project a few years back, a local leather worker showed me a contact adhesive called Barge Cement.

The stuff stunk to high heaven while it was wet, but it hasn't budged since, even though it's the only thing holding a couple pieces of cowhide on each side of the knife blank, shaped to be a nice grippy handle.

I don't know if you're still kicking this project around in your head, but when I needed some leather stuck down in a knife making project a few years back, a local leather worker showed me a contact adhesive called Barge Cement.

The stuff stunk to high heaven while it was wet, but it hasn't budged since, even though it's the only thing holding a couple pieces of cowhide on each side of the knife blank, shaped to be a nice grippy handle.

Thank you my friend. I still haven't made the paddle strop but I will over the holidays. Take care and Merry Christmas.

Top Bottom