What's new

I'd like a new way to make coffee

what about Stove-top percolators? Aren't those similar to French Presses? Reason I ask is a co-worker is ready to donate a stainless one to me if I give him the word. Anyone have good experiences with these?

I'm going to have to disagree with Jim here. To me, percolators make some of the best coffee. They are essentially the same process as a French press because they keep the grinds constantly steeped until the process is over. They also extract at the correct temperature, something that very few drip machines do (as far as all the research I've done indicates).

And the proof is in the pudding. I have found that most people actually prefer perked coffee to drip made. Drip is preferred only when time and convenience are the driving factors. I've put cups of both in front of people and they always prefer the perked.

Stove top percolators are even better than automatics IMHO because they allow for more control over the process. I started using one some time back and never looked back.

As a bonus a stove top percolator will outlive you if you get a good vintage one. They are built to last forever.

Chris

Coffee drinkers! I like to drink Coffee each morning and some days my girlfriend will ask me to make her a cup as well. Show me your devices/methods for brewing a couple, quick good cups of joe. Simplicity and low-cost are a plus!

If I were looking to make 1 or 2 single cups quickly in the morning, I would probably chose a clever coffee dripper or other pour over method. There are a number of porcelain ones (Melitta, Hario, etc) that work well. Depending on how often gf wants coffee and how different her tastes are from yours you could go for a pair of them or just a single. AeroPress is another good choice, but there is slightly more effort and cleanup involved. If you always brew for 2 and you want a single brew cycle, then a Chemex pour over could be a good choice. If you are drinking more than one cup each then a good drip brewer with thermal vacuum pot to keep the coffee warm is the easiest option IMO.

+1 on the Kerurig. My office has one, takes about 30 seconds, coffee is decent and brews one cup at a time, with many varieties. We find it to be perfect for our needs and clients like the variety of brews they can request.

+1 on the Kerurig. My office has one, takes about 30 seconds, coffee is decent and brews one cup at a time, with many varieties. We find it to be perfect for our needs and clients like the variety of brews they can request.

+2 on the Keurig. Quickest cup of coffee I've ever had. My mom said it doesn't taste as good as the French press, but I'm not going to complain about a 30 second cup of coffee.

And there's a whole bunch of variety of k-cups that you can pick up at Target or BedBathandBeyond (if you're in a rush) or subscribe and save through Amazon (soo much cheaper)

-Kristie.

I use my Hario everyday and it makes the tastiest brew out of all the methods that I have available to me.

+1, I use a Yama 3 cup with a glass Cory rod filter. I like a chemex or french press cup but a vacuum brewer makes the best coffee you've ever had at home.

proxy.php

+1, I use a Yama 3 cup with a glass Cory rod filter. I like a chemex or french press cup but a vacuum brewer makes the best coffee you've ever had at home.

The glass rod makes a really nice cup. I never use the paper or cloth filters anymore since I bought a Cory.

Top Bottom