What's new

ID and opinions on this razor?

Hello, this is my first post here but I've known about and occasionally visited this forum for about a decade, which is about how long I've been wet shaving for. I'm no enthusiast, just a casual shaver who likes a good shave.

This is the only DE razor I've ever owned. I don't remember where I bought it, but it has served me well for years. I don't know the model name or anything, just that it's a Merkur. Do any of you know?

So for those of you who ARE enthusiasts, what are your opinions? Be totally honest. Is it a gem? Is it pure trash? Is it mediocre, decent, or pretty good? Like I said, it has served me well, but I have nothing to compare to. I was thinking of picking up another razor, possibly. If there is something I'm missing out on that's going to change the game, I may be willing to open my wallet. But if what I have is perfectly formidable, then maybe I won't. (I have other hobbies that compel me to throw money at!)

Attachments

• 20220725_120609.jpg
    20220725_120609.jpg
    723.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220725_120627.jpg
    20220725_120627.jpg
    772.7 KB · Views: 33

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Looks like a Merkur 23c to me. Could use some Dawn and a toothbrush, but other than that, good to go. Certainly a decent razor that will give you great shaves. Most of us would put it on the high side of mediocre. But this lot is a bunch of prima donnas that like sharp shiny things. This was one of my first razors and a great place to start. Not trash by any means. Welcome to the Forums by the way!

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Merkur 23C is a good razor but the handle is a bit long for me. Fortunately other handles screw right on there and provide a different feel to your shave.

Welcome to B&B!

Iridian

Cool and slimy

As people already pointed out, Merkur 23c.
Dovo makes the shavettes and straights, Merkur is their division/brand for DE razors.

The Merkur is a pretty mild and good razor.

But you know this forum already. One could shave an entire life with a Mühle R89 or Merkur 23c. I liked it a bit more efficient and went from R89 to R41 many years ago.

Thanks to Badger & Blade and Reddit I tried some other razors. Now I have a collection.

Nobody here, not even you, can tell our make an educated guess if there is an even more perfect razor for you out there. You would have to try and buy it join a passaround.

If you want to preserve your sanity and wallet, I would recommend not to. It's up to you. 😎

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia. Merkur make great razors IMHO. I have several of them but I much prefer the 34C/G. Just an excellent razor for me.

I've had that razor for more than 20 years, I imagine. Gives a fine shave. Not really a criticism, but it's not adjustable--an option many DE users are a fan of. I don't find it to be a downside, because I didn't know any better. Adjustable DEs allow the user to slightly change the angle of the blade by loosening or tightening the handle. Had I known this, I might have sought it out at the time, but the Merkur has never failed to deliver a fine shave.

I've since caught the SR bug so the Merkur doesn't get much use, but it still sits on my counter, and when I travel, I take the DE with me and leave my SR at home.

I've had a 23c for over ten years and after about two I started branching out and trying other razors. I still use the 23c and in my opinion could have stopped there, it gives a quick, close, mindless and no nick shave for me. if you're really hankering to try another razor wander in to your local antique store and pick up a vintage Gillette for seven bucks, a tech or long comb will shave quite similar and it'll add some brass to your life. you could also try the razorock hawk for ~30 bucks it uses a single artisan club blade that could spice up your shave routine.

Top Bottom