What's new

Iced Tea Time

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
This time of year there is usually a pitcher of Luzianne in the fridge. I also like to make a tea from sliced ginger root, 2 cinnamon sticks, about 7 whole cloves finished with a couple shakes of turmeric. Does anyone else have a chilled tea concoction they'd be willing to share?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I grew up with a pitcher of iced tea in the fridge or on the counter. My Mom probably made four or five pitchers every week. I'm pretty sure it was Lipton more often than not, but I know we would have Luzianne from time to time. I didn't do the grocery shopping, so I don't know why it might change around.

These days, I don't drink much iced tea at home. I like the hot stuff, I like mixing up what I drink (sometimes breakfast tea, sometimes Earl Grey, sometimes some manner of green, sometimes add a little of this or that), and I'm happy to brew to order. There's no rush.

I do recall being on a cruise several years ago (maybe even longer ago than that). They always had tea sitting in cups, already poured, at the buffet. It was so good! I couldn't get enough of it. I finally asked someone what this fantastic tea was so that I could seek it out when I got home. It was Lipton. You could have pushed me over with a feather.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I grew up with a pitcher of iced tea in the fridge or on the counter. My Mom probably made four or five pitchers every week. I'm pretty sure it was Lipton more often than not, but I know we would have Luzianne from time to time. I didn't do the grocery shopping, so I don't know why it might change around.

These days, I don't drink much iced tea at home. I like the hot stuff, I like mixing up what I drink (sometimes breakfast tea, sometimes Earl Grey, sometimes some manner of green, sometimes add a little of this or that), and I'm happy to brew to order. There's no rush.

I do recall being on a cruise several years ago (maybe even longer ago than that). They always had tea sitting in cups, already poured, at the buffet. It was so good! I couldn't get enough of it. I finally asked someone what this fantastic tea was so that I could seek it out when I got home. It was Lipton. You could have pushed me over with a feather.
It was the cruise tank water that made it so good.

A few years ago, we started experimenting a little bit with homemade ice tea. We like Lipton a lot, actually. And we've been using the hot brewed method mostly. Our recipe is nothing special, really.

We like it most because we can make it as sweet as we like, rather than buying something ready made. We like it with just a touch of sugar, so not very sweet at all.

...I finally asked someone what this fantastic tea was so that I could seek it out when I got home. It was Lipton. You could have pushed me over with a feather.
The Lipton you can get in India and some other places is way better than the floor sweepings we get here. Especially the loose leaf in bulk.

This time of year there is usually a pitcher of Luzianne in the fridge. I also like to make a tea from sliced ginger root, 2 cinnamon sticks, about 7 whole cloves finished with a couple shakes of turmeric. Does anyone else have a chilled tea concoction they'd be willing to share?
Mix 50/50 hibiscus flowers & rosehips in a pitcher of water. Can be done hot or cold. Does not get bitter if you leave the herbals to infuse for a while. Strain and serve. Nice deep red color, tart flavor with a good amount of vitamin C. No sugar necessary and no caffeine.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Mix 50/50 hibiscus flowers & rosehips in a pitcher of water. Can be done hot or cold. Does not get bitter if you leave the herbals to infuse for a while. Strain and serve. Nice deep red color, tart flavor with a good amount of vitamin C. No sugar necessary and no caffeine.
I do this. Add some some chamomile too. Great blood pressure tonic.

Grew up with Lipton tea. Mom would brew it hot sometimes but in the summer it was sun tea. Now days I’ll make a pot of gun powder green tea. I’ll drink a couple cups hot then chill the rest. We almost always have Japanese roasted barley tea in the refrigerator. The Korean Barley tea is also good but has a lighter flavor.

Top Bottom