What's new

Iced Coffee

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
hdx-paint-buckets-lids-11572-36wf-64_1000.jpgleaktite-paint-buckets-lids-2gl-white-pail-64_1000.jpgwith lid under $10 at HD

My favorite iced coffee is iced Vietnamese coffee...You need a nice strong flavor and the Robusta bean does the trick.Most of us don't buy Robusta in bulk so the #1 Vietnamese coffee works just fine....A Vietnamese "phin" drip pot is usually around $5 .
phin.jpg
phinn.jpg

I like my coffee hot but espresso over ice w/ high frothy milk is our super summer months approach (breville).

My daughter was gifted one of these Asobu cold brew makers and I've used it many times. Slick little setup, it makes smooth and delicious cold brew. As others have said, coffee brewed hot and poured over ice often has a bitter touch to it, whereas brewing cold gives (me) a nice smooth result. You can do the same by simply stirring ground coffee into a jug and straining it out after some hours. I really liked this little setup because I could throw the top on and use it to take along to work. Neat stuff.

Asobu Cold Brew Maker

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I agree with both using better coffee and cold brewing.

As far a what's better, you've received a lot of good advice on that front. Like Mick, I'd look to Costa Rica (or, at least, South America).

My favorite iced coffee is iced Vietnamese coffee...You need a nice strong flavor and the Robusta bean does the trick.Most of us don't buy Robusta in bulk so the #1 Vietnamese coffee works just fine....A Vietnamese "phin" drip pot is usually around $5 .

I was given a pound of roasted robusta from Vietnam. Amazing large beans.

Mixed with sweetened condensed milk served cold..... whoa.... It stopped me from roasting until it was gone.

I have been only able to source Vietnamese robusta green in full sacks (140 pounds).

Our friend who gifted us the roasted pound, brought it back from Vietnam on her last visit.....

I do have some robusta from India that I need to roast. Was hoping to use it in an espresso blend but have to convince SWMBO to bring the Francis Francis X-5 back to here.

proxy.php

For iced coffee I enjoy med to light roast blends like Fresh Roasted Coffee Breakfast Blend.

IMG_20200612_210528342.jpg

My favorite method is flash brew directly over ice using a drip cone. I just use my typical recipe for hot coffee 20 grams for 16oz of water. For iced coffee I use 20grams of coffee brewed over 8oz of ice with 8oz water.

IMG_20200612_210836034.jpg

IMG_20200612_210954335.jpg

I was given a pound of roasted robusta from Vietnam. Amazing large beans.

Mixed with sweetened condensed milk served cold..... whoa.... It stopped me from roasting until it was gone.

I have been only able to source Vietnamese robusta green in full sacks (140 pounds).

Our friend who gifted us the roasted pound, brought it back from Vietnam on her last visit.....

I do have some robusta from India that I need to roast. Was hoping to use it in an espresso blend but have to convince SWMBO to bring the Francis Francis X-5 back to here.

proxy.php
try here: Robusta Coffee - Len's Coffee - https://lenscoffee.com/coffee-by-type/robusta/

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Over here in Australia almost all Iced Coffee is milk based cold coffee and if you buy it in a Supermarket it is sold in the milk section.

Ice is what you use to fill your cooler with to keep beer and your catch of fish cold; it has no place in drinks. I Simply pour my leftover brewed coffee (currently a Kroger medium house blend) into a 36 oz cup with a lid, add milk & toss it into the fridge.

I'd tried all kinds of different recipes to pour over ice & the ice wrecked them all. Also, you get more coffee in the glass without that pesky ice. Toss in a shot or 2 of Vodka ... optional.

[caution coffee snobbery]
I recall quite some years ago, SMs selling Vietnamese robusta at a very inexpensive price - to practice roasting.
[\caution coffee snobbery]

I never get a bowl of pho without a cafe sua da. Recent years, I've noticed that a few places deliver it to the table already in the glass, premixed. just not the same.

-jim

[caution coffee snobbery]
I recall quite some years ago, SMs selling Vietnamese robusta at a very inexpensive price - to practice roasting.
[\caution coffee snobbery]

I never get a bowl of pho without a cafe sua da. Recent years, I've noticed that a few places deliver it to the table already in the glass, premixed. just not the same.

-jim
You're right Jim , and that stuff is probably made with these:
caf.jpg
caff.jpg

To remove bitterness from ANY coffee:

Add salt.

To make incredible cold coffee from average brands like Folgers:

Add a pinch of salt and brew as usual. Let cool and place in fridge over night. Wake up to the best iced coffee you've ever had (pour over ice with cream or whatever).

You're welcome :)

I neglected to mention that my method of brewing is to boil water and steep the grounds in a container. Once it cools and sits in the fridge over night, I strain it. Good luck!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Recent years, I've noticed that a few places deliver it to the table already in the glass, premixed. just not the same.

Yes, that does not fly at all. I was completely flabbergasted when that happened to me for the first time and still don't abide by it.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
We have a local roaster who is 2 blocks from my Apartment I never knew was there. I sampled some of their offerings and settled on what they call "Jorge Rosas" The beans are Columbian and sourced from a small farmer. They do their roasting in house. I sampled it hot in house and it was delicious. The smoothest cup of Joe I have ever had. I bought a pitcher to cold brew. I whipped up my 1st batch yesterday. I will be buying a better grinder though. The hand crank about did me in.

I am currently enjoying it, wow what a difference.

Nice to have a shop close by. Your drinking good coffee and supporting a local business!

That is a win all around.

-jim

Top Bottom