What's new

Ice Storm Fall Out (or Off)

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Last Saturday we had an epic ice storm that found us waking up the next morning to, what for us was, a 2 day power outage. Some people are still without power a week after the storm. Yesterday was the first day that got above freezing temperatures since the storm. We had the walkways and driveway cleared of most the snow and ice by last evening. We woke up to find that the ice had broken free and fallen from the trees during the night. Now we need to shovel up the "tree cubes". :blink:

$Ice from Tree on Walkway (2).jpg $Ice from Tree on Walkway (1).jpg

$Ice from Tree on Walkway (3).jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
gather it up and put it in your freezer. Free ice cubes!

But on a serious note...that looks and sounds really dangerous. all the falling ice from building/trees. not to mention no power for days on end.
I hope all is well up there.

Be careful and best wishes! I hate ice, as it's harder to get off of stuff than snow. I've also never discovered a quick and easy way to get rid of the stuff aside from hiring someone with power equipment.

I may have to buy some plant-safe defrosting stuff today . . .

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
gather it up and put it in your freezer. Free ice cubes!

But on a serious note...that looks and sounds really dangerous. all the falling ice from building/trees. not to mention no power for days on end.
I hope all is well up there.

We got lucky! The way it melted, I think most of it fell overnight. Today it got up to the mid 40s so most of the ice is off the trees. I image that the ice on some of the roofs could still cause trouble. Our own trees weathered this storm pretty well but a lot of trees really took a beating.

This is a tree across the road from us. All of the branches at its' base came from it.
$Tree Damage from Ice Storm.jpg

Be careful and best wishes! I hate ice, as it's harder to get off of stuff than snow. I've also never discovered a quick and easy way to get rid of the stuff aside from hiring someone with power equipment.

I may have to buy some plant-safe defrosting stuff today . . .

Thanks!

Bigfoot hates ice, he moved to Texas.

How's that working out for y'all. :001_tt2:

This is the rosemary by the front door of my sister's house in Fort Worth on the 6th of December. :lol:
proxy.php

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
We got lucky! The way it melted, I think most of it fell overnight. Today it got up to the mid 40s so most of the ice is off the trees. I image that the ice on some of the roofs could still cause trouble. Our own trees weathered this storm pretty well but a lot of trees really took a beating.

This is a tree across the road from us. All of the branches at its' base came from it.
View attachment 397424

Thanks!

How's that working out for y'all. :001_tt2:

This is the rosemary by the front door of my sister's house in Fort Worth on the 6th of December. :lol:
proxy.php

That is the way all of my bushes looked as well. It was a freakin nightmare. At least in Michigan they can clear it, we dealt with ice on the roads for 4 or 5 days, it just would not get warm enough to melt it.

Maybe Bigfoot needs to go to Michigan. :lol:

Glad you and yours are OK Connie. I was wondering where you were. There were some rookies in the BOTOC that needed your onion pic. I figured you couldn't pass that up LOL. Someone else posted it though so it's OK.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

View attachment 397424

Yikes! And a few more that need to come off it looks like. I only remember one bad ice storm when I lived in West Tennessee, near Memphis. Was only a kid then so to me it was fun. We lived on two relatively flat and treeless acres. a few inches of snow fell first, then ice. It fun walking/skating on top of the ice covered snow.

Still seeing the after affects here. Bozo didn't clean the sheet of ice on his SUV and as he was speeding down the hwy the entire sheet came off and into my side mirror. Thankfully I was paying attention or it would have been 100lbs at least of ice coming head on. Car is only three months old and the mirror is done and a nice dent in the car. Not looking forward to a post Christmas car repair visit.

Still seeing the after affects here. Bozo didn't clean the sheet of ice on his SUV and as he was speeding down the hwy the entire sheet came off and into my side mirror. Thankfully I was paying attention or it would have been 100lbs at least of ice coming head on. Car is only three months old and the mirror is done and a nice dent in the car. Not looking forward to a post Christmas car repair visit.

Just be thankful it was not a tractor trailer. That could be deadly. Glad you are safe.

Here is a tip on how to walk on Ice with out slipping.
take a pair of old wool socks and put them over the outside of your shoes.
The wool gives you good grip on the ice. Just don't walk around on things not ice because the wool will wear out in a short time.

Hope all of you are well ad stay safe.

Top Bottom