What's new

IB Semogue LE 2012

Lately, I've been using exclusively badger brushes only. For the duration of my brush AD this year, I've used 8 boar brushes - Semogue 1305, 830, 1800, 1250, 2011 LE2, 1470, Omega 31064 and 11712. My favourites are Semogue 1800 and Omega 11712. I've sold them all.

A couple of weeks ago I decided that I wanted to have at least one boar brush in my den to use for fun from time to time. I got attracted to the Italian colour scheme and the undyed knot of Italian Barber's Semogue LE 2012. It uses the same 90% tops Premium hair grade as in Semogue 1305.

I used it for the first time tonight after I'd given it 5 break in lathers. I was surprised how soft it was out of the box. No another boar brush had given me such decent first lather. Today, I decided it was ready for a real test. High percentage of the hair tips had split already. I soaked the knot well, let the excessive water drip, gave it a gentle shake, and loaded it heavily with Proraso soap, then face lathered. The preparation of good quality lather was quick and no brainer. The first impressions from the brush were very positive, and I totally enjoyed it. I can't complain from this brush. It's easy to lather, and although the tips are not completely split, they feel already soft on the skin. It needs a few more wet/dry cycles to become completely ready and satisfying. I can't distinguish the knot size, backbone and density from the 1305. It blooms more than the stiffer 1800 and even more so than 1250. It's very similar to high lofted Omegas. The handle is very comfortable, typical for this Semogue style, with cheerful colours, and most importantly, with bleached not dyed hairs.

I admit I prefer the different luxurious feel of my badgers, but this boar brush is very efficient, fun to use, and very inexpensive. There's nothing wrong with the performance of boar brushes. It's just a subjective personal preference to like them or not. Their prices make them very attractive and sufficient. I'm sure I'll use mine when in the mood.

proxy.php

Good looking brush Boris. To me, the paint job and knot suit that handle perfectly....

although I'm mainly a badger guy lately too, I still use my SOC on occasion and am tempted by this IB brush as well.

I hope it serves you well. I've found the splay a bit much in these & prefer their shorter ones. This one sure does look nicer without the fake badger band though.

I only have two boars (and 50 badger brushes).... a 620 and the IB LE... And the LE a very nice brush with surprisingly soft tips... I will remain a badger guy though, no doubt...

That is such a strange looking brush for me. A Portuguese brush-maker producing a brush with an Italian flag. Hee hee.
However, it sure looks beautiful. Enjoy the brush.

Thanks for the report. I love my 1305, but my only criticism is that I'm not a big fan of dyed bristles, so when I saw the IB Special I immediately ordered one. It arrived pretty quick in the UK, but I was heading off overseas for a while and I haven't had a chance to use it yet - I'm looking forward to its first use when I'm back next month.

And I think the Italian colour scheme looks good too - I was amused to buy a Portuguese brush in Italian colours from the Italian Barber in Canada!

My Italian Barber LE Semogue Arrived last week and I proceeded to test lather it last night to break it in. This was my first experience with a boar bristle brush which I had always written off as unacceptable in the past. Boy was I missing out. If you have trouble lathering soaps (like I do), a boar will absolutely tear up a puck and produce a ton of slick lather. The brush shed one hair during the break in so far. There is a little bit of funk but I figure 2 or 3 more lathers and most of that will go away.

From all of the horror stories I've heard about the handle's paint cracking on this brush, I am going to absolutely baby this thing. Obviously, only soak 2/3 the tips and keep the handle as dry as possible. For what it's worth, there seems to be a nice clear coat polish on this handle which I'm not sure is a new feature or not but it certainly seems glossy and perhaps this will help me avoid any chipping.

Can't wait to shave with this brush this week - it looks absoultely stunning with the italian color scheme and really classes up the shave den. Well done Italian Barber!

Top Bottom