What's new

I wounded my Thiers Issard!

Sigh... one of my better razors I have ever shaved with was a Genco 3/4 extra hollow fluid steel. I was touching it up on the hones one day at the kitchen table. I got up to take a break when my daughters cat (which she snuck in as a kitten without permission) jumped on the table and knocked it off onto the tile floor. Shattered enough of the blade that the razor is done. I still have it, though it is useless. I could turn it into a shorty, but it would be less than 2" as I lost that much of the bevel.

I was mad about that, the same as I was pretty upset at her bringing a kitten home and hiding it without permission. It didn't help matters that the cat was still a fairly new edition to my house when it destroyed my razor. Alas, now I think that cat is awesome. It is a mighty hunter, and about once monthly a juvenile rabbit is brought to my front doorstep. I throw it in the yard and I usually see the cat devouring it as I smoke my pipe on the porch. I had to hang the birdfeeder so the bottom is higher, as the cat would leap up and catch birds when it was lower. It's hard to be mad at a creature that fascinating.

I'm also made a soft ding or two on a faucet. Nothing I couldn't hone out with a few hours of work though.

This was a heart breaker. A NOS Filly dropped on the floor. I fixed it, but the memory is still painful. LOL

01230002_zpse14c5cee.jpg
01240010_zps878ef4fd.jpg

I did it without knowing somehow- some little ding that wasn’t visible but my strop told me immediately. Horrible feeling!!

I looked at the edge through my loop. It looks like just a tiny part of the tip rolled a little. Thank God!

Sigh... one of my better razors I have ever shaved with was a Genco 3/4 extra hollow fluid steel. I was touching it up on the hones one day at the kitchen table. I got up to take a break when my daughters cat (which she snuck in as a kitten without permission) jumped on the table and knocked it off onto the tile floor. Shattered enough of the blade that the razor is done. I still have it, though it is useless. I could turn it into a shorty, but it would be less than 2" as I lost that much of the bevel.
FWIW, my favorite blade length in a kamisori is 45-50mm.

Well, the guy who put the original edge on it is back from vacation. I've already given him the razor. I'll soon have my pretty baby back and as good as new.

Personally, I don't do stupid things.

Seriously though, so far so good, except that I've not paid sufficient attention to anti-rust routines, which has made me re-evaluate my drying process... in fact, just bought 91% alcohol based on the Ralf Aust thread...

Personally, I don't do stupid things.

Seriously though, so far so good, except that I've not paid sufficient attention to anti-rust routines, which has made me re-evaluate my drying process... in fact, just bought 91% alcohol based on the Ralf Aust thread...
Vaseline. Thank me later.

Reactions: PWJ
Top Bottom