What's new

i would like to get some opinions

Should I open and use a NOS 1973 Gillette Tech

• Open and use the 197 tech

• Keep the 1973 tech in the box mint condition

Results are only viewable after voting.
I purchased about a month ago a 1973 Tech off of a auction new in the box never opened still fully sealed with 1 NOS blade that came with it. I bought, use, collect etc... almost all my razors based on birth years of family members. Now here is my dilemma ...... I want to use this razor but does it hold greater value if it is still in the package never opened in MINT condition ? does it really matter or is this a use it if I want as I never plan on selling it. This is my wife's birth year razor and even she is on the fence she wants me to use it as she knows I enjoy different razors she honestly doesn't understand the whole wet shaving idea and was happier before I had a zillion razors in my house but at the same time wants me to use my purchases and see me happy doing so but I'm also kind of like well 20 years from now will this razor hold a $200 price tag if I leave it be. What is everyone's thoughts ? I personally have never used a tech but from my perspective and I could be way off a tech is nothing ultra special it's one of the more common .... whatever razors , a good shaver but nothing like my 1906 old type or my 1934 Aristocrat...... so what's the verdict open and use or leave it in the box ? Thanks !!!! here's a picture.

$009.jpg

Last edited:
a razor that is BNIB in an unopened package is worth more than a used one. as it's a fairly common razor I reckon you should use this one (to appease SWMBO) and try to find another one if you want to have one as a collectible.

really though, will something that might sell for $200 in 20yrs time really something worse hanging on to?

I personally think you should keep NOS items NOS. It would be pretty cheap and easy to find another tech, even the same year, that has already been opened if you want to see how it shaves.

WOW that was some fast replies....... Thanks everyone so far....just a reminder remember to vote in the poll it is much easier as I'm leaving this open and not making a decision for 14 days.... it's much easier to look at the poll than at every post for the next 14 days THANKS !!!!

I'm probably a poor choice to participate in your poll, Aaron. I enjoy using my vintage razors, and I've shaved with a couple of NOS razors I've acquired over the past few years without regret. No doubt many would rather preserve the value of a NOS by not using it, and I get that, but it's just not my thing. See, I told you that I would be of no help. :biggrin1:

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Is a poll really going to influence your decision? I am not being a smart rear end this is a serious question.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Once you open it another NOS razor is lost to the collectors and you now own another used Tech.

Is a poll really going to influence your decision? I am not being a smart rear end this is a serious question.

yes very serious..... I wanted first off to find out if a NOS would increase the value of the razor over time ( maybe a no brainer to some but not to me ) secondly I am a very bad on the fence kind of person when it comes to stuff like this..... and I value the information from our members here so yes this is a serious question and if most people said no I would take their advice ... if most said open that SOB than I would be posting a shave of the day. Yes this is a legit question.

I'm probably a poor choice to participate in your poll, Aaron. I enjoy using my vintage razors, and I've shaved with a couple of NOS razors I've acquired over the past few years without regret. No doubt many would rather preserve the value of a NOS by not using it, and I get that, but it's just not my thing. See, I told you that I would be of no help. :biggrin1:

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Not for nothing Jim but I still remember your advice and took it when it came to using barbacide on my vintage Rhodium and gold and it turned out fine so yeah your opinion counts to me.

Once you open it another NOS razor is lost to the collectors and you now own another used Tech.

That is a very good point .... you can see in the picture it's 40 years old and flawless mint....you have a very good point hence my dilemma.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
It's gonna shave just like every other modern Tech. What's special about yours ... well, you know. :thumbup1:

I vote leave it NOS. I too have used mint razors that I bought, but never if in a sealed package. I agree with what Nemo said. Good luck.

Being that you have this question in your heart and mind , I think for now leave it alone and get yourself a used one to shave with. If you decide you can always open it later on.

I'm ALL about using NOS razors if they're in a case, but in a brand new sealed package? That's just a cool piece of memorabilia. Leave it, buy another Tech for $10, and shave with it.

Some observations:
-The 'future value' thing is a weak argument. I doubt a Tech will be worth $200 in 20 years. In the past 40 years they've probably become worth less than their inflation-adjusted sale price. Even if it did, that's $10/year before inflation--not enough to justify mothballing a razor you'd rather use.
-Looking at Completed Listings on eBay, it looks like you paid pretty good chunk of change for that razor. Opening it will make it any other low-buck Tech. You'd be way better off financially to sell it to someone who'd rather have a BNIB razor (I'd love to have it, but too rich for me) and buy another Tech.
-True to the YMMV mantra, you may want to try out a Tech before you sink effort and money into finding a birth year one. I find it to be a rather poor shaver.

Top Bottom