What's new

I Wish Soap Makers Would Focus More on Scents Than Bases

They could get along with that game of introducing new scents (like they do now with bases) for a while, but if the scents don't offer something truly unique we'd catch on and stop purchasing them after a while.

I honestly believe we're getting close to that point with all the new bases coming out. Think of it like a base bubble kind of like the housing bubble from a decade ago.

The one area where the American artisans can really step up their game is in the scent department. The first to do it consistently will reap rewards I predict.
I don't think so. Michelle at Mystic Water has been putting out fantastic, perfectly blended scents for years. Cold River Soaps also have some superb scents. Oh, and Dr Jon's. But these soaps are not getting the attention that the people making new bases are.

I don't think so. Michelle at Mystic Water has been putting out fantastic, perfectly blended scents for years. Cold River Soaps also have some superb scents. Oh, and Dr Jon's. But these soaps are not getting the attention that the people making new bases are.

Dr. Jon’s Hydra has a fantastic scent.

I think artisans have to get the base right first before they can concentrate on scents. There’s one well-known soap on the boards that I won’t be buying again because while it smells fantastic I really don’t like its shave performance. But I think there are already great scents out there - I’ve been using B&M and WSP/Asylum soaps almost exclusively, as they tend to have the best of both worlds. B&M Leviathan, Fougere Gothique and Seville all hit both sweet spots for me. Lee has done WSP Tobacco and Asylum Royal Fougere, two of my favorite soaps as far as smell and face feel. So far I’ve only come across one soap for which I like the scent but don’t like the base, and that’s one I probably will not be buying again.

After thinking on it and reading the posts here I think I was perhaps sightly too harsh on what the artisans are putting out. It's certainly not bad by any means and there are some great scents out there to be sure. I was just put off by a couple bad scents in a row and posted here about it in haste.

But by and large the artisans are putting out good scents. And for the folks who want it there are the occasional collaborations with professional perfumers that have the potential to be more complex scents.

I was just frustrated about a couple weird scents in a row. And it's true some artisans definitely blend better than others. But thanks to samples it's easier than ever to figure out what you like.

I think where I differ from a lot of the fragrance aficionados here is that I only want a true cologne occasionally. Usually I'm looking for the weaker fragrance of an aftershave or strongly scented shave soap (Nuavia, particularly blue and red) and there just isn't as much of that around. I still want the complexity, just not as strong of a scent while around the house. As always, ymmv.

Edited to add: obligatory pic

View attachment 1126906

not to point out the obvious, but if you have not tried D.R. Harris Windsor then I would highly recommend as a cologne scent.

camo

not to point out the obvious, but if you have not tried D.R. Harris Windsor then I would highly recommend as a cologne scent.

camo

The last thing I need to do is go buy another soap, aftershave, or fragrance. I'm running out of places to store everything lol. Appreciate the recommendation though.

Top Bottom