What's new

I went against my better judgment and bought...

A new King C Gillette Double Edge Razor. It ran the princely sum of $29.99 at the nearest Walgreens Drug Store and came with five Gillette Platinum Blades.

I couldn't stand going back to the Equate (Walmart brand) twin-blade disposables anymore. (I'm saving those to have around my ears and the back of my neck).

I like the heavy feel of the razor and put a Dorco ST300 blade in it (I know, I know). I want to see if the blades perform any differently in the KCG than they did in the Parker 96R. I want a nice, close shave without putting myself on the altar in the form of self-sacrifice! (My Adam's Apple can't take any more abuse).

I'll let you know how it shaves as soon as I draw blood, er water for tomorrow's toilette. :001_tongu:thumbup1:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
The KCG is a good razor and I never cut myself using it, it is very mild but still gets a lot of use in my house. You would actually have to work very hard to cut yourself with it. I find it a very good razor and the brass chromed handle gives it some heft and makes it perform a little bit more aggressively. It hasn't got the best grip, but I have never had a problem with it even with wet hands.

The best use for the ST-300 is making cuts in the bread dough when baking! STP-301 is the Dorco Prime which are pretty good blades.

😁

Contrary to many people's belief, sharper blades usually give less irritation than duller ones. Just don't use much pressure.

I believe those King Gillette heads are made by Muhle in Germany. It's modeled after the R89 but with some minor differences. And the handle is made in China. For the price it seems like a good deal as long as you like the shave that it gives. Enjoy it!

I became impatient and went for it! (I hurriedly shaved with my old Norelco "triple-header" electric razor this morning before heading off to church).

Glory, Hallelujah! What a difference! No cuts, no nicks, no "errors"! This was an OUTSTANDING shave! (No "weepers" either). This takes me back 54 years to my first Gillette "Aristocrat" (gold-plated) razor. A nice, clean shave that will last until tomorrow morning.

I have no regrets. This was an excellent purchase!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Forgot to mention use the KCG blades that came with the razor, those Dorcos are by reputation some of the worst blades you can get. And maybe give the Parker another try with a KCG blade and see what you think of that

Forgot to mention use the KCG blades that came with the razor, those Dorcos are by reputation some of the worst blades you can get. And maybe give the Parker another try with a KCG blade and see what you think of that

I may just try that, but it seems as if the blade angle on the Parker 96R is too aggressive. Back during the 1960s, the American Safety Razor Company (Personna) used to brag about providing better shaves (after 7 uses) than even new Gillette Blue Blades.

I'll have to look into them, but re-purchasing KCG blades aren't cheap, and I don't particularly care for supporting their "woke" agenda. (This is the primary reason that I balked at purchasing this particular razor).

I plan on trying some of the Parker Super Platinum blades in the KCG Razor. If I can get an even better shave with only two passes, I'll be a "happy camper". :001_smile

I used the KCG again this morning and am delighted with the results. Repeated passes with the razor reminded me of "peach-fuzz days" and playing in the neighborhood park. Keeping clean-shaven has never been easier.

I have to hand it to Gillette, this razor is a winner!

Perhaps one day you will be persuaded to try The Winning Razor from Wet Shaving Club. To me, it greatly surpasses the DE89/R89 style razor (like the KCG). It's a little more expensive, but it's all stainless steel and has a head design that has minimal blade exposure but (IMO) very high efficiency. The Winning is made in the USA by Yates in Pennsylvania. Great, great razor at an impressive price.

Perhaps one day you will be persuaded to try The Winning Razor from Wet Shaving Club. To me, it greatly surpasses the DE89/R89 style razor (like the KCG). It's a little more expensive, but it's all stainless steel and has a head design that has minimal blade exposure but (IMO) very high efficiency. The Winning is made in the USA by Yates in Pennsylvania. Great, great razor at an impressive price.
I just spent over $67.00 on 3 Double Edge razors in a week. (I think I'll let my Debit Card cool down a wee bit before I do it again). :ohmy:

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
A new King C Gillette Double Edge Razor. It ran the princely sum of $29.99 at the nearest Walgreens Drug Store and came with five Gillette Platinum Blades.

I couldn't stand going back to the Equate (Walmart brand) twin-blade disposables anymore. (I'm saving those to have around my ears and the back of my neck).

I like the heavy feel of the razor and put a Dorco ST300 blade in it (I know, I know). I want to see if the blades perform any differently in the KCG than they did in the Parker 96R. I want a nice, close shave without putting myself on the altar in the form of self-sacrifice! (My Adam's Apple can't take any more abuse).

I'll let you know how it shaves as soon as I draw blood, er water for tomorrow's toilette. :001_tongu:thumbup1:
I love my King C. Gillette. The only blade that hasn't worked for me in it is a Derby Extra.

I only suggested it because they are excellent blades but I agree with everyone else that they are way too expensive
By golly, I believe you. I can't believe how well this razor shaves, especially with the not-so-great Dorco ST300 blades. The blades I have were made in Vietnam. (Trust me, in my Parker, these drew more blood than a punji stick)!

I wonder if the VietCong/NVA are getting their revenge 47 years after the end of the conflict? :eek2::bayrum2:

Top Bottom