What's new

I was sent an old razor

I know nothing really about straight razors. A fellow from another message board sent it to me. Any information on what i have here would be appreciated.

Also, should it be cleaned up/polished or left as is?

Wade & Butcher Sheffield

F708F89C-9543-4362-ADFD-E4F31CDBED34.jpeg
3521ED02-F787-40CF-934D-17EB4EC512A3.jpeg
CC9D1561-81DF-4BA4-B178-51F164DB719A.jpeg
663D0CBA-D96F-40B5-B04A-2AB7E07F1BB1.jpeg
61A582B2-E021-41F0-8C4D-1C4012A5E5D8.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
Mid 19th century W+B from Sheffield England with horn scales. Heavily tarnished, but doesn't look too pitted, so it could be cleaned up if you wanted to use it.

If you are planning on just keeping it for decoration I would leave it how it is. It looks old, and the tarnish actually helps prevent active rust, to a degree.

Legion

Staff member
So mid 1800s? Wow interesting. I would like to just display it.
Ok, well if you live somewhere dry you probably don't need to do much other than maybe wipe the blade with some rubbing alcohol to get any oils and fingerprints off, then making sure it does not get moisture on it.

If you live somewhere humid you might want to give it a light coat of Renaissance Wax, or at least some mineral oil.

You’ve got some active rust around the pivot pin, and maybe on the tail. I’d put some evaporust on a q tip and carefully wet the metal of one side (keeping the evaporust off the horn scales) until the red looking rust is converted to darker, stabilized black/grey color. Then do the other side. I’d just leave the rest of the patina as is too. To do it right you‘d have to send it to someone to unpin from the scales, clean the blade, then re-pin it.

I say this because that’s still a viable shaving razor, and I’d prefer it preserved. those look to be the original horn scales, and likely has a lead wedge at the other end of the scales.

Legion

Staff member
Value wise, is it like a gun in that it is better to leave it alone or does it matter?
No. If it is well restored it will not hurt its value at all. Will probably make it more valuable because it can be used. But obviously you don’t want to mess it up.

I have a couple of razors I have decided to leave as found, but they are a lot older than that one. My go to shaving razors are usually around that age and a similar grind.

No. If it is well restored it will not hurt its value at all. Will probably make it more valuable because it can be used. But obviously you don’t want to mess it up.

I have a couple of razors I have decided to leave as found, but they are a lot older than that one. My go to shaving razors are usually around that age and a similar grind.
Who is the go to for restoration?

Legion

Staff member
Who is the go to for restoration?
There are a couple of guys here who will get a shout out, I’m sure. But honestly, if you don’t intend to actually shave with it, don’t spend the money. It is only worth it if you are going to use it. You will not make your money back if you are paying to restore to sell.

I’m not planning to sell it.

Then the value is up to you, right?

i’d guess new scales* and a hone would be close to $75-100, the resto part of sanding(or grinder work) is unknown to me, as I’ve never asked, but lets estimate at $75 also. Thats around 150$ for shiny when nice new razors can be had for just $75 more. * i say new scales, because while those oem are nice, the current market looks for something a bit different than that basic horn from what I’ve seen.

just FYI, your 1st & 4th picture are the areas a lot of people mess up imho. They soften the angles trying to get it clean and shiny.

its a cool razor, i’d knockoff the active rust, get it honed and start shaving with it. If you love it, then maybe the clean up could be worth it.

the price premiums come with size like 8/8s+, that looks a bit smaller, is that right? Like 6/8s ish

Then the value is up to you, right?

i’d guess new scales* and a hone would be close to $75-100, the resto part of sanding(or grinder work) is unknown to me, as I’ve never asked, but lets estimate at $75 also. Thats around 150$ for shiny when nice new razors can be had for just $75 more. * i say new scales, because while those oem are nice, the current market looks for something a bit different than that basic horn from what I’ve seen.

just FYI, your 1st & 4th picture are the areas a lot of people mess up imho. They soften the angles trying to get it clean and shiny.

its a cool razor, i’d knockoff the active rust, get it honed and start shaving with it. If you love it, then maybe the clean up could be worth it.

the price premiums come with size like 8/8s+, that looks a bit smaller, is that right? Like 6/8s ish
As to the sizes, I am not familiar with the nomenclature.

I believe I will build a pretty little stand for it and perhaps the evaporust as was suggested.

Using a flat measuring tool, new measurement is from back of spine to edge at yellow line. usually this line is the longest but on occasion it is not if the point or heel are specifically exaggerated for some specific reason other than off honing

old measurement would be from highest point of honewear to bevel apex end along the yellow line

8/8 is an inch reference but obvi it xan be metric too

26548D4F-4123-458B-9BC5-83129F631E5C.jpeg

Using a flat measuring tool, new measurement is from back of spine to edge at yellow line. usually this line is the longest but on occasion it is not if the point or heel are specifically exaggerated for some specific reason other than off honing

old measurement would be from highest point of honewear to bevel apex end along the yellow line

8/8 is an inch reference but obvi it xan be metric too
😊 thank you

Top Bottom