What's new

I want to upgrade from Merkur 34C

:cornut:

My story might help:
View attachment 1132780
My first DE Razor "love" was a Mk1 Fatip Piccolo, which was quite a step up in efficiency/aggressiveness from the TTO Timor that I started with. (I didn't know about its "aggressive" reputation, I just got it because I liked the look of it.) After a while I got DE RAD (which many of us suffer from). I've certainly enjoyed all my experiments.

Moving up the "aggressive" scale I found that many "mild" razors didn't work for me. I purchased a RazoRock GC84 head because I liked the simple look of it so much:
View attachment 1132765

Initially I found that the GC84 wasn't "cutting it" at all. Then I remembered reading that good shavers could get a great shave with "any" razor. So I decided to "train" myself to get a great shave from the milder (to me) GC84. It worked! :biggrin:

Gillette Techs used to be the worst for me, or great for hopeless shaves. My new favorite, again after training (or should that be retraining) is a modern (P&G Chinese made) stainless steel Gillette Tech:
View attachment 1132769

I put my success down to being an SWB. :wink2:

How's the shave on the chinese gillette? And any alignment issues?

I recommend trying a Merkur 15C, which is a mild open comb razor. I was scared to use an open comb razor, but started with the 15C and now open combs are my favorites. Some open combs are milder than some closed combs and less likely to nick you. Just depends on the razor. Generally, open combs leave more shave cream on your face than closed combs and this can be protective.

I own a hell of lot of different razors - heaps of vintage Gillette’s, modern stainless and various zamac ones too. The Merkur is a great razor no matter what it’s made of. I consider most of my other razors as something different rather than an upgrade - being 100% honest here too.
Don't take it as an offense, but it's nothing to do with the razor. You're inexperienced and your technique is yet to be developed.

Instead of trying to get a "perfect razor", approach this from a different perspective - what is that you want to achieve - a BBS every time, no irritation, super-fast shave or smth. else altogether...

Thanks, gents. I completely agree. I think I needed a couple of more shaves to get familiar with it. I had a slow shave this morning and got a great result. I used a Personna Blue blade. My face feels smooth and great with no irritation - just a little over the lip area... but is really my fault. I think the 37C is becoming one of my favourite razors.

I think I was too hasty in ordering the Rocca. I kinda regret it now. Anyways, I got it today. It's expensive but - wow - the quality is superb. It's also very heavy. This time I'll use a few times before giving any view.

Thanks, gents. I completely agree. I think I needed a couple of more shaves to get familiar with it. I had a slow shave this morning and got a great result. I used a Personna Blue blade. My face feels smooth and great with no irritation - just a little over the lip area... but is really my fault. I think the 37C is becoming one of my favourite razors.
Slantember is coming up in a few days. Why not join us in the fun with slant razors for a whole month and dial in that razor. By the end of September you will have no irritation. You don't have to use the slant razor every day in the month but you can trade stories with the other slant razor users.
The thread is here; Slantember (Used to be September) Is For Slants! | Version 3 | 2020 - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/slantember-used-to-be-september-is-for-slants-version-3-2020.593955/

Top Bottom