What's new

I want to upgrade from Merkur 34C

I have been using the 34C for over 26 years and have not found any upgrade yet...
:cornut:
Really? No modern razor on the market today could be an upgrade to the 34C? Wow, that's quite a revelation there! So it's all hype :302:... Jeez! I'm sure I'm not fully understanding what you mean.
My story might help:
Fatip-Piccolo.jpg

My first DE Razor "love" was a Mk1 Fatip Piccolo, which was quite a step up in efficiency/aggressiveness from the TTO Timor that I started with. (I didn't know about its "aggressive" reputation, I just got it because I liked the look of it.) After a while I got DE RAD (which many of us suffer from). I've certainly enjoyed all my experiments.

Moving up the "aggressive" scale I found that many "mild" razors didn't work for me. I purchased a RazoRock GC84 head because I liked the simple look of it so much:
GC84_2018-10-27.jpg

Initially I found that the GC84 wasn't "cutting it" at all. Then I remembered reading that good shavers could get a great shave with "any" razor. So I decided to "train" myself to get a great shave from the milder (to me) GC84. It worked! :biggrin:

Gillette Techs used to be the worst for me, or great for hopeless shaves. My new favorite, again after training (or should that be retraining) is a modern (P&G Chinese made) stainless steel Gillette Tech:
Olive-Set-G-700_2020-07-09.jpg

I put my success down to being an SWB. :wink2:

@Old Hippie, thanks for the long reply much appreciated.

@Cal, thanks for that, it makes sense. I get it now. Today I shaved with the Feather Popular. It's my first DE razor and haven't used it in a year. It's so much milder than the 34C. It's frustrating because it forces me to put pressure. I got a pretty DFS without much drama but I won't be using it again, ever. Though, I'm sure if I'd keep using I'd get easily used to it. 👍

I think I'll try the 37C next and then maybe the CG84/68OC once it's back in stock. To be honest I'd like to try them all.

Thanks all for the recommendations. This is a great site.

Reactions: Cal
First, the 34C is tough to beat if you like the mild/moderate razor range, which I do!

Second, you are looking at some fine options.

I would also consider an adjustable, either something vintage like a Slim or FatBoy, or one with multiple base-plate options.

The main thing IMO is to ENJOY the journey!! :a29:

I went from using a 34c to a Blackbird. Awesome upgrade in both looks and performance. Much more efficient with lots of blade feel and absolutely no irritation. Highly recommend.

I thought I'd give an update on the 37C.

First shave, my face felt sore ... for days.
Second shave wasn't much better, and I was ready to sell it on eBay.
Third shave went better and changed my mind. It has potential.
Fourth shave, I actually enjoyed myself, but my face still felt a bit sore, like it's hard done by (for lack of a better term).

It's definitely more efficient than the 34C but not by much. It has less drag and seems to cut easier. However, I still had to buffer around the chin area a bit. It feels a bit "dangerous" - I have to focus more on what I'm doing in order not to cut myself. If I make a mistake or get sloppy it will not forgive, whereas with the 34C I can be less mindful. Probably because I'm not used to it.

Still, I don't know if I can live with this razor. My face doesn't seem to like it. So I've ordered the Muhle Rocca R96.:biggrin1:

I have to focus more on what I'm doing in order not to cut myself. If I make a mistake or get sloppy it will not forgive, whereas with the 34C I can be less mindful. Probably because I'm not used to it.

Still, I don't know if I can live with this razor. My face doesn't seem to like it.
Come back to the 37C when your technique improves. You will like it a lot more then. If your face is sore you are probably forcing the razor to do it's job rather than letting the blade cut cleanly.
The chin area is a tough area to shave for most so do not be discouraged; blade buffing and J-hooking are some of the techniques to overcome those tough areas.
From what I have heard the Muhle Roca has a bigger blade gap than the Merkur 34C but not sure about the blade exposure. You will still have a learning curve with that razor.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
The Muhle Rocca is a very fine razor, but imo it's quite aggressive, yet smooth. It's often described here as coming in somewhere between the 89 and the 41 and I think that's fairly accurate.

I had the Muhle Rocca and have found it to bee too aggressive and not very smooth. Had to give it up. It is a nice looking razor though.

Fourth shave, I actually enjoyed myself, but my face still felt a bit sore, like it's hard done by (for lack of a better term).

It's definitely more efficient than the 34C but not by much. It has less drag and seems to cut easier. However, I still had to buffer around the chin area a bit. It feels a bit "dangerous" - I have to focus more on what I'm doing in order not to cut myself. If I make a mistake or get sloppy it will not forgive, whereas with the 34C I can be less mindful. Probably because I'm not used to it.

Still, I don't know if I can live with this razor. My face doesn't seem to like it. So I've ordered the Muhle Rocca R96.:biggrin1:
You just need to get used to the 37c. You don't say which blade you are using, but try a mid-sharp blade such as Rapira Platinum Lux, etc. Guide the razor without using much pressure. The 37c has a natural angle, once you find it consistently you will be "in the groove" with it.

Have you considered the Razorock Lupo? Once I got used to the light weight I found it to be quite efficient
and not overly aggressive.

I started out with a 34C - great razor but mild. Took me a while, but I now enjoy the closer shaves I am getting from my GC .84 SB and GC .68 OC.

Just keep sticking with it, and your technique and results will improve. And use a light touch with a more efficient razor.

What I like about the GC is I can try different plates without breaking the bank.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used a 34c for years and when I wanted an update I went with a 37c... it's more aggressive than the 34 and requires a bit more technique... but not much. I agree however that it produced more irritation than the 34 and it made me appreciate my aftershave balms. :) I recently updated to a Timeless Ti .94 OC. I was afraid it was going to be too aggressive and had stayed away from OCs but purchased one because of recommendations and their return policy.... as it turns out the Timeless was substantially more comfortable and gave me a better shave.... Having been in your shoes already I can't recommend the Timeless enough.... and no special or advanced technique required. Of course, every face is different but I couldn't be happier.

I loved the 34C. I learned to shave with it. It was a long and difficult road but I stuck with it and by the end, I was really enjoying myself and getting some great shaves. I paired it with Gilette 7 o'clock Yellow blades.

I've sold the 34C. Yesterday I shaved with it for the last time. I've no regrets; it's too mild for me now. I missed the higher efficiency and easying of cutting of the 37C.

The Rocca doesn't get much love here. It's rarely recommended or even mentioned, if ever. But on another forum, it's quite well-reviewed. Users seem to be quite enjoying this razors. The QC issue seems to be completely resolved. I'm really curious about this razor.

I was going with Rockwell 6C but with shipping to the UK it's almost as much as the Rocca, so I got the Rocca. I think shaving with an HQ razor makes the experience of shaving even better. Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

I own a hell of lot of different razors - heaps of vintage Gillette’s, modern stainless and various zamac ones too. The Merkur is a great razor no matter what it’s made of. I consider most of my other razors as something different rather than an upgrade - being 100% honest here too.

Don't take it as an offense, but it's nothing to do with the razor. You're inexperienced and your technique is yet to be developed.

Instead of trying to get a "perfect razor", approach this from a different perspective - what is that you want to achieve - a BBS every time, no irritation, super-fast shave or smth. else altogether...

Top Bottom