What's new

I want to upgrade from Merkur 34C

I've been using the 34C for about a year. It's been great for learning to shave but it's become too mild. I tried the shimming trick but it was too aggressive. It lost the smoothness that I enjoy of the 34C. I had to be really careful not to cut myself. I didn't like it, at all.
I would like a more efficient razor than the 34C but also smoother, if possible. I don't want an aggressive razor.

The ones I've been considering to try:

Merkur 37C
Everyone who's tried the 37C seems to have liked it, and it's more efficient than the 34C. Negative: there's a learning curve.

GC .68
This is probably the most popular razor here. In terms of efficiency, it seems to be similar to the 34C, but maybe smoother, which is a plus.
However, I bought the MJ90+A (before the 34C) which was very, very mild and made me wonder whether RR knew what they're doing... but so many people can't be wrong about the GC.

Rocca
This was love at first sight. It seemed to tick all the boxes: efficient, smooth, beautiful. Then I started reading about the QC issues. But the latest version seems to be okay. However, this razor never gets mentioned. I read a few threads where most razors are recommended but the Rocca is very rarely mentioned. Why is the Rocca never mentioned? What's wrong with this razor?

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Rocca, but the QC issue bothers me.

Any other I should consider?

You can't go wrong with the Razorock GC68 but it will give you about the same results then the 34C if you want something more versatile I can highly recommend the Rockwell 6S/6C which goes from mild to medium aggressive
Would you say the GC68 is smoother than the 34C?

GC84

Love the look and specs on the Rocca but have shied away so far.

I have used a 34C as my travel razor for years and loved it but when I saw the GC84 with the HD handle I new it was the one.

I, like most folks here have way too many razors l, am always looking for the perfect shave, so keep buying more... ATT Alas S1, RR Mamba 70, One Blade Genesis, 1961 Gillette Fatboy... and so many more...

Until in got a GC84. I have to say of all the hyped razors I've purchased over the years this is the first one to live up to said hype on the very first shave!

I know IB just released a new version of the Baby Smooth in stainless but I, for the first time, said "why bother?"

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

You can't go wrong with the Razorock GC68 but it will give you about the same results then the 34C if you want something more versatile I can highly recommend the Rockwell 6S/6C which goes from mild to medium aggressive
I've considered that too. So many choices.

GC84

Love the look and specs on the Rocca but have shied away so far.

I have used a 34C as my travel razor for years and loved it but when I saw the GC84 with the HD handle I new it was the one.

I, like most folks here have way too many razors l, am always looking for the perfect shave, so keep buying more... ATT Alas S1, RR Mamba 70, One Blade Genesis, 1961 Gillette Fatboy... and so many more...

Until in got a GC84. I have to say of all the hyped razors I've purchased over the years this is the first one to live up to said hype on the very first shave!

I know IB just released a new version of the Baby Smooth in stainless but I, for the first time, said "why bother?"

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Thanks so much for the input. Some people seem to find it too aggressive for everyday use. If I order the GC I will get both plates for sure.

GC84 is the obvious choice, in my opinion. The GC68 is great, but it’s very mild and won’t give you noticeably more efficiency than the 34c. I don’t consider the GC84 to be an aggressive razor. It’s extremely comfortable and smooth, yet highly efficient.

The Muhle Rocca is a very fine razor, but imo it's quite aggressive, yet smooth. It's often described here as coming in somewhere between the 89 and the 41 and I think that's fairly accurate.

GC84 is an efficient option. It can be a bit aggressive for a daily shave but I've found it very enjoyable for 2-3 days of growth.

Another good option is Karve razor. I hear that the B plate is a good mild and efficient option.

Another one for the GC .84 here. My 34C is in a drawer now. It's not a problem to shave daily with this. The .68 would be too close to your 34C. Redundant except for better handle options.

. . . and I also recommend the German 37 over the Merkur. Handle options!!
My very favorite handle is the RR barber pole, bu it is out of stock for now.

I have been using the 34C for over 26 years and have not found any upgrade yet...
Really? No modern razor on the market today could be an upgrade to the 34C? Wow, that's quite a revelation there! So it's all hype :302:... Jeez! I'm sure I'm not fully understanding what you mean.

Anyways, both CGs are out of stock and I will have to get on the waiting list. Same goes for the Karve aluminium. I've noticed Muhle has an HQ here in the UK. Maybe I can ask them to send me one to try. We'll see.

Skip the GC .68 SB and get the .84 SB. You already own a mild razor. Then if you love the GC, you can always get a .68 SB plate later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Well, I'll be honest and say I don't really like "regular" DE razors all that much. I like the quirky, the oddball, the "let's-try-this-and-see-what-happens."

Oh, nothing AGAINST regular DEs! Just I prefer to spend my time with other razors.

You mention a "learning curve" with the Merkur 37C. It's the same handle and weight as the 34C. You've got this. I'll remind you that simply by learning how to wet-shave you've now got about 95 per cent of the learning curve behind you.

You *know* it's sharp. You *know* some technique. I predict your learning curve with the 37C is about two shaves long. [grin] It should even succeed with whatever blades you're already using.

The main engineering feature of slant razors is that they add extra tension to the blade, which makes it more rigid and less likely to skip or chatter. They also change the edge presentation angles a bit, although in a differential way across the edge exposure. That can lead to a smoother, less irritating shave.

There are some regular DEs out there that are specifically designed to add more tension without torquing the blade like a helical slant. The RazoRock BBS is one of them, and the newest. All stainless, made in Canada, and there's already a thriving user group with some suggestions, tweaks and tips for getting the best shave out of it.

There are, by the way, several kinds of slants. The two main divisions are helical (like the Merkur 37C; it both tilts and twists the blade) and tilted (like the iKon 102 or PAA Alpha Ecliptic; which do not twist the blade, only tilt it). You can tell which is which looking at the razors. With helical slants viewed from one side the bars (or combs if OC) cross to make an X shape, while with tilted slants viewed from the side the bars or combs both tilt the same direction depending on which side you're looking at.

You're looking for a fairly mild shaver. Let me recommend the Merkur 37C! It's not the least expensive option but it won't hurt you to own two Merkur razors. [grin] Others in that general category that I've used are the iKon X3, the Parker Semi-Slant, and the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Alpha Ecliptic. I thought the AE was a little more aggressive than the Parker or the iKon.

The Alpha Ecliptic is a rendition of the Walbusch "humpback" slant, a tilted slant that has a built-in shaving-angle guide. I had some struggles with it, which means once I've chased a couple other rabbits down their holes I'm going all-in for a lineup of tilted slants to try out. The iKon and the Parker are both alloy razors, and I thought the Parker was just a little smoother and efficient.

A little higher up the price chain we have the ATT S1, a safety bar helical slant; and the S2, an open comb helical slant. I've used and love the S2. I find it to be smoother and less fiddly than the Merkur, but YMMV.

Unless you really want to work on your technique, you will probably not want the RazoRock Wunderbar. It's a lovely razor but it IS aggressive and requires a little more care.

I have not used so cannot comment on the Fatip Lo Storto. I've also not used many bakelite razors because I prefer a little more heft. Many of the vintage European slants are bakelite and/or Zamak -- not a criticism but a point of information. iKon also makes the Shavecraft 102, a tilted slant. I imagine it's hard to find and worth some treasure, but there is even an adjustable slant, the Walbusch B5 if I remember correctly.

O.H.

The Merkur 37C is the obvious choice for you.
If you fancy the GC get the .68 OC.
The Rocca is not what you want.
If you want to spend big get the Timeless .68.
SS Timeless if you like heavy.
Ti if you want light.
SS top cap, Ti base plate for a middle ground.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Well... You could take my Gamechanger .68 off my hands... Great upgrade and will make a 34c user happy until RAD takes hold. PM me. I'll be putting it up on BST soon.

Top Bottom