What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

I want to upgrade from Merkur 34C

Cal

Contributor
I have been using the 34C for over 26 years and have not found any upgrade yet...
:cornut:
Really? No modern razor on the market today could be an upgrade to the 34C? Wow, that's quite a revelation there! So it's all hype :302:... Jeez! I'm sure I'm not fully understanding what you mean.
My story might help:
Fatip-Piccolo.jpg
My first DE Razor "love" was a Mk1 Fatip Piccolo, which was quite a step up in efficiency/aggressiveness from the TTO Timor that I started with. (I didn't know about its "aggressive" reputation, I just got it because I liked the look of it.) After a while I got DE RAD (which many of us suffer from). I've certainly enjoyed all my experiments.

Moving up the "aggressive" scale I found that many "mild" razors didn't work for me. I purchased a RazoRock GC84 head because I liked the simple look of it so much:
GC84_2018-10-27.jpg

Initially I found that the GC84 wasn't "cutting it" at all. Then I remembered reading that good shavers could get a great shave with "any" razor. So I decided to "train" myself to get a great shave from the milder (to me) GC84. It worked! :biggrin:

Gillette Techs used to be the worst for me, or great for hopeless shaves. My new favorite, again after training (or should that be retraining) is a modern (P&G Chinese made) stainless steel Gillette Tech:
Olive-Set-G-700_2020-07-09.jpg

I put my success down to being an SWB. :wink2:

@Old Hippie, thanks for the long reply much appreciated.

@Cal, thanks for that, it makes sense. I get it now. Today I shaved with the Feather Popular. It's my first DE razor and haven't used it in a year. It's so much milder than the 34C. It's frustrating because it forces me to put pressure. I got a pretty DFS without much drama but I won't be using it again, ever. Though, I'm sure if I'd keep using I'd get easily used to it. 👍

I think I'll try the 37C next and then maybe the CG84/68OC once it's back in stock. To be honest I'd like to try them all.

Thanks all for the recommendations. This is a great site.

Reactions: Cal

BigJ

Ambassador
First, the 34C is tough to beat if you like the mild/moderate razor range, which I do!

Second, you are looking at some fine options.

I would also consider an adjustable, either something vintage like a Slim or FatBoy, or one with multiple base-plate options.

The main thing IMO is to ENJOY the journey!! :a29:

I went from using a 34c to a Blackbird. Awesome upgrade in both looks and performance. Much more efficient with lots of blade feel and absolutely no irritation. Highly recommend.