What's new

I want to try new razor

You'll get a ton of responses to this question. I'll just offer a warning as someone who started with a DE89 but wanted something "better"--the DE89 is an excellent razor that will give you comfortable shaves day in and day out. It's fun to try everything, but my experience is that a $300 razor and a $20 razor can give you the same results if you spend time perfecting your technique with either.

Have fun going down the rabbit hole and good luck finding your holy grail razor! And since you asked, if I had to give up all my razors but one, I'd keep my Razorock Mamba 70 so I guess that's my suggestion--I think it was about $60. But I'll add that of my 40 to 50 razors, the DE89 would still make my top 10.
Gotta agree on the cost factor. Throwing more money at a razor won't guarantee a better shave. I just received a new razor head from WCS - Lithe, designed by Charcoal goods. The head will allow you a shortcut to developing your proper head angle technique.

It was on sale, shipping is free (for now) and I've already got several different handles to put it on.
Today was my 2nd shave with it & I got a smooth, close, easy and non irritating honest 12 hour shave with it. Easily a $50 razor performance if you want to stick a performance pricetag on it. Of course, I'm also happy with the RazoRock Teck II shave quality - and it's a simple task to replace that ugly handle with something else.
If you don't need a prestigious or pretentious name brand label for your razor, get one of these. If you DO need a glitzy nametag, you can still buy one of any of the well made & expensive stainless handles for it.

I recommend two reasonably priced razors for you, both open combs.

First is the Schone Open Comb. It's a moderately aggressive razor that would mow down your course beard easily. It's very smooth, is made of nickel coated brass. And it's insanely cheap for such a quality razor. My only issue with it, and it's a minor one, is that the handle is hollow and open at the end which allows water to get in there. It doesn't do anything to the razor but the water sometimes runs down my arm. A minor annoyance that is easily justified by the super low price.

image.png

The other is the RazoRock GameChanger Open Comb. It's made of stainless steel, is also moderately aggressive and similarly reasonably priced for a SS razor. It comes with a variety of different handles. I got it with the HD handle for it's deep knurling to assist grip and it's solid weight and feel in the hand. There is also another similar model they call JAWS where the teeth are spaced further apart. I've not tried that one but I've heard from others that it is slightly more aggressive and I don't believe my face would be able to handle it as a daily shaver.

image.png

These two are my favorite modern razors. As far as vintage is concerned, I'm a huge fan of the Gillette New Deluxe. And I stick it on a modern handle, the Ikon Bulldog 85mm. Those three are really all the razors I could ever need. Good luck in your search.

Enjoy the Muhle R41! Incidentally it was the second DE I purchased after my EJ DE89lbl. Take your time and perfect your technique to it...you will love the beast! I do!

R41 and gamechanger .84. You can get the whole gamechanger and then get a R41 head only from Maggards. Should all be under $100

I recommend two reasonably priced razors for you, both open combs.

First is the Schone Open Comb. It's a moderately aggressive razor that would mow down your course beard easily. It's very smooth, is made of nickel coated brass. And it's insanely cheap for such a quality razor. My only issue with it, and it's a minor one, is that the handle is hollow and open at the end which allows water to get in there. It doesn't do anything to the razor but the water sometimes runs down my arm. A minor annoyance that is easily justified by the super low price.

View attachment 1041919

The other is the RazoRock GameChanger Open Comb. It's made of stainless steel, is also moderately aggressive and similarly reasonably priced for a SS razor. It comes with a variety of different handles. I got it with the HD handle for it's deep knurling to assist grip and it's solid weight and feel in the hand. There is also another similar model they call JAWS where the teeth are spaced further apart. I've not tried that one but I've heard from others that it is slightly more aggressive and I don't believe my face would be able to handle it as a daily shaver.

View attachment 1041920

These two are my favorite modern razors. As far as vintage is concerned, I'm a huge fan of the Gillette New Deluxe. And I stick it on a modern handle, the Ikon Bulldog 85mm. Those three are really all the razors I could ever need. Good luck in your search.
Beautiful handle

Hello I am using Edwin jagger de 89 for some time and I want to treat myself with something better for Christmas. I have extremely coarse hair that grows fast and in all directions in neck area. Could you suggest something I could buy and try? Budget, let’s say up to 90 usd

Try and get a vintage Red Tip Superspeed....it is really an amazing razor...efficient and very comfortable.
The US made ones are pretty affordable...the UK made ones are superior, rarer and cost a fair bit more
than $90.

Top Bottom