What's new

I want to try Martin de Candre Artisan Shaving Soap, recommend a scent.

I want to try for the first time Martin de Candre Artisan Shaving Soap. I have these 3 scents in mind. Would you please recommend one of these scents. The Original, Fougere, or Agrumes. Thanks

Agrumes is a nice citrus scent but nothing special. The Fougere is unique and quite nice. Haven't tried the Original. Like boilerphan my favorite is the Vetiver.

Original is a year around scent. Agrumes more for warmer weather. Fougere colder weather. Just my opinion and 2 cents. All are terrific. Buy any (or all) with confidence.

If you despise mist scent avoid Original, without at least sniffing it.

Funny thing is that I don't like mint scents in my shaving gear but was totally sold on Original's scent so I bought one.
Shop I visited had all as samples to see, I agree with the rest that Fougere is the most appealing but my preference would be the vetiver (I am a vetiver fan, though).
From a wide selection of, mainly European, soaps that I saw there MDC and Pannacrema where the most balanced and complex at the same time, scent-wise. I like LPL's scent profiles but somehow they lack balance (for example the Fougere is a little citric forward), Abate y la Mantia and Dr. Harris are balanced but less complex (Laurel and Marlborough being the ones that ticked me).
I think that there are numerous artisan soaps that may exceed MDC in terms of scent (at least from what I read here) but most of them are mainly USA based or very hard to source in Greece (small market, hard for shops to justify very wide selection in shaving gear).

Last edited:
Agrumes. I have a sample of Fougere...meh. To each his own...

Interesting. It seems everyone here loves the Fougere.
I decided to try a sample instead of diving in. The only samples I could get were the Original and the Rose. I 'll see how that goes.

I don’t like the Fougere or the Original. There’s a medicinal quality to the scent that doesn’t sit well with me, but I do love Vetyver! Great stuff!

Top Bottom