What's new

I want to put my head through a wall you Synthetic Brush you!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
To me, each type of brush has special and specific strengths. I enjoy the variety that Synthetic, Boar and Badger brushes provide. Variety is the spice of life! :)

Brushes are a very personal choice and YMMV. :)

your post just got me thinking about splay.i think i know what you mean, but when i paint brush, my knots "splay" also, just not "sunflower" radial. Are you talking about twisting or mashing the knot?

Yes, the pushing down on a brush to get that 360 degree spread. I tried to find a picture to illustrate:

shave brush splay.jpg

This isn't exactly what I mean by the splay to avoid, but I've found I don't need this kind of forceful action to get a lather. However, I would think that the right synth could provide it, without harming the brush.

I've been a daily safety razor shaver for 10 years now and ready to wave the white flag. I want to like the synthetic brush thing but maybe not for me? I used tuxedo, cashmere, and pils knots 22mm to 26mm and nope. They're either too floppy or too much backbone or backbone with difficultly of splaying.
My current favourite brush is a Yaqi 26mm Tuxedo that has medium-high backbone. When I first got it, I was surprised by how firm it felt. But, I just used a trick that my Dad taught me to get a really stiff brush to splay: Start on the point of your chin.

Once the knot starts to fan out, swirl it up to your cheek and start lathering.

Thanks for your pov, I like synthetics mainly for travel. I currently have a 24 mm plissoft (too soft) and a 26mm yaqi tuxedo that has decent backbone but almost need to mash it. I do use paintbrush technique when using my simpson commodore and colonel. I also own a zenith boar and an Italian 25mm horse hair brush.

Yes, the pushing down on a brush to get that 360 degree spread. I tried to find a picture to illustrate:

View attachment 1123608

This isn't exactly what I mean by the splay to avoid, but I've found I don't need this kind of forceful action to get a lather. However, I would think that the right synth could provide it, without harming the brush.

The Edwin Jagger 21mm and 23mm synthetics can do that easily. I can't speak for the 25mm personaly.

I'm one that tends to like some backbone. I found Muhle's STF too sparse. It would be better if denser and with a shorter loft. I would say Shavemac over that. The brush I have that I like better is a Plisson (yes, that brand, not the knots advertised as Plissoft, etc). It doesn't have as much back bone as I'd like, but it's more like a real natural fiber, rather like badger with light backbone, not floppy, but not firm. I tried a Trafalger, thought I'd really like it and found it was too stiff for me and hard to splay. I also have a brush with an ACE not that is a little firmer that I like as well or better if I want some scrub and it was cheaper than the Plisson.

In general though, synthetics are not where they need to be for me. I prefer ANY natural fiber brush to them. Maybe in time the right synth might come along, but I think we're generations of fiber advancements away from that for me. None of them hold water in the same way a natural fiber can. Yes they can retain water, but if you push too hard, all the water dumps out instantly like pouring from a cup. Perhaps the industry needs to explore something in the way of porous or hollow fibers to get that quality correct.

I would say don't feel you have to like a synthetic just because others are over the moon about them. We all have our likes and dislikes. No one's are more valid than another's. It's a subjective area.

Same for me. None of the synthetics have the feel or performance of natural fibers for me, and I've tried a lot, always hopeful. A smooth, impervious synthetic fiber just won't behave the same way as an absorptive natural fiber when in contact with water. May be a better feel for some - just not for me.

What are the advantages of synthetic? I'm looking into because I heard they lather quickly and are low maintenance
That sounds about right. And they feel soft and pretty good on the face (Depends on the bristles but most of the time). They don't feel like badger or boars but I still enjoy them.

I like synthetics. They make better lather than natural brushes IMO but that just my opinion. If you don't like them, use what you like. I like a brush that splays pretty easily too and I've found Plissofts to be ok in that regard. I have found that synthetics need some break in. I really wasn't impressed with the Muhle STF. It did get better after about a week of use but it's still not as good as Plissoft for me. The Plisson brush is one of the easiest to splay, I guess because it has a pretty long loft. The one tuxedo knot I've got is far too springy for my liking but it also got better with a week or so of use. Still not anywhere near one of my favorites though. There are quite a few I haven't tried yet so there might be better ones out there but if you like a brush that splays, I'd say Plisson is one to try, followed by any plissoft with a lot of loft.

Besides easy lathering and easy maintenance they are generally cheaper and also rule out skin reactions since some people could developed irritation from boar & badger, my two favourite brushes are synthetics The Razorock plisoft 24mm and the Stirling 2 band 24mm

Hmm... I rather enjoy synths. The Omega S line is nice and scrubby, just as effective as any boar I've used but no soak, no stink, and it's a bit less rough if you have sensitive skin. It picks up soaps some people struggle with, like Williams, very well. The Razorock Bruce brush is also great, very soft but plenty of grab on your stubble. For me the Omega works well with both cream and soap but I find the razorock a bit too soft for very hard soaps and always stuck to creams and croaps with that one.

I don't know how you can face lather without making the tips work, aka splay. Paint only the soap and then paint only your face - you know like Simpson directions? That would work for some, I'm sure. Here's an example of maybe a wee bit too much splay. I'm not dissing the guy, love his vids.

Rud Shaves SPLAY.png

You don't have to like synthetics. I bought one (that was well thought of at the time of purchase) and tried it. It wasn't good enough to make me want to try others. I'll stick with badgers and boars.

Just use whatever works! I hated synthetics at first, they splay weird. But then I tried again and have traded the goofy splay for no pre-soaking, way less soap usage, lightning fast lather time, and a super soft face feel. If none of these areas cause you any issues with your natural brushes, just keep using them!

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Besides easy lathering and easy maintenance they are generally cheaper and also rule out skin reactions since some people could developed irritation from boar & badger, my two favourite brushes are synthetics The Razorock plisoft 24mm and the Stirling 2 band 24mm

I can see this. I have gotten “brush burn” from brushes in the past. In fact, I have to be pretty careful with my Thater Beehive 2 Band. I can see the natural hairs being more rough on the skin.

I am a big badger fan still, though, but the badgers I tend to reach for are quite expensive and very soft tipped.

Top Bottom