What's new

I want to put my head through a wall you Synthetic Brush you!

I've been a daily safety razor shaver for 10 years now and ready to wave the white flag. I want to like the synthetic brush thing but maybe not for me? I used tuxedo, cashmere, and pils knots 22mm to 26mm and nope. They're either too floppy or too much backbone or backbone with difficultly of splaying. Am I missing some thing here? Suggestions anyone? Thought about trying one of the omega or simpson synthetics but part of me wonders if I would be just flushing my money down the toilet! Oh by the way, I exclusively face lather. Thanks for everyones help.

Why is it that you want to like synthetic? I can state for myself synthetics aren't worth it for myself for the most part, despite having a good number. Frankly, I can't think of much I don't have. Part of it is attributed to people talking about how great they are, and succumbing to flavor of the month. I can say the same for boar, but have a greater preference there. Thankfully I never went wild on horse hair brushes. Badgers. Badgers were a different matter and I love those, but have even succumbed there in a way to 2-bands. My preference lies in 3-bands, but I do appreciate 2-bands too.

If you were to continue on to one more synthetic to see if they are for you, I would suggest either a EJ/Muhle, or an Omega Evo with my vote going to the latter. The Muhle used to be my favorite, but was displaced by the Omega. They come closer to my preference of badger while being a different classification of hair. I appreciate synthetic's ability to dry faster, and is my choice for a trip where I am concerned if the brush dries in time, and also in case I forget it. I have a cheap Plissoft 28mm brush for that purpose. I wouldn't want to leave my Evo behind, or one of my more premium synthetics. I don't know what it is but the Omega Evo I swear retains water better, and doesn't sling lather around. They only have larger knots, but I would recommend that. Wait for a 20% off sale at WCS or somewhere else to get one cheaper. I got mine during Black Friday. The Muhle/EJ would also be good. I feel the Omega splays better, and not too much backbone, but I'm perplexed of what brush you found the backbone to be too much. That is not a strength of the synthetic brush.

I love synthetic and mostly because they lathers really fast and they are very soft. If you dont like it after trying some already I wouldnt push it just to "like" it because I think you would already see the potential. Rather than spending more on something you dont like or might like, I would save it and invest in a type you do like. IMHO

Last edited:
I've been a daily safety razor shaver for 10 years now and ready to wave the white flag. I want to like the synthetic brush thing but maybe not for me? I used tuxedo, cashmere, and pils knots 22mm to 26mm and nope. They're either too floppy or too much backbone or backbone with difficultly of splaying. Am I missing some thing here? Suggestions anyone? Thought about trying one of the omega or simpson synthetics but part of me wonders if I would be just flushing my money down the toilet! Oh by the way, I exclusively face lather. Thanks for everyones help.

whats exactly the issue? Not good lather? Or different feel from backbone/splay?

I exclusively face lather also and ive been using the tuxedo (iirc, it’s razorock snowman) knot last couple days. I’ve used it many times over the last year and i swore i am natural knot lover) Once i get the knot with adequate soap/water mixture (before lather) it seems to splay just enough for me to work the lather well.

Are you mashing the knot really hard on your face? Maybe too much water too early? Or not enough water timely?

+1 on the Shavemac synthetic. It surpasses any 2 band and Manchurian badgers I've used in the past. Would also throw in the synthetic cashmere as being superior as well IMO.

They're either too floppy or too much backbone or backbone with difficultly of splaying.

I got out of the habit of splaying my natural hair brushes, so when I got my first synth, I wasn't going to start doing it with that brush. So, perhaps try a different method of lathering. You can do circular motions with the tips, or use Simpson's recommended method, paintbrush strokes.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu

I have the same problems. But I do like them for travel. Right now I'm leaning toward trying an Omega Evo.

Never an issue with the Muhle or Shavemac synthetics. The Simpson Trafalgar knots.
Nice thing about most synthetics...no shedding, quick drying.

Maybe give this thread a read. I was happy to see that it was still going strong after several years. The passaround is currently paused given the current situation but it's still a good read. For me the price wasn't a good indicator of how good the brush was so you can throw that out the window when it comes to synthetics. I preferred the Stirling Kong and The Crown King brushes over the more expensive offerings. There might be some newer offerings out there that are exceptional but this should give you a good starting point. Maybe sign up so that you can give it a go when it opens back up.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I'm one that tends to like some backbone. I found Muhle's STF too sparse. It would be better if denser and with a shorter loft. I would say Shavemac over that. The brush I have that I like better is a Plisson (yes, that brand, not the knots advertised as Plissoft, etc). It doesn't have as much back bone as I'd like, but it's more like a real natural fiber, rather like badger with light backbone, not floppy, but not firm. I tried a Trafalger, thought I'd really like it and found it was too stiff for me and hard to splay. I also have a brush with an ACE not that is a little firmer that I like as well or better if I want some scrub and it was cheaper than the Plisson.

In general though, synthetics are not where they need to be for me. I prefer ANY natural fiber brush to them. Maybe in time the right synth might come along, but I think we're generations of fiber advancements away from that for me. None of them hold water in the same way a natural fiber can. Yes they can retain water, but if you push too hard, all the water dumps out instantly like pouring from a cup. Perhaps the industry needs to explore something in the way of porous or hollow fibers to get that quality correct.

I would say don't feel you have to like a synthetic just because others are over the moon about them. We all have our likes and dislikes. No one's are more valid than another's. It's a subjective area.

Tried a couple synthetics gave them away. Saw a 21mm Muhle STF on BST decided to try since it's talked up quite a bit along with the EJ. Good brush. It's soft using a light touch, scrubby if you bear down on it a little. Splays reasonably well when it's FULL of soap to help it out. Thought I might like it better than a boar but the newness and surprise eventually wore off. Naw. Still a keeper though, kind of fun for a change.

IIRC these are hand tied. It shed a bit when it arrived, exactly 9 hairs.

Last edited:
I got out of the habit of splaying my natural hair brushes, so when I got my first synth, I wasn't going to start doing it with that brush. So, perhaps try a different method of lathering. You can do circular motions with the tips, or use Simpson's recommended method, paintbrush strokes.

your post just got me thinking about splay.i think i know what you mean, but when i paint brush, my knots "splay" also, just not "sunflower" radial. Are you talking about twisting or mashing the knot?

Top Bottom