What's new

I want to get balmed.

... What I have been doing lately is using a pea-sized dab of Nivea Sensitive then a couple sprinkles of an aftershave splash for scent. ...
That would have the advantage of thinning out the balm, for balms that would otherwise leave a gooey or greasy film.
I might just try that.

Give it a try and report back! :)
Uh ... Not gonna happen soon.
I piffed the few balms that I had because I don't much like them.
I like the slap of an AS splash.
proxy.php

I have tried a whole bunch of balms and have found Eufros balms to be the very best for me. Moisturizing without stickiness or greasiness.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

After reading a lot about balms, I decided to make my own.
Turned out so good that now I have to make extras for my friends.
How hard is it to just check the ingredients of most balm, research the benefits, and then combine them?
Easy peasy!

I have found Art of Shaving balms to be very good. I use both the unscented and the bourbon lines.

Others may have alluded to it, but a balm tends to hide the effects of an...overzealous...shave. One of those shaves where your razor becomes a helicopter gunship of the 101st Airborne Division doing search and destroy missions against stubble in the Central Highlands.

An aftershave or alum block will immediately tell you that you've made a dog's breakfast of the shave. But a balm? The balm always says, "Jolly good show!" You have achieved a smoothness akin to the surface of the Hubble telescope lense, and without any cost!

I do like my balm...

I invite all balm lovers to try Maol Grooming aftershave. Sure, its primary ingredient is alcohol, but Sean designed it as a "balmy aftershave." I used it again this morning and, 12 hours later, my face feels like I used several tablespoons of balm this morning. Amazing stuff--the benefits of alcohol, without the burn or drying.

I love the Proraso Single Blade Cypress & Vetiver. My favorite balm of all time. Distant second is Spieck. I’d like to try the other Single Blade scents but it’s difficult not to get the C&V.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Others may have alluded to it, but a balm tends to hide the effects of an...overzealous...shave. One of those shaves where your razor becomes a helicopter gunship of the 101st Airborne Division doing search and destroy missions against stubble in the Central Highlands.

An aftershave or alum block will immediately tell you that you've made a dog's breakfast of the shave. But a balm? The balm always says, "Jolly good show!" You have achieved a smoothness akin to the surface of the Hubble telescope lense, and without any cost!

I do like my balm...

Amen! Have to raise my hand on this post. Mr Hands likes to visit when I shave. However, when I started using a balm and hydrating my skin, my “sensitive condition” disappeared.
This is part of healthy self care now.
I married into a family of skin cancer patients. Skin care is now part of my thing.

After reading a lot about balms, I decided to make my own.
Turned out so good that now I have to make extras for my friends.
How hard is it to just check the ingredients of most balm, research the benefits, and then combine them?
Easy peasy!

Sir, would you be so kind as to share your recipe for this elixir with your B&B brothers?

I’m curious about Cade.
Can you tell me more?

There is a lot of different theories in what is good for your skin, but I think if you asked any dermatologist, there are 2 things they would agree on the basic level: Alcohol is bad and moisturizer is good. In that light I have also used other non-shave specific moisturizers after a shave that have been perfectly adequate.

L'Occitane Cade is a luxury brand product and has the price to prove it. It doesn't have an out of this world price but it is certainly 2 to 3 times as much as a good drug store moisturizer. Is it necessary, no - but I do still love it. The scent of Cade is remarkable to me and one of the best smelling scents that I have come across. That specific scent is only available in their shave products and the one in the soap is not as strong and I have found the soap to just be OK in terms of performance. The scent is stronger in the aftershave balm and admittedly that is why I first got hooked on it a long time ago. That being said, it is incredibly moisturizing, leaves a matte finish without that greasy oily look, and I also believe it reduces redness when I got ingrowns and over shaved. Although a lot of products claim to reduce redness this is actually one of the products that I have found to do so and I am not sure it even makes the claim to.

With the current crop of super duper shave soaps I am not entirely sure an expensive balm is necessary but as a luxury product it is a nice treat to have after a shave and I can't speak highly enough about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom