What's new

I want to buy me a straight razor...

Hello to all straight razor users of the community!
I am new here and need some help to make up my mind on which way to go for my first (and probably only for a long long time, as i am on a pretty tight budget) straight razor. I am a EU resident and can spent up to 125€ max for one. I'm torn between four and love the looks of one more than the rest. So if you allow me , here are the contenders:
1) Dovo Barbarossa Moustache (short round point 5/8")
2) Dovo Barbarossa olivewood handles (spanish point 5/8" and again short)
3) Dovo 25 5831 (full size square point 5/8")
4) Ralf Aust's cheaper 5/8" offering
I'm sure that everyone will tell me a different opinion on which one would be the better choice or suggest something else to consider, but i want to have as much info and experiences as possible on the Dovos mainly , because there's not much written around on these specific models.
Also, I'm a little concerned on the matter of whether i'll be able to shave with one straight out of the box.
I know that someone here owns a Barbarossa olivewood,so his opinion will be much appreciated, but i've never heard anything about the 255831 model.
I forgot to mention that my current shaving setup of choice is pretty minimal and dirt cheap too, as i'm using a 10 euro shavette, with either Perma Sharp or Rockwell blades and a 4.50 euro Omega 10018 boar brush.
Big thanks for the hospitality and happy shaves to all of you !!!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If the razors you list, I suspect you would be better served by the Aust. The lower price range Dovos can be pretty hit or miss on quality. The steel is good of course, but the quality control can be pretty bad and sometimes these razors end up with edges that are not parallel with the spine giving the blade a twist effect. Also, do not for a minute deceive yourself into thinking that a Dovo comes shave ready from the factory. It must be honed by someone who actually knows how to do it, not some knife sharpener guy who doesn't even shave with a straight razor. Word of advice: never let anyone who does not shave every day with a straight razor, hone your straight razor or one that you intend to buy. I think the Ralf Aust razors are honed by the maker, not sure. You will need to verify that. Most new razors do NOT come shave-ready from the factory.

If you want a Dovo, skip the 5/8 bottom shelf models and go for a Bismarck or another model using the same blade style. In this price tier, quality is considerably better and the design is excellent, and the razor is a pleasure to hold and to use. It will still need to be honed, though. And of course you will need a strop. Don't bother with any Chinese or Pakistani junk. You want a real strop, not a strop-shaped object. On the other hand, you don't want to make your beginner mistakes on a $200 strop, either. You will most likely cut up your first strop while learning to use it, so try to keep your first one under $50 or so, and maybe upgrade later.

Being in the EU makes buying from US vendors that I am familiar with, not very practical. But there are plenty of UK and EU members here who will have recommendations.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Besides an SR, you will need at least a leather strop and preferably three diamond pasted balsa strops if you never want to have to have your shave-ready SR rehoned again.

Don't write off all the Chinese leather strops as Mr McCoy does. These strops are economical and do a good job:

Last edited:
Reactions: Gts
Thank you all for your replies gentlemen, I was pretty sure that most recommendations would be about the Ralf Aust and I'll probably go down this road after all in the end.
Still the Dovo blades that i'm seeking info for, I can buy cheaper or about the same and all carry better scales (ebony or olive wood) than the plastic ones Ralf Aust's entry razor comes with and since it will be my only razor for a long long time i was wondering if i could find a happy medium at the price. If i could spent more i would, most likely, go Ralf Aust with ebony,micarta or horn scales and a 6/8" blade with a spanish point and be done.
So lets take Ralf Aust out of the equation for the time being and assume that the Dovos will have straight blades, even if not shave ready. If anyone has any experience with the Dovo 25 5831, square point , 5/8", ebony scales and gold trimming, please share.
In addition, I've read somewhere that the short blade Dovos that i have mentioned , carry the same blade as the Bismarck model, so any comments on that?

Last edited:
Firstly scales are only there to hold the razor whilst adding something for the eye if it’s wood or horn. The Dovo’s will not be shave ready but are good razors, good steel, good fit/finish, great value. Aust is shave ready, great steel, great fit/finish and great value.

I doubt Dovo would butcher Bismarck blanks for the shorter Barbarossa...
I owned a square point some time ago, good razor and nothing to complain about. You will have to tape the spine to protect the gold etch when honing, or modify your honing routine.
Based on pics the wood/horn scales from Aust are better made/profiled than the Dovo’s IMO.
If your intent is to only get a single razor, go with Aust.
If you plan to add more razors over time, get an Aust first and then try something different later on...
If you want a Dovo I can highly recommend a Bismarck, still needs honing though. Great, steel, great looks, great scales, great value, gold etch, thumb notch, shoulderless (no stabiliser) design and great shaver. I love mine and will likely never sell it, I say this because i’ve owned more than 150 straight’s, down to 30 currently. The Bismarck has so much to offer...
11D5CB4B-77A7-469C-AB13-44AF416AC3D0.jpeg

18643D73-7AA9-48D8-8471-D18676B78925.jpeg

Last edited:
Firstly scales are only there to hold the razor whilst adding something for the eye if it’s wood or horn. The Dovo’s will not be shave ready but are good razors, good steel, good fit/finish, great value. Aust is shave ready, great steel, great fit/finish and great value.

I doubt Dovo would butcher Bismarck blanks for the shorter Barbarossa...
I owned a square point some time ago, good razor and nothing to complain about. You will have to tape the spine to protect the gold etch when honing, or modify your honing routine.
Based on pics the wood/horn scales from Aust are better made/profiled than the Dovo’s IMO.
If your intent is to only get a single razor, go with Aust.
If you plan to add more razors over time, get an Aust first and then try something different later on...
If you want a Dovo I can highly recommend a Bismarck, still needs honing though. Great, steel, great looks, great scales, great value, gold etch, thumb notch, shoulderless (no stabiliser) design and great shaver. I love mine and will likely never sell it, I say this because i’ve owned more than 150 straight’s, down to 30 currently. The Bismarck has so much to offer...
View attachment 1185896

View attachment 1185894
Thank you sir, your reply covered me totally! Now i understand how to address my way of thinking much better.
Dovo Bismarck comes in three versions, one of them being one with oxidized blade and ebony scales, no gold etching model is 28630. Are you aware if that one is the same quality as the other two?

Thank you sir, your reply covered me totally! Now i understand how to address my way of thinking much better.
Dovo Bismarck comes in three versions, one of them being one with oxidized blade and ebony scales, no gold etching model is 28630. Are you aware if that one is the same quality as the other two?
Correction , the model number is 26830 duh...

Go easy on me[emoji3]
Decided get a straight for Christmas
Can you explain 5/8 versus 7/8 Ralf

And if I am brand new but been de shaving for years would 7/8 be ok for my first razor

Thx

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Go easy on me[emoji3]
Decided get a straight for Christmas
Can you explain 5/8 versus 7/8 Ralf

And if I am brand new but been de shaving for years would 7/8 be ok for my first razor

Thx
Good luck! I have a feeling that you will end up with one of each with this group!

They probably will agree on the Aust brand tho!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Honestly, since it is a matter of preference and you have not yet had a chance to decide what you prefer, I would go middle of the road. 6/8 for your first razor. Later, try a 5/8 vintage, and then if you feel like a 7/8 is where you are headed, get one of those. Nice 7/8 vintage razors are harder to find and more expensive by far than 5/8, so feel free to go big first, before going small, if you happen to run across a good deal.

No matter how your preferences develop, the 6/8 will probably still be satisfactory. If you go for a 7/8 or a 5/8 and find later that you like the opposite, maybe you might wish you had not paid the price for the brand new Aust.

There are plenty of user grade vintage 5/8 hollowgrounds out there for chimp change. We see fairly decent ones go for $20 or so, now and then, and very nice ones for around $50 or $60.

The bigger razors obviously have more weight and so more momentum in the stroke. Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes maybe not. The wider razor is more stable and easier to hold your shave angle consistently. The narrow razor is more nimble, agile, and more able to get into cramped places like under your nose, and it will usually cost a bit less. I think a 6/8 is a pretty good compromise. If I personally had to choose between 5/8 and 7/8, I would probably lean toward the 5/8. If I had to choose between the 5/8 and a 6/8 I would personally prefer the 6/8, all other things equal. Preference. There are other guys who prefer wider blades.

Hey Frank Shaves, I have the TI razor you mentioned and it is fantastic.

I picked it up off the Bay as a Father's Day present (how did the wife know I wanted that one I wonder??). It needed some restoration as the guy who owned it allowed it to rust, get water stains and go blunt. But I bought it for $70, delivery included!

It's not a full hollow and you can feel it, but I really like the difference.
TI_FathersdayPresi2020.jpg

Took me about an hour to get it back in shape, a truly criminal act on my behalf :)

Top Bottom