What's new

I want to buy a Wacker Razor

Hey fellas I am considering buying a Wacker Razor. Can I buy them directly from Wacker or do I have to go through a reseller? If someone could provide a link that would be great. Thank you.

I know Royal Shave doesn't hone their razors. If you buy from them you will have to have it honed some place else. Of course that's if you don't do it yourself.

You will love it.

I've got a 6/8 Inox with ebony scales I purchased direct in 2009, and while I don't use it often, it is a pleasure to hold. I might add, when it arrived, it probably had the finest honing job on it of any straight I've ever owned.

I am not trying to dissuade you as I am in the extreme minority on this, but I purchased one Wacker and was forced to sell it. It arrived with severely warped scales and I never was happy with the shave. I was not impressed. It was a nice tool, but the scales were defective and I was unable to get it replaced.

I've read mixed reviews as well.

Namely, Joel's reviews in the reviews section were very uncomplimentary, and he posted a similar review to a Boker that was actually made for them by Wacker.

I'm hoping that they have improved since that 2006 review... I just spent $330 on

$DSC04964.JPG

That's a beauty. I've read so many positive reviews on the Hart razors and after a fellow member mentioned the 7/8" square point, I just decided I would give them a try. So just 5 mins ago I ordered a 7/8" square point with polished finish and cocobolo scales. I truly hope the $300 USD investment is worth as much as people say it is!

I've read mixed reviews as well.

Namely, Joel's reviews in the reviews section were very uncomplimentary, and he posted a similar review to a Boker that was actually made for them by Wacker.

I'm hoping that they have improved since that 2006 review... I just spent $330 on

View attachment 202539

Last edited:
I am not trying to dissuade you as I am in the extreme minority on this, but I purchased one Wacker and was forced to sell it. It arrived with severely warped scales and I never was happy with the shave. I was not impressed. It was a nice tool, but the scales were defective and I was unable to get it replaced.

Just curious, but did you purchase it directly from him, or, did you get it through a reseller? If a reseller, it be nice to know who wouldn't accept/acknowledge a valid complaint like warped scales.

Mine arrived today.

It's a beast! I knew it would be big, being a 15/16, but it's also about 1/2" longer than my Dovo/Bokers, and I had to get out the Dremel and trim the scales Shane's acrylic stand to hold it :wink:
Very heavy... I'll find out how good a shaver it is tonight.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Nice! That extra heft might magnify any pressure you apply on your passes so be prepared with your best feather touch...

Just curious, but did you purchase it directly from him, or, did you get it through a reseller? If a reseller, it be nice to know who wouldn't accept/acknowledge a valid complaint like warped scales.

Joel's Wacker review is the same one that mentions the questionable reseller. I'll add that I dealt with that reseller and had a terrible experience with him when buying a Friodur. After an exchange and some months of dealing with the whole thing (we're in the same country, it shouldn't have taken months), I ended up deciding never to purchase from that dealer again, regardless of all the nice things he has for sale. If I were to buy a Wacker, I would rather buy directly from Germany.

Joel's Wacker review is the same one that mentions the questionable reseller. I'll add that I dealt with that reseller and had a terrible experience with him when buying a Friodur. After an exchange and some months of dealing with the whole thing (we're in the same country, it shouldn't have taken months), I ended up deciding never to purchase from that dealer again, regardless of all the nice things he has for sale. If I were to buy a Wacker, I would rather buy directly from Germany.

Thank you for the info my friend.

Wow.
Wow.
OMG.

That was a VERY nice shave!
I was worried about the Spanish point... nothing to be concerned about.
I was worried that it would not be shave-ready... nothing to be concerned about.
I was worried about the blade being even bigger than my 6/8 Bismarck... it handles and maneuvers easily.
2-pass BBS with no blood, no weepers, and less irritation than I would have gotten from a Fusion.

This was with a full 96 hour's growth (last shave was Tuesday evening).

I bought this razor with the intention of "checking it out" and then putting it into "collection" status.
I think it's going to be in the normal rotation.

Wow.
Wow.
OMG.

That was a VERY nice shave!
I was worried about the Spanish point... nothing to be concerned about.
I was worried that it would not be shave-ready... nothing to be concerned about.
I was worried about the blade being even bigger than my 6/8 Bismarck... it handles and maneuvers easily.
2-pass BBS with no blood, no weepers, and less irritation than I would have gotten from a Fusion.

This was with a full 96 hour's growth (last shave was Tuesday evening).

I bought this razor with the intention of "checking it out" and then putting it into "collection" status.
I think it's going to be in the normal rotation.

Thanks for the update. It seems that the quality of Wacker razors is hit and miss. Some people love their Wacker and some find the quality sub-par. If I'm going to buy a new razor I want to be certain that at least 80% feedback is positive for any razor. It seems that with Wacker it's a 50/50 split. Am I wrong here in my observations?

I don't think it is as high as 50/50. A look around here and else where most folks really like their Wacker razors. I've only seen a few bad reports and they seem to have been a while back.

Ditto.

I bought mine from the "reseller mentioned above"
John was on top of things the whole time... sent me an email when he shipped, I let him know it arrived and within 1/2 hour I had a "thanks for letting me know"
I did not request honing... it is now apparently included with all of his blades. Even with the holiday, total time from order to receipt was only a week.

All of the negatives I've seen date back to 2006 when Joel posted his reviews... and if you look at the review thread, even there it looks like Joel was the only one to receive a "dud"... and then John posted one of Joel's emails (which started an email-posting battle) that seemed to be 100% opposite of Joel's feelings in the review.
Granted, pictures don't lie, there is no doubt that Joel's razor had issues... but a lot of his comments didn't really mesh with his statements to John.

In looking at other reviews that Joel has done, he seems like Mikey. He's not going to paint anything with a rosy brush. If he likes something, seems his review is "meh". If it's "meh"... his review is bad.

Top Bottom