What's new

I Want This...

proxy.php

I'll use it, but I already have a Zenith, an Omega, and a VDH boar. Is it a quality boar, or do I just do the right thing and not purchase another brush?

I am currently on shave number 15 with this very brush.

Some notes...

I ordered one that was a factory seconds because it had some stenciling issues and so I think it was just $8. So, from a price point I would say get it .

The handle on here is larger than it appears in photos. It's a standard height but really quite girthy and even my big hands don't have a problem.

Compared to most of the Semogues, zenith that I have, and even my SOC, it is very dense and the bristles have a lot of backbone.

With this one, and the six other boar brushes that I am raising up together, I am soaking it between one and three hours prior to each Shave. Even with this type of mild break-in, it is showing high resistance to the tips splitting and the relaxing of the backbone. However, 15 uses is quite young , so there is lots of time ahead to watch it change. In the light of this, I think there's potential for this to be a tremendous brush when the tips get really soft and have all split.

If you like scrubby boar brushes then I would highly recommend this one.

At 15 uses, it does well and is comfortable enough to not bother me during a shave… However, it is scrubby enough to make me not want to use it if I was trying a new razor that was very aggressive and might leave my skin a little tender. I believe this brush could give me some brush burn in that case.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

@sugardaddy
Thanks. I've been keeping up with your videos the best I can. Scrubby doesn't bother me, but how does it do making lather in a bowl?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
FWIW, I bought the Stirling boar in the OP, along with a Stirling synthetic about 6 mos ago. The synthetic has been great but the boar shed like crazy and eventually the bristles pretty much all but disintegrated, in very short order. Love their synth, but their boar was a bust in my experience.

I got one used and it's one of my favorite boar brushes. The handle is great and has a good heft to it. The boar knot has a good loft/knot size that I enjoy. It does shed a bit for me but nothing crazy. There is a good amount of scrub but nothing scratchy. Lathers up well and does its job pretty well.

I face lather so I don't know how well it does for bowl lathering. But it gives me enough lather for 3+ passes so that's that.

I think this brush is a no brainer for the price. I actually want to get another one just because I like the first one so much. That said, YMMV but I really like the Stirling boar.

I got one used and it's one of my favorite boar brushes. The handle is great and has a good heft to it. The boar knot has a good loft/knot size that I enjoy. It does shed a bit for me but nothing crazy. There is a good amount of scrub but nothing scratchy. Lathers up well and does its job pretty well.

I face lather so I don't know how well it does for bowl lathering. But it gives me enough lather for 3+ passes so that's that.

I think this brush is a no brainer for the price. I actually want to get another one just because I like the first one so much. That said, YMMV but I really like the Stirling boar.

$10 for a resin handle and good boar hairs... No brainer indeed!

@BigJ
Yes, sir. I always enjoy these kinds of things. I have yet to come across one legit product I haven't liked. 99% of everything in this task/hobby is affordable and gives a thousand times more value than what you purchase it for as far as personal use and enjoyment.

Top Bottom