What's new

I want a new gin...

...One that won't make me sick
One that won't make me crash my car
Or make me feel three feet thick

Sorry, couldn't resist a Huey Lewis reference :lol:

Anyways, I'm not a connoisseur by most accounts, but I'd like to know your thoughts on Gin. I started out drinking tanqueray, and that's been my standby for a while. I love a good Gin and Tonic, and especially now that's summer's coming around I'm curious what gin all of you would recommend.

I've also been trying to get into martinis, and although I've had a couple so-so ones at bars I haven't had anything that's knocked my socks off. The issue I think is the olive, but once you take the olive out, aren't you losing a third of your martini? What's a different recipe that I can try out (perhaps with the above noted new gin?)

thanks in advance!

Since you aren't an olive fan. I know Hendricks is very popular with a distinct cucumber note. Could make a martini and toss in a cucumber slice instead of the olive. I have yet to try it though.

I like my gin with heavy botanicals so I usually reach for the Beefeater. Since it is high in juniper. I also really like Bombay Sapphire, not as Junipery but smoother.

I am sure other gin drinkers will add their own favorites soon.

A few gins I enjoy:

Beefeater
Plymouth
Citadelle

All three make a great G&T as well as a great martini. Beefeater is your classic London Dry Gin.

My guess is the martinis you've had in the bars are made with very little, or without any dry vermouth. This is a very important ingredient. Try this recipe for a great martini:

2oz gin
1/2-3/4oz dry vermouth
dash of orange bitters

Stir (yes, you must stir!) with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.

A fabulous drink that really turned me on to the martini. I had never really enjoyed martinis before, and the first sip I had of this recipe, I was hooked!

Hi

Bombay sapphire is my personal go to gin. Find it great in a Martini and also works well with twist of Lime or with tonic. If
I recall its 100 proof , so drink slowly ..........

Hi

Bombay sapphire is my personal go to gin. Find it great in a Martini and also works well with twist of Lime or with tonic. If

+1 it is the only gin that doesn't make me imitate that Huey Lewis reference from the OP.

Cheap gins make me bloated and feel sick, Bombay however goes fairly smooth. If you touch a bottle of Houndstooth, you deserve the evil results.

As a cheap gin, Traders wasn't TOO bad, still some stomach side effects though.

Martinis may just not be your thing. The obsession for a long time has been for extremely dry martinis, so much so that most bartenders don't put any vermouth at all into a martini. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with a sweeter martini made with a 3:1 or even 2:1 ratio of gin to vermouth. And you can also mix your martini with equal parts dry and sweet vermouth for a "perfect" martini. And while olives are the "classic" garnish there is absolutely nothing improper about garnishing with a lemon twist or even a cocktail onion. And garnishing with a cucumber can be a nice change of pace, particularly with hendricks brand gin. So try some variations on the martini before you write it off entirely.

But if you don't like martinis fortunately there are plenty of other great cocktails that feature gin front and center. The Tom Collins, when properly made, is incredibly refreshing and delicious. A bit more work to make than the G&T but every bit as good. The Gimlet also brings a nice balance of citrus, sweet, and the distinctive flavor of gin botanicals. If a gimlet is a bit too strong a gin rickey is basically the same thing but without the sugar and with club soda. And if you aren't as interested in the citrus pairing the Singapore Sling is a great summer beach drink.

New Amsterdam. You owe it to yourself to try it. I easily enjoy the $20, 1.5 L, New Amsterdam every bit as much as the $35, .75L Hendrick's I have in the cabinet.

Broker's or Boodles, preferably in non-fizzy cocktails FMM. If it's fizzy, I don't mind using bottom-shelf (usually Gordon's).

I'm intrigued by Hendrick's (because it seems like it would be a pretty darn different gin, and I'm always up for something different). Boodles has also popped up a couple times, and I'm curious what makes it so good. How does does it differ from tanqueray or some of the other more popular (for lack of a better word) gins? Is it expensive?

Hi

A great gin - but it's 94 proof.

If you mix it with tonic I see no need to buy an expensive gin. But in a martini - that's a different matter.

i hate olives. olives and cucumbers are just the most vile things to put in your mouth...

so for a martini, i like a twist of lemon! for the martini, its bombay sapphire or tanqueray. for the G&T I loves gordon's.

Gin may not be for you. I prefer a martini with vodka and vermouth... not that the gin martini is bad, i just prefer the vodka ones.

Gin may not be for you. I prefer a martini with vodka and vermouth... not that the gin martini is bad, i just prefer the vodka ones.

Well, it is possible I'm not a martini guy, although I will try out using one of the recipes further up the thread before I give up on it. Thinking I might track down some boodles, just for a change of pace. Thanks everyone!

Bombay Sapphire is my choice for almost anything that uses gin. Is it new and flashy? Nope - but it sure is good.

Hi

Learned that the hardway memorial day weekend, drank 3/4 of a 750ml bottle myself :cursing:

Top Bottom