What's new

I used to love Proraso Red

For Prorasso splash I've only got Prorasso green splash, and I say it is "OK." The menthol part could be stronger for me, but I dislike how sticky it leaves my skin. I keep 2 types of AS; scent fades quick and scent fades slower. For me on the fades quick side, Speick beats Prorasso handily. As do most Stirling glacial offerings which I love in the summer. I wish the Prorasso green splash was more attached at the hip to the Prorasso green soap but for me they are kinda disjointed.

The green lotion is a great performer for me. The ingredients help deal with any irritation very well. I found it sticky too but I started applying with more of a damp to light wet face and it feels much better. As for the balms they just don't seem to calm any irritation. I am yet to try the blue Proraso balm so it might be 4th time lucky.

Really good stuff, BUT it will leave your head/face stickier than Proraso
Not my experience, at all. Quite the contrary, the skin feel aftewards is superb.
I don't get any residual tackiness from Speick either.
For me, drydown is smooth but dry to touch (powdery feel?).
I use a Nivea balm because I wish the Speick Balm was Lavender to match the splash.

I live coastal, but in dry/arid SoCal FWIW

If you like it as much as I do, I'd order a new one from Amazon since it's relatively cheap ($14).

LRod
It comes in a 400ml sizing as well for roughly $35

Last edited:
What are yall's experiences with the balm vs splash? Does one have longer lasting scent than the other?
I've used the red splash quite a bit. Bought some green for summer, and accidentally got the balm. Just curious if one style has more scent/cooling (for the green) than the other.

I use a "small" amount of Nivia Ultra calming cbd oil balm if I've got a bit too close.
But If i havent, I choose a favourite eau de toilet (has less glycerine than AS) mixed 50/50 with Distilled Witch Hazel, great in the warm weather.
As the witch hazel has a good astringent drying effect you can splash that on on it's own several times a day.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
The first thing that hits my face after a shave (after rinsing/drying) is a good splash of witch hazel. After that I’ll pick out another scented AS. When I’m using something like Speick I let the witch hazel dry completely before applying. With proraso red I apply when my face is still slightly wet from the WH. This solved the sticky face feel for me.

I use Proraso Red everyday and I live in Florida! Super hot & humid now and I don't get any sticky leftover feel and no greasiness at all. It dries fast and feels like it's dissipated (what I like!).
I'm not inclined to believe that the ingredients are causing this!
Could it be that something happened to it while sitting? i.e., temperature change, left by a window where the sun comes in strong, contamination, etc..
I've had that happen to fragrances that have completely changed for no apparent reason after sitting for a while.
If you like it as much as I do, I'd order a new one from Amazon since it's relatively cheap ($14).
And if it doesn't work, you return it for a refund. Nothing to lose!
LRod

Thanks, but it is fresh. Six months old, tightly capped, and stored on a shelf in a dark bathroom with no window.

I think it's just that I used it in the heat and humidity of summer. I'm going to wait till fall and go again, and see if it feels different to me.

It may also be that my taste has evolved, along with my technique. For example when I first started I had a lot of redness and irritation and used Nivea after every shave. As my technique improved, I used it less and less and I never use it any more.

If you are getting a sticky feeling from Proraso Green, you can try applying it to a damp face and use less than you usually do. You really only need a very small amount. Rub it in to the skin for half a minute or so.

I use the Red during Fall & Winter.

Top Bottom