What's new

I used to love Proraso Red

Today I did a head and face shave with Proraso (tub) and finished with the AS. It's been months since I used the AS, and I was really looking forward to an all-Red shave, but I discovered today that even though I love the scent, I don't like the dry-down, which left my skin sticky.

Not sure what is in it (I don't read labels), but I much prefer a smooth, dry face without a trace of sticky, which is what I get from all of my other favorites: Old Spice, Pinaud, Avon.

I'm kind of disappointed, and not sure I will continue to use it.

Last edited:
Today I did a head and face shave with Proraso (tub) and finished with the AS. It's been months since I used the AS, and I was really looking forward to an all-Red shave, but I discovered today that even though I love the scent, I don't like the dry-down, which left my skin sticky.

Not sure what is in it (I don't read labels), but I much prefer a smooth, dry face without a trace of sticky, which is what I get from all of my other favorites: Old Spice, Pinaud, Avon.

Glycerine? It might only be a summer issue that goes away with drier skin in winter. I go for the green mentholated one in summer and keep the red for fall and winter.

Glycerine? It might only be a summer issue that goes away with drier skin in winter. I go for the green mentholated one in summer and keep the red for fall and winter.
Probably glycerin...and you are 100% correct: I haven't used it since the weather has warmed up, so I'll give it another go this fall. Though it is pretty dry in the house, 76°F and 51% humidity.

Probably glycerin...and you are 100% correct: I haven't used it since the weather has warmed up, so I'll give it another go this fall. Though it is pretty dry in the house, 76°F and 51% humidity.
Glycerin, sandalwood oil and shea butter - no wonder…

Alcohol Denat., Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Betaine, Parfum, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Butyrospermum, Parkii (Shea Butter) Oil, Sodium Benzotriazolyl Butylphenol Sulfonate, Tris (Tetramethylhydroxypiperidinol) Citrate, Buteth-3, Tributyl Citrate, Disodium EDTA, Citronellol, Geraniol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Linalool, Coumarin, CI 19140 (FD&C Yellow No. 5), CI 16035 (Red 40).

Glycerin, sandalwood oil and shea butter - no wonder…

Alcohol Denat., Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Betaine, Parfum, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Butyrospermum, Parkii (Shea Butter) Oil, Sodium Benzotriazolyl Butylphenol Sulfonate, Tris (Tetramethylhydroxypiperidinol) Citrate, Buteth-3, Tributyl Citrate, Disodium EDTA, Citronellol, Geraniol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Linalool, Coumarin, CI 19140 (FD&C Yellow No. 5), CI 16035 (Red 40).
That's it.

I've become accustomed to a really smooth face after using many of my other AS, so I'm not fond of the sticky.

That's it.

I've become accustomed to a really smooth face after using many of my other AS, so I'm not fond of the sticky.
Ohh well, try some Turkish Limon Kolonya for summer. 80% alcohol, water & perfume - nothing else.

82B1789F-DD06-4145-817D-734B2F3E4793.jpeg

I need to try some other, lighter scents, with higher alcohol content. I really like the dryer face feel of Pinaud, and use Lime Sec often in the summer.

I don't care for cologne scents, unless it is a well known cologne that I happen to like.

Any suggestions for non-sticky citrus scents for summer that I can switch up with my Lime Sec?

The red Proraso is for the cold weather, that is why it is slightly greasy. The green Proraso is the one for the summer, no greasiness. I use them both during different seasons.

+1 one on that Speick. Simply wonderful.
I'm not a fan of menthol. Does the menthol linger, or dissipate quickly?...and if it does dissipate, what's left?

The green Proraso is not a very long lasting scent. The menthol feeling will increase slightly in 10-15 minutes. But 30-40 minutes after the shave it disappears completely. As I mentioned it is not a greasy lotion like the red one.
Thousands of lotions to choose from. And most of them are not mentholated.

I like Speick very much, however for me I wish the lavender would linger longer.
I also find the need to use a balm afterwards for a moisturized feel.

My favorite splash:
proxy.php

For Prorasso splash I've only got Prorasso green splash, and I say it is "OK." The menthol part could be stronger for me, but I dislike how sticky it leaves my skin. I keep 2 types of AS; scent fades quick and scent fades slower. For me on the fades quick side, Speick beats Prorasso handily. As do most Stirling glacial offerings which I love in the summer. I wish the Prorasso green splash was more attached at the hip to the Prorasso green soap but for me they are kinda disjointed.

I use Proraso Red everyday and I live in Florida! Super hot & humid now and I don't get any sticky leftover feel and no greasiness at all. It dries fast and feels like it's dissipated (what I like!).
I'm not inclined to believe that the ingredients are causing this!
Could it be that something happened to it while sitting? i.e., temperature change, left by a window where the sun comes in strong, contamination, etc..
I've had that happen to fragrances that have completely changed for no apparent reason after sitting for a while.
If you like it as much as I do, I'd order a new one from Amazon since it's relatively cheap ($14).
And if it doesn't work, you return it for a refund. Nothing to lose!
LRod

Top Bottom