What's new

I used to be happy.

with my wet shaving set-up. And then, I sauntered casually into the B&B and all that has changed.

It started innocently enough. Read a few reviews and realized that the Wilkinson Sword blades I'd been using for years are not up to par. Seems my trusty Williams soap is at the bottom of the list. Always used a boar brush and now....?

Didn't want to miss out on things so why not order a sample pack of blades? While I'm at it, might as well try some highly reviewed soaps. Oh, and there are cremes too? Well, gotta try that as well.

I've received two blade sample packs and am working through them. So far, of the four I've used under exactly the same pre/post routine and razor (EJ DE87).......and all four (which I never knew existed) are giving me better shaves than the Wilkinsons (of which I have 80 in my closet!). Just to be sure, this morning I shaved with a Wilkinson and it was not close. It used to be, but not anymore.

Still haven't tried the new (to me) soaps or creme. I can see where this will end up already. I even have some different after shaves on order.

There should be a warning somewhere on the B&B registration page indicating the side effects that may occur......"Continued visits to this web site may result in rapid credit card drain, a feeling or strong desire to experience every brand of every product pictured, talked about or advertised. Also common is; An inordinate amount of time spent in front of a mirror staring at your face. Less common but possible side effects include: Difficulty in describing scent variations and using words or phrases you've never uttered in public like "citus note", "lingering clove accent", "sandalwood vs. bay rum." Should you experience any of these symptoms consider yourself warned."

It started innocently enough.

It usually does...

Just remember that there are those who are deeper into it than you presently. Matter of fact you might need some pictures to encourage you and convince SWMBO that you are normal compared to these other guys. The great thing about this site is that there are always a lot of enablers and fellow shavers ready to 'encourage' you!

Welcome on board; enjoy the ride!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes and it only gets worse. I enjoy reading the stories from members who hit all the retail box stores looking for special deals.

It usually does...

Just remember that there are those who are deeper into it than you presently. Matter of fact you might need some pictures to encourage you and convince SWMBO that you are normal compared to these other guys. The great thing about this site is that there are always a lot of enablers and fellow shavers ready to 'encourage' you!

Welcome on board; enjoy the ride!!

Man you have some $$$ on display there. Congratulations. "May be time for an Intervention" I'm envious of your spectacular brush collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel as though I'm better off after joining B&B, but my credit card hates it! 5 months in and I have a stockpile of over 15 razors, 15 blade types, 8 brushes, 10+ soaps 10+ creams, and I think you get the point... Do yourself a favor and joins the 2014 shave Purchase Sabbatical now before you get out of hand like I did.. Results may vary!

Do what feels right. If you're happy with your gear, press on with it. If think you need to add some variety then we will certainly help to justify your decision:)

Holy smoke Bosseb! How much time in the AM do you allow for picking out which razor & brush to use?

Lol "Started innocently enough..." indeed. Welcome to B&B and do enjoy the journey and remember to have fun with this hobby. Let us know if we can answer any questions;)

I have only been ws for 3 wks and can contend to your love for shaving and spending money on different shaving items, started with a EJ 89ldl and walmart shaving kit, now making my own shaving soaps and aftershave, bought my first straight razor, then had to have sharpening stones, lapping diamond stone, silver 1903 shaving cup, elk horn badger brush, ch ox, made a leather strop, and 15 or so straight razors from ebay, made some new scales and bought a 6 inch buffer to restore the straights, and my wife is ready to take my credit card away from me cause she thinks I am getting senile. But what the hell I am having a ball and can't wait to see what's around the corner waiting for me

with my wet shaving set-up. And then, I sauntered casually into the B&B and all that has changed.
Welcome, and sorry about your wallet. :wink2:

I have pretty much the same experience as you.
For well over a year I was wet shaving with 1 razor, 1 blade type, 1 brush, 1 soap...
$IMG_20140126_213755_2.jpg

Now I've been doing the hobby of wet shaving for about one month, I find myself the proud/ashamed (proudly ashamed?) owner of:
¤ 18 different types of blades
¤ 4 different soaps (2 croaps, to be fair)
¤ 1 box of shaving jelly
¤ 4 different creams + a sampler pack of yet another 8 ones
¤ 4 brushes (2 badgers, 1 boar, 1 synthetic)
¤ 1 pre-shave cream, plus mixing my own oil
¤ 6 razors (three-piece, four-piece in travel bag, TTO, adjustable, vintage)
...and a little more on its way from the bay.

Damn you all! :001_tongu

Top Bottom