What's new

I used shaving soap and a brush for the first time today, results were not as expected! What happened?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Wow that was a cell phone autocorrect mess. Too late to be able to edit:
face lathering not gave lathering!
I didn't not si didn't!
if I ever not is I ever!
Lol!!

Have you ever, lathered up someone you love? Have you ever, made a mistake you wish you could take back? Have you ever wished you hadn't seen that? Have you ever wished you could take it all back, and not do that?

"Hey, Doc Brown, do you still have that Dalorian?" "Yeah why?" "Hmm, I need to go back in time and tell my past self not to, well, it doesn't matter, I need the car." "OK Rod, just make sure you bring her back full of gas, and don't clip the fuel line like you did the last time, I had to replace the entire line after the last time." "Ohhhhh and Rod, don't kiss your mother this time either." "I won't Doc I promise." 😝

back to the future car GIF by Turner Classic Movies

Have you ever, lathered up someone you love? Have you ever, made a mistake you wish you could take back? Have you ever wished you hadn't seen that? Have you ever wished you could take it all back, and not do that?

"Hey, Doc Brown, do you still have that Dalorian?" "Yeah why?" "Hmm, I need to go back in time and tell my past self not to, well, it doesn't matter, I need the car." "OK Rod, just make sure you bring her back full of gas, and don't clip the fuel line like you did the last time, I had to replace the entire line after the last time." "Ohhhhh and Rod, don't kiss your mother this time either." "I won't Doc I promise." 😝

back to the future car GIF by Turner Classic Movies
Very creative!
Yes to everything except lathering someone. I've only lathered my own face. I'm not a Barber, Lol!!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've been at this for a short time (about 4 months) but have already tried tons of razors, blades, brushes etc..
All my brushes have been synthetics due to the ethical (or lack of) aspect of badger & boar.
But if you want to try something different, new and ethical that's actually animal hair, try a horse hair shaving brush. Vie-long makes them (made in Spain). I bought my first one and it's great!
By the way, I really want to try one of the ESC Ultimate G4. They look fantastic!
Yeah... I fell in love with the handle... and watched the owner of Executive Shaving company use it in several videos, so I took a chance and bought one... I just love it....

Here is what I used:
The "Winning" razor with a Bic blade
Proraso Sandalwood red soap tub
Razorock "The Disruptor" synthetic brush
Imitation "Amazon special" Captain's Choice ceramic bowl

I left the brush in warm water while I took a shower, when ready I took it out and tapped it a bit to release some of the water, I wet the top of the soap a bit to activate it then drained the water, started loading up the brush by using a circular motion, then transferred to the bowl and continued the same procedure to build the lather. In the end I got "slight" lather and was enough to get a 2 pass shave but I never got the
puffy white lather that I see on videos. The shave was good but not 100%.

What could have gone wrong?
Not enough water on the brush, too much water on the brush, lack of pressure (or too much) while loading up in the circular motion?

I used one of Geofatboy's (credit given to him) you tube tutorials to learn. I watched it a few times beforehand and I watched it while doing my shave as well. I got nowhere near his results!
You weren't using ARKO.

Information comes from reading. Knowledge comes from doing.

Simply put; a person can't ride a bicycle until they can do it. Learning to shave is similar to riding a bicycle. Other people's words can get them close, but only practice will get them to do it successfully.
Agreed! With most things in life that applies. But I was just trying to figure out if I was specifically doing something wrong. Sometimes if you're doing something repeatedly wrong, it's difficult to make it right even with practice. That's what I was getting at!
Now in regards to your first post,
I'm still trying to figure out what using Arko has to do with any of this, LOL!!

Last edited:
Agreed! With most things in life that applies. But I was just trying to figure out if I was specifically doing something wrong. Sometimes if you're doing something repeatedly wrong, it's difficult to make it right even with practice. That's what I was getting at!
Now in regards to your first post,
I'm still trying to figure out what using Arko has to do with any of this, LOL!!
I always recommend ARKO for everything. It used to be Williams, but then they stopped making it.

I prefer face lathering. It's simple and it works. However, I can't describe how to do it with your gear. If I did, someone would have the opposite opinion.

Ok, I'll give you something that might help. Rate your shaves using 1 if the isn't even the tiniest bit of blood and 0 if there is. Forget about the quality. I have had one tiny speck of blood during the last 61 shaves.

Ok, two things. Use a light touch.

Oh, and seriously, buy some ARKO and a clothespin.

I soak all my brushes, including synthrtics. It hydrates natural bristles, and also rinses off any residual soap from the last use. I squeeze out the excess, then swirl the brush in the soap tub to load up the soap, transferring it to a bowl to finish. I've also found that most of my brushes retain more watery lather in the middle of the brush, even with swirling in the bowl, so I swirl to begin bulding the lather, then squeeze out the brush, then continue building lather. I repeat squeezing a time or 2, and the result is more even water distribution throughout the lather.

Here is what I used:
The "Winning" razor with a Bic blade
Proraso Sandalwood red soap tub
Razorock "The Disruptor" synthetic brush
Imitation "Amazon special" Captain's Choice ceramic bowl

I left the brush in warm water while I took a shower, when ready I took it out and tapped it a bit to release some of the water, I wet the top of the soap a bit to activate it then drained the water, started loading up the brush by using a circular motion, then transferred to the bowl and continued the same procedure to build the lather. In the end I got "slight" lather and was enough to get a 2 pass shave but I never got the
puffy white lather that I see on videos. The shave was good but not 100%.

What could have gone wrong?
Not enough water on the brush, too much water on the brush, lack of pressure (or too much) while loading up in the circular motion?

I used one of Geofatboy's (credit given to him) you tube tutorials to learn. I watched it a few times beforehand and I watched it while doing my shave as well. I got nowhere near his results!
I have been wet shaving for 3 months and have made a lot of mistakes along the way. I have in fact used Proraso Red and gave it away after 2 shaves. It irritated my skin. Get yourself a good lathering bowl (I use Supply Marble Lathering bowl), and a good synthetic brush. If I were you I would upgrade your soap. When I started wet shaving, I used 1/2 tsp of shaving soap. I am so good at lathering now. I have cut that down to 1/8 tsp. I use 1/2 tsp of Cremo as a pre-shave. There are so many good shave soaps around. There is a great review on "The Virtual Groomroom" where he rates soaps. "Ruds Shaves" is another YT channel that rates soap. In the description on his site, he has a link to a Shave Score spreadsheet. I was rubbish at making lather when I started. Three months later, I am an absolute pro and can squeeze potential out of any soap. Go easy on yourself. Be patient. I use an app called "Shaving Buddy" to track all my shaves so I can go back and figure out what works and what did not work. Best wishes.

I have been wet shaving for 3 months and have made a lot of mistakes along the way. I have in fact used Proraso Red and gave it away after 2 shaves. It irritated my skin. Get yourself a good lathering bowl (I use Supply Marble Lathering bowl), and a good synthetic brush. If I were you I would upgrade your soap. When I started wet shaving, I used 1/2 tsp of shaving soap. I am so good at lathering now. I have cut that down to 1/8 tsp. I use 1/2 tsp of Cremo as a pre-shave. There are so many good shave soaps around. There is a great review on "The Virtual Groomroom" where he rates soaps. "Ruds Shaves" is another YT channel that rates soap. In the description on his site, he has a link to a Shave Score spreadsheet. I was rubbish at making lather when I started. Three months later, I am an absolute pro and can squeeze potential out of any soap. Go easy on yourself. Be patient. I use an app called "Shaving Buddy" to track all my shaves so I can go back and figure out what works and what did not work. Best wishes.
Thanks for the advice. Luckily by now I've already resolved all the issues I had then.
LRod

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
If your brush is sitting in a lathering bowl filled with warm/hot water, when you get out of the shower, remove the brush and squeeze out the water. The bristles should be damp, but not sopping/soaked. If there's too much water, you'll end up with a soupy, thin lather at best. If you're bowl lathering, there should be a small amount of water in the bowl...not a lot at all, but maybe a tablespoon. Work the loaded brush until you start to see lather forming. Whip that until you see it building and most of the bubbles disappearing. It should start to look creamy. Then...add a dash more water and keep building and whipping the bubbles out. You might add a dash of water two or three times. when you're done, the lather should look 1) plentiful 2) creamy 3) mostly air bubble-free 4) glossy.

I started using a brush and soap / cream back around 1990, without the benefit of the internet.
I can't imagine how many shaves I survived with thin, sudsy "lather". The only saving grace was
that I used a Sensor, avoiding too much carnage.

Top Bottom