What's new

I used shaving soap and a brush for the first time today, results were not as expected! What happened?

Here is what I used:
The "Winning" razor with a Bic blade
Proraso Sandalwood red soap tub
Razorock "The Disruptor" synthetic brush
Imitation "Amazon special" Captain's Choice ceramic bowl

I left the brush in warm water while I took a shower, when ready I took it out and tapped it a bit to release some of the water, I wet the top of the soap a bit to activate it then drained the water, started loading up the brush by using a circular motion, then transferred to the bowl and continued the same procedure to build the lather. In the end I got "slight" lather and was enough to get a 2 pass shave but I never got the
puffy white lather that I see on videos. The shave was good but not 100%.

What could have gone wrong?
Not enough water on the brush, too much water on the brush, lack of pressure (or too much) while loading up in the circular motion?

I used one of Geofatboy's (credit given to him) you tube tutorials to learn. I watched it a few times beforehand and I watched it while doing my shave as well. I got nowhere near his results!

Last edited by a moderator:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
In my experience a synth brush needs very little water and not much soap compared with a natural brush. You don't need to soak a synth brush. For me, the creamy yogurt style lather you see in pictures belongs on a comedy ice cream cone as it is very poor to shave with; I much prefer a thinner, slicker lather. Just keep experimenting until you find what works for you is my advice 👍

Last edited:
Thank you for that link!
I'm gonna read through it all tomorrow. Just reading the OP's intro already showed me that I did it wrong.
That link should answer all my questions!

As much as I loathe you tubers, I am CDB does have a good tutorial, I think(maybe), if you need some visuals. Geo has so many videos, but you can't see what he is doing sometimes from the camera angle.

I would recommend the "Marco method" but perhaps skip the brush soaking step
since you have a synthetic. Proraso is a soft Italian soap so it should work well.
Don't be stingy with soap, especially something as inexpensive and easily obtainable
as Proraso. As YouTuber Anthony "The Stallion" Esposito says "load it like you hate it."

Last edited:
What could have gone wrong?
Not enough water on the brush, too much water on the brush, lack of pressure (or too much) while loading up in the circular motion?
If it was too much water the lather would be frothy and thin. I expect it was not enough soap loaded.
I usually squeeze the knot near the handle which makes it stiffer and picks up more soap that way; just work the tips into the soap. The new puck may be quite dry on top depending on how long it has been sitting on a shelf. Subsequent loads should be easier, you should see the loaded soap on the brush. Proraso is a soft soap so easy to load and it lathers easily too.

Judging by you “tapping a bit” to release the water, I’m gonna guess too much water.
Try again with much less water. And then keep trying and trying and trying. You’ll eventually get it how you like it. And then you’ll have to get like 4 other soaps to try out. Then you’ll have to see how your shaves go with a different razor or two. Perhaps you’ll need a different brush to try. 😏

I squeeze almost all the water out of the brush, load up and paint on so my face is covered in pasty lather. Then I slowly add water and splay, scrub, swirl and paint till I get what I like. You probably didn't have enough soap or had too much water (or both). It takes a minute to dial it in, don't worry. Just keep experimenting.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
As much as I loathe you tubers, I am CDB does have a good tutorial, I think(maybe), if you need some visuals. Geo has so many videos, but you can't see what he is doing sometimes from the camera angle.

It takes time to learn how to build a lather, practice practice practice. But I like that he was using a quality lather bowl, Captains Choice is my top recommendation for lather bowls. Additionally, I am a big fan of GeoFatBoy, I think he's the best shaving guy on Youtube. I never feel like I am getting BS from him, what I see is what I get, and he teaches a lot of people how to shave, so I recommend him.

Even still to this day, after I have already many DE shaves under my belt, I am still learning the lathering technique. What I mean by this, is the proper consistency of water vs soap. Its kind of like high school science lab isn't it? The proper amount of A, mixed with the proper amount of B, equals F for a mighty fine lather lol.

Its not a process learned overnight, takes lots of practice. When I did my first shave with the Proraso GREEN yesterday, I discovered I didn't have enough soap in my bowl, so I went back to the puck, gathered a little more, then added some soap water as well. And keep in mind guys, even if you had slightly too much water and the soap is sudsy, just keep working it, it will turn fluffy and beautiful.

To me, the best part of the shave, is in the lathering, this is something that Geo and I fully agree on, the zen moment of the shave. But its also fun watching as a DE razor so easily does, what a cartridge razor cannot. I swear the DE makes me feel younger after a solid shave with it.

There are a lot of ways to skin this cat, but this particular one puts you in control of what I think are the two biggest variables: how much water a particular brush will hold, and how much water a particular soap will take.

It's like mixing Sakrete. Start dry and creep up on it.

My experience with shave soap is limited, but I definitely understand that it takes some practice to get it right.

What has helped me is to use some pre-shave oil on my neck. I have not yet been successful in getting an irritation-free shave on my neck using shave soap without any pre-shave oil. Of course, it's probably due to the fact that my lathering is lacking (although it seems really nice and slick and not too runny), poor shaving technique (although I am getting better, I think), or some of both. I'll keep practicing...

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

My experience with shave soap is limited, but I definitely understand that it takes some practice to get it right.

What has helped me is to use some pre-shave oil on my neck. I have not yet been successful in getting an irritation-free shave on my neck using shave soap without any pre-shave oil. Of course, it's probably due to the fact that my lathering is lacking (although it seems really nice and slick and not too runny), poor shaving technique (although I am getting better, I think), or some of both. I'll keep practicing...

I used Proraso Pre-shave cream for the first time yesterday. I think it worked, I hope it worked. However, due to my lack of experience on pre-shaves, its hard for me to tell. I will say this, I got a truly excellent shave yesterday, so it probably helped indeed.

Great advice above!

Most likely, your soap to water ratio is off. It looks like you need a bit more soap and a bit less water.

Stick with this and you will get the results you want!!

Try and judge the lather by how the razor feels on the face. If it glides, then you're probably there. If it feels like you're plowing through chalk, it's likely a little too thick or too dry.

Like you, I spent a lot of time learning how to build a dense, yogurt-like lather only to find that it doesn't give me the best shaves. Several years later, I'm still tweaking my skills but this is part of the fun. Keep at it. You will know when you've cracked the code.

When I did my first shave with the Proraso GREEN yesterday, I discovered I didn't have enough soap in my bowl, so I went back to the puck, gathered a little more, then added some soap water as well.
I have always done the scoop and smoosh method with Proraso if I am using a bowl. It’s a good way to start at least, so you know you have enough soap. Then it’s all about water additions, a little at a time.

Try and judge the lather by how the razor feels on the face. If it glides, then you're probably there. If it feels like you're plowing through chalk, it's likely a little too thick or too dry.
This is good, but with a lather bowl you can actually feel this through the brush once you have enough water. Then add a little more. ;)

I know SWTC is waiting on his new brush, that will make this a lot easier.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I know SWTC is waiting on his new brush, that will make this a lot easier.

Ohhhh 100%! That completely splayed out with 0 backbone pure badger brush of mine, is doing me no favors at all. I have no doubt that my new brush will make a world of difference. And BTW, thats the main reason why I got the LARGE version of the Captains Choice lather bowl, cause I knew I would have to accommodate my big brush when it gets here. Plus, I just love having all that room to move around with the brush. ;)

Top Bottom