What's new

I Used a SE Safety Razor this morning - Suprising Results!

My Results:

- Very close to BBS but not as close as a DE Safety Razor, but very good job.
- Very forgiving, I did not have ANY redness, cuts, nicks, irritations
- I used the same techniques and products the only thing I replaced was the DE

So, I thought to myself while I was standing in the Walmart isle, 'Why won't these orange razors work? I have seen the women I have dated use these on their legs and they were smooth. What the hell, they're cheap and what have I got to lose?' I bought a 12 pack of Bic Sensitive Shavers and I used a razor this morning.

WOW! the results were fantastic, not as great as a DE but very close to it. I am thinking that I would recommend this razor to a newbie to get started with and then maybe a month later start transitioning to an actual DE. The Bic Sensitive Shaver is a very forgiving razor, but it doesn't seem that way to me because it really looks like half of a DE razor to me. Because of it's forgiveness I think that this would be an ideal razor to learn DE shaving techniques with?

Although I did not get as close of a shave with the BIC, it was damn near BBS, but the most surprising thing that I learned was that my less than perfect techniques I use on my neck were very forgiving today and my neck looks and feels great! So much so that the BIC has managed to beat out my old Mach 3 and all of my DE Safety Razors, hands down! I am really impressed this morning with the BIC, I plan on continuing to use the BIC to shave my neck and revert back to my DE for my face.

So, if you're not satisfied with your neck shaves or are a little frustrated with your techniques I would suggest using the BIC Sensitive Shaver for it's forgiveness and as a set of training wheels for DE Shaving. BTW, I J-hooked my entire neck after WTG & XTG techniques and I have ZERO irritation, redness, razor burn, bumps, etc.... but I do have an almost BBS neck. :thumbup1:

These razors after taxes cost me about 32 cents each, IMHO that is a very cheap neck shaver. :smile:

Anyway, I thought I would share my experience with y'all. Good luck in all of your shaving endeavors.

I started out using these things back in the 70's. It looks like they have not changed much. The only problem I had with them was that after a couple shaves, I was tossing them.

Might be good for travel, if you're going with just a carry-on. I really prefer to use a DE though, just to not throw away that much plastic.

Well I used the BIC for a total of three times on my neck and then I used my DE for my face and I must say that I am still convinced that the BIC is it for my neck.

Also, I reported that the BIC's cost me about 32 cents each, I must update that because I had my price wrong. The actual cost is 19 cents a piece, and at that price I will be changing the BIC's out every time I change my DE blade, about every four days. So the total cost for shaving every four days is .16 + .19 = .35, at thirty five cents, and a wonderful looking and great feeling neck I would say this setup is a definite keeper.

I am also convinced that this is a great way for a newbie to learn the basic techniques of DE shaving or maybe a great way to revisit your techniques.

This morning, I tried really hard and was obsessive about getting every hair I could feel on my neck to obtain a BBS neck. I even used pressure with the BIC, I was using this BIC in ways that I definitely wouldn't use a DE. The result? A little bit of redness on my neck, no irritation or razor burn. After an hour the redness was gone.

I've used them for many years which may explain my easy transition to DE.My major complaint with them and why I sought out alternatives is poor quality control.When you get a good one you're set for 4 or 5 days the next may rip the hair out,the next somewhere in between.I was also having problems with ingrown hairs on my throat that I attributed to the hit or miss quality and the bumps completely disappeared after switching to DE.

That being said, they do work and in a pinch I would prefer them to the multi blade horrors.

If they help you achieve good results then why not. Maybe by using them you could develop your DE shave technique? Seems like the neck area is the most sensitive and therefore the most likely to show poor technique.

If they help you achieve good results then why not. Maybe by using them you could develop your DE shave technique? Seems like the neck area is the most sensitive and therefore the most likely to show poor technique.

Right on brother!

My neck has contours in it because I ain't FAT. Those guys with the turkey necks and no necks have it made when shaving their necks. It is very hard for me to manipulate my neck or the DE razor to get a really good shave on my neck. The BIC is more forgiving and I can get better results while using DE techniques.

Top Bottom