What's new

I use a fresh blade every time I shave

The great thing about DE shaving is that one can do what one wants with minimal cost. But it helps to learn about blades you like by using them for a few shaves. My usual rule of thumb for most blades is three shaves but I now know that my favorite blades easily get more than that so I adjust accordingly.

I generally hold a blade for 3 or 4 shaves. I very seldom really like the first shave as much as the next two. I feel I get the best shave on day number two. To each his own.

I am soon going to be 66 years old. I sometimes wonder if there is such a thing as "mature skin" that allows me to get away with techniques that are not conventionally recommended.

For the first time in something like 120 shaves I treated myself to a new Astra SP blade tonight. I had to be very careful not to add pressure,
It was quite enjoyable, and part of it might have been due to "corking" the new blade with a piece of styrofoam before using it. It's the first time I've tried that.

Exactly so.
It might work for you, it might not.

I used to think the same thing, but I think we have something in common (besides our age). From your previous posts, I think you have experience living in extreme cold. Blasting along on a sled at 60+km/hr when its -40C comes to mind. I've been a downhill skier in extreme cold for 60 years. We can go outside in weather that warns "exposed skin will freeze in minutes" with no ill effects other than a very ruddy complexion as blood is rushed to the skin to keep it from freezing solid. The skin that is exposed to the elements; cheeks, chin, and continuing over the jawline; feels thicker and tougher than the skin on my lower neck (and the rest of my body). I can apply pressure, buff, do multiple passes, etc, with little irritation and never any blood. I can't say the same for my lower neck that was generally protected from the elements.

Is it wrong? Am I wrong?

Not at all. My 2 favorite blades are two uses and out. If I get a rough shave or weeper on the first, it's gone in one. What is there to gain extending a $.10 blade? Whether you use it for one shave or 365, it won't make a difference.

Last edited:
I'm another one and done. I shave my head and face once a week, for the most part, and I have a ton to mow through. I've tried using a few blades more than once and could never feel an improvement over time. I can feel differences between blades brands, so I focus on first shave performance of five or six varieties and gave up trying to reuse blades.

I bought a pack of 100 GSB blades. If I leave a blade in for 3 months at a time, this pack will last me 25 years! I only shave once a week on Sunday, so 3 months equals about 13 shaves per blade. I'm 43 years old, so I'll probably die soon after my blades run out. :(

The longevity of blades also depends on ones beard as some shavers have softer and less coarse beards than others. Personally, I lean towards the toss sooner than later philosophy. I am not interested in pushing a blade past its peak performance. I am interested in achieving excellent shaves, so I would rather toss a blade sooner than later.

I never seem to get good shaves trying to use a blade more than once. It seems like a fantasy to me getting 30+ shaves on blades like some of you guys do. One and done every time (and when I don't, I regret it). I can feel the bluntness after one shave, and I don't feel it's worth the hassle of trying to dry my razor blade (that second shave is probably going to suck regardless).

I'm a 3 and done guy. I'd do one and done, but my thinking is that most blades excel and do their best on rounds 2 and 3, so it's worth holding on for 3 shaves. At the cost of $0.10 - $0.20 per blade, I see no reason to push it past three.

Is it wrong? Am I wrong?
It's your shave and your money. IMO, only you should decide what is right for you.

I've only been DE shaving since September 2017, so I'm relatively new to this activity. When I first started, I followed the advice of others and tossed blades after 3 or 4 uses. And then I got tired of keeping count and decided to just grab a new blade every Sunday. One day I decided to see if I could use the same blade for an entire month. The blade passed the test even though the last week was a little uncomfortable. So much for following the advice of others.

I've subjected all of the blades in my current rotation to a two-week test and they've all passed with ease. I now install a new blade on the 1st and 16th of the month because it's easy to remember and I don't need to keep track of the number of uses. And at only about 10 cents each, i see no reason to take a blade to failure.

I admit to being a "one and done" guy too.

And why not? This is America. I scoff at multiple uses of one blade in the same manner I scoff at the concept of "locally grown produce". If the saurkraut on my rueben comes from cabbage that was delivered to Ohio FROM California using diesel locomotives, I say "Hurrah!".

Top Bottom