What's new

I use a fresh blade every time I shave

feather blades are extremely sharp out of the package, but a lot of people find them to be rather harsh on the first shave. They are a little smoother on the second shave, not quite as sharp, but still very sharp. After that, depending upon the coarseness of your beard, they start to deteriorate. I have a tough beard and and get three shave from them before they become uncomfortable. I won't use Feather blades in a very aggressive razor such as the Muhle R41 because they are too harsh on my skin during the first shave.

If you are looking for very smooth blades, then your one shave per blade is perfect as long as you avoid Feather blades. If you are looking for an extremely sharp blade and are less concerned about smoothness, then using Feather blades for one shave might work for you. However, most folks want a suitable balance of sharp and smooth.

If you have never tried your customary blades for more than one shave, I would suggest you do so. Keep using them until they start to feel harsh or start to tug. You might find that they perform better on the second shave than on the first. You might even be able to use them for a week or more. It all depends on your beard type and your skin sensitivity. It does not matter others do; it only matters what works for you. If you try multiple shaves on the same blade and find that the quality of your shaves deteriorates, then go back to one shave per blade. Each person is different.

If you have more than one razor, you also might find that different blades work better in each razors. I use very sharp blades in mild razors and medium sharp blades in more aggressive razors. Try different things until you figure out what works best for you.
I dunno, I just used a brand new feather in my brand new timeless open comb with a .95 blade gap, and my face hasn't been this smooth in 46.5 years

Is it wrong? Am I wrong?

I am a noob with maybe 10 shaves so far.

But what I noticed using Astra SP, is that it seems to provide the best shave on 2nd and 3rd day, and gets a little duller - but still fully useful - on 4th.

So I will toss them after 3-4 shaves. Tossing after 1st would rob me of the best performing days.

It may be different with other blades.

This is totally subjective! I am doing the one and done in order to evaluate the stack of blades I am using to determine the Golden Blade. I have identified a handful of great blades and want to keep the playing field as even as possible. Coated blades typically improve with usage but for the sake of expediency one and done is going to be the most efficient means to evaluate a number of blades in the least amount of time.

It is your shave, do what you want. Many folk here are one and out. I generally go 4 shaves on a blade, while some members claim over 100 per blade.
Yup. I've taken an Astra SP, a GSB, and a Personna Lab Blue to 100. The Personna might've been able to go another 100, but I got bored with it. On the other hand, the Personna took more than 10 shaves to "break in", while the Astra SP and GSB were good starting with 4-5 shaves.
In the future I'll probably toss them between 60-75 shaves.

Even with advertising hype, I suspect Gillette was not totally out of line claiming "Each Blade giving from 20 to 40 Smooth and Delightful Shaves".
proxy.php

I dunno, I just used a brand new feather in my brand new timeless open comb with a .95 blade gap, and my face hasn't been this smooth in 46.5 years

If your face is tough enough to withstand Feather blades in a fairly aggressive razor, then by all means you should be using them. Other blades I suggest you try are BIC Chrome Platinum and Nacets. They are also quite sharp. My skin is too tender to use these blades in a Muhle R41, but I love them in other razors.

I

But what I noticed using Astra SP, is that it seems to provide the best shave on 2nd and 3rd day, and gets a little duller - but still fully useful - on 4th.

What you have noted is quite typical of many blades. The coating starts to wear off on the first shave making the blades sharper on the 2-3 shaves. Whether you can go beyond that depends upon the coarseness of your beard. Those with tough beards might have to quit on shaves 3-4, as I do. Those with beard that are less tough might be able to go a lot longer.

I have the same issue with straight razors. Some folks can go for months before refreshing an edge. They use strops to maintain the edge. I have to go back to my finishing stone every 5-6 shaves to keep the edge sharp enough for my beard and smooth enough for my face. Everyone is different.

Yup. I've taken an Astra SP, a GSB, and a Personna Lab Blue to 100. The Personna might've been able to go another 100, but I got bored with it. On the other hand, the Personna took more than 10 shaves to "break in", while the Astra SP and GSB were good starting with 4-5 shaves.
In the future I'll probably toss them between 60-75 shaves.

Even with advertising hype, I suspect Gillette was not totally out of line claiming "Each Blade giving from 20 to 40 Smooth and Delightful Shaves".
proxy.php
Hello John, that’s a lot of shaves you get from your blades! Do you strop them and or flip them between shaves? I’m totally curious to say the least!

Don't get into a mindset that you have to shave a certain way. There seems to be a consensus about what works for most people, but the bottom line is ' "Your Mileage May Vary"; in other words, do what works for you!

That said, I have found that some blades provide good results long-term. Two in that category that come to mind are Pol-Silver and Kai blades. For the others in my stable, I was changing them out after 3 shaves, but now have increased that standard to 5 - 6 shaves. I think as my technique has improved, particularly on my ATG pass, that the pulling and tugging I experienced was probably more a result of too much pressure.

I also have one SE razor, the Colonial General, and I can get at least 15 shaves out of a Kai Captain Titan Protouch blade.

Hello John, that’s a lot of shaves you get from your blades! Do you strop them and or flip them between shaves? I’m totally curious to say the least!
Strop - no.
Flip - yes.
I can't really say if there is any benefit to flipping them between shaves. It just lengthens my ritual to keep track of it.
I do also remove the blade each time and rinse it, then towel it dry.
Someday Some month I should make the experiment of not flipping it. An Astra SP, since I'm most familiar with those.

... I was changing them out after 3 shaves, but now have increased that standard to 5 - 6 shaves. I think as my technique has improved, particularly on my ATG pass, that the pulling and tugging I experienced was probably more a result of too much pressure.
I'm from a different school of thought.
I find that broken-in blades allow me to increase the pressure, without a resulting post-shave burn or irritation.

I flip, strop and dry mine.
But I’ve never gotten more than 30 shaves off of any blade.
That one was a Personna Med like several years ago.
It got buttery smooth after so many shaves but then got progressively duller. Now I don’t normally do more than 20 off of my better blades. But now I’ve got a Med blade at 20 shaves. It loaded into my Red Tip SS. I’ll keep using it for now. Maybe I’ll hit 30 with it!

BTW, I don’t know how other gents here get 100 shaves off of a blade.
It’s very interesting... careful technique I’ll bet!

I flip and strop after every shave for 10-to-14 shaves per Schick Proline blade. I can get 18-to-20 shaves from a blade, but it’s just convenient for me to switch out every two weeks and never worry about counting shaves or getting an uncomfortable shave.

Agreed, shaves 2 and 3 on a blade are almost always the best . . .

@razorhead63, people who get 100 shaves almost certainly belong to the Excalibur Club.

Last edited:
I'm from a different school of thought.
I find that broken-in blades allow me to increase the pressure, without a resulting post-shave burn or irritation.

I would never want to use pressure to compensate for a blade that is not sharp enough, but you are welcome to do so if it works for you.

Is it wrong? Am I wrong?

Not at all. My Astra SP or Personna Red blades cost $.10 and I toss them after 2 shaves. I like a fresh blade and don't find the results to be worth pushing to 3-4. Money-wise it's not worth it. I bet my wife spends more on Starbucks in her 2-3 trips a week than I spend on blades for a whole year.

Thanks for the info Tokyospike.
Perhaps I can learn things from the high scorers with blade use.
I’ll keep trying with that Personna.
Nothing to lose.

I would never want to use pressure to compensate for a blade that is not sharp enough, but you are welcome to do so if it works for you.
I am soon going to be 66 years old. I sometimes wonder if there is such a thing as "mature skin" that allows me to get away with techniques that are not conventionally recommended.

For the first time in something like 120 shaves I treated myself to a new Astra SP blade tonight. I had to be very careful not to add pressure,
It was quite enjoyable, and part of it might have been due to "corking" the new blade with a piece of styrofoam before using it. It's the first time I've tried that.
Thanks for the info Tokyospike.
Perhaps I can learn things from the high scorers with blade use.
I’ll keep trying with that Personna.
Nothing to lose.
Exactly so.
It might work for you, it might not.

I am soon going to be 66 years old. I sometimes wonder if there is such a thing as "mature skin" that allows me to get away with techniques that are not conventionally recommended.

For the first time in something like 120 shaves I treated myself to a new Astra SP blade tonight. I had to be very careful not to add pressure,
It was quite enjoyable, and part of it might have been due to "corking" the new blade with a piece of styrofoam before using it. It's the first time I've tried that.

Exactly so.
It might work for you, it might not.

I am just a few years older that you. With age, my beard has turned white and is quite coarse and tough. Also, due to my genealogy, I have a condition known as rosacea. My skin is quite thin and I have lots of blood vessels and nerves right below the surface, so my skin is very easily irritated by sun, heat, cold, wind, and shaving. The combination of beard type and skin type makes shaving a challenge. I can get great shaves with proper beard prep, use of great shave soaps, and proper shave angles and minimal pressure.

If I use an aggressive razor like a Muhle R41, I use mid-sharp blades. If I use a mild razor I like using the very sharpest blades: Feather, BIC Chrome Platinum and Nacet.
I can use Astra Superior Stainless, but Astra Superior Platinum blades are barely sharp enough to cut my beard, especially on the first shave. Blades like Merkur, VDH, Shark and Derby Extra are just not sharp enough to shave without tugging. That is why I do not try to go more than a few shaves on any blade. When it starts to tug or feel rough, out it goes.

When you cork your blades with either cork or styrofoam or a felt block, you are removing some of the coating on the edge. That makes the blade a little sharper. Normally, during your first shave with a blade, you face wears off the coating.

They're cheap enough so you could certainly do that. However, I usually get some of my better shaves on the 2nd or 3rd day. I usually only go 4-5 shaves.

Top Bottom