What's new

I use a fresh blade every time I shave

There is nothing wrong with it. You won't get the most out of the blade, but it's only a dime or two per shave. I use a blade for a week or more, and only swap it with a fresh blade when it begins to tug during a shave.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

It is your shave, do what you want. Many folk here are one and out. I generally go 4 shaves on a blade, while some members claim over 100 per blade.

With a Twin-jector blade in my Schick Grip, I get 30 or more comfortable shaves.
With a Bolzano DE blade in my Tech, I got one not-very-comfortable shave and tossed it.
With Lord blades, I get 5-8 shaves.
It all depends on you and what makes you smile.
There is no wrong.
Enjoy.

I was thinking of maybe just leaving the blade in there for a month at a time. I only shave about once a week, so it works out to about 4 shaves per blade.

I've been getting about a month per blade shaving at least 5 times a week for a while now, but that's only with GSBs, Astra platinums and GEM single edge blades. Everything else I've tried I didn't make it over a week and not all of those were really comfortable that long.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

It all depends on what you are looking for in your shave. The two things people generally look for a smoothness and sharpness. Most DE blades are coated in some manner to make them feel smoother. However, that often makes the edge just a little thicker and less sharp. Much of the coating is usually removed by friction with your skin during the first shave. Thus, with most blades, the second shave may not be quite as smooth, but the blade might be be a little sharper. Every brand of blade will differ in how it changes.

Unlike other blades, Feather blades are extremely sharp out of the package, but a lot of people find them to be rather harsh on the first shave. They are a little smoother on the second shave, not quite as sharp, but still very sharp. After that, depending upon the coarseness of your beard, they start to deteriorate. I have a tough beard and and get three shave from them before they become uncomfortable. I won't use Feather blades in a very aggressive razor such as the Muhle R41 because they are too harsh on my skin during the first shave.

If you are looking for very smooth blades, then your one shave per blade is perfect as long as you avoid Feather blades. If you are looking for an extremely sharp blade and are less concerned about smoothness, then using Feather blades for one shave might work for you. However, most folks want a suitable balance of sharp and smooth.

If you have never tried your customary blades for more than one shave, I would suggest you do so. Keep using them until they start to feel harsh or start to tug. You might find that they perform better on the second shave than on the first. You might even be able to use them for a week or more. It all depends on your beard type and your skin sensitivity. It does not matter others do; it only matters what works for you. If you try multiple shaves on the same blade and find that the quality of your shaves deteriorates, then go back to one shave per blade. Each person is different.

If you have more than one razor, you also might find that different blades work better in each razors. I use very sharp blades in mild razors and medium sharp blades in more aggressive razors. Try different things until you figure out what works best for you.

Try it out and see what works for you.

I use Astra's and the magic number for me seems to be 4 and then toss.

The acronym YMMV (Your Mileage My Vary) is used around here a lot for a very good reason.

Happy shaves!

Keep the blade & try it for 4 shaves & see how it feels. If you're only shaving once a week, leave it in for a month. Many blades get smoother after the 2nd or 3rd shave, & the sharpness remains virtually the same, as well. Try it, if it works, great! If it doesn't work, then you tried it & you know for certain that you need to toss your blade after one use.

As long as they're not GSBs. It takes at least a shave to get rid of all that teflon.

Yes, yes, and yes! For me a GSB is a bit rough on shaves 1-2 and smoothing out nicely for the next 5-7 shaves. I notice it most with GSBs over any other blade I’ve tried which is dozens.

Is it wrong? Am I wrong?
If this is your choice, you may consider using only one side of the blade per shave, thereby doubling your blade-life while halving your blade-changing hassle. This way you'll still have a pristine fresh edge for every shave. I do this with Feathers.

Coated blades get better with time. But I am in the process of scoring the performance of razor blades currently available in the market and am using the one and done method to find the Golden Blade! So far have identified 4 top shelf razors that work best for me!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Keep the blade & try it for 4 shaves & see how it feels. If you're only shaving once a week, leave it in for a month. Many blades get smoother after the 2nd or 3rd shave, & the sharpness remains virtually the same, as well. Try it, if it works, great! If it doesn't work, then you tried it & you know for certain that you need to toss your blade after one use.
+1.

Some like one and done. Others prefer 100+ shaves/blade. Totally up to you!!

For me, some blades improve after a few uses, so I come out in the middle! :a14::a14:

Personally I think the 2d and 3rd time you use a blade is when it truly shines.
I have no evidence to back this up....just going by the way all my different
blades behave.

Personally I think the 2d and 3rd time you use a blade is when it truly shines
Same. I only use three different brands regularly, and all of them perform that way for me. First shave is the break in, second and third are great, fourth reminds you that it's time to change the blade.

Many blades are actually better on the second through fourth shave, after the first one they tend to smooth out.

+1 Astra SP immediately comes to my mind. Shave 1 is the roughest.

@OP: A local wetshaving store, which is ran by barbers, states that any decent blade, should be good for at least 3 shaves. After having tried many blades, i stick with the rule of 3 and out.

Top Bottom