What's new

I understand incense a little better now

I attended the funeral of a former co-worker and friend this morning, who passed away at 63 as cancer took another good person far too early.

I've commented in the past that the church I grew up in didn't use incense, and so I don't have the memory recognition that many of you who love incense-based fragrances have mentioned. Incense was used liberally this morning, and I can see how that would make a huge, lasting impression on your scent memory if you had grown up experiencing that many times over many years. Had I grown up with this, I would have immediately recognized it, and known in advance what to expect, with the many incense-type frags I've tried. I can also see how this could be a "comfort" scent for some, or at least one for which some would have strong memory associations.

Interesting how this hobby permeates throughout our lives, sometimes in unexpected places.

I didn't go to church as a child at all, so I wasn't familiar with incense either. However, as soon as I smelled a sample of avignon it instantly reminded me of churches. Growing up, my family would travel a lot for summer vacation and whenever you go to cities in europe you always have to go visit those old cathedrals. Apparently they have burned so much incense in them over the hundreds of years that they are all saturated with the scent. So smelling incense doesn't remind me of going to church and having the priest shake the incense shaker, but it does make me imagine actual churches themselves.

I was surprised by some things, like frankincense smells like lemons? that was weird, or sonoma scent studios incense pure smells odd, like cistus, which is used in incense but for me growing up in california it is a weed in the desert so doesn't remind me of churchiness at all.

I don't have much knowledge on incense frags, but I am sorry for your loss.

Cancer has become an epidemic, I hope we find a cure soon.

The incense burner is called a thurible. There is a piece of burning charcoal in it. Incense is sprinkled over the coal. The incense is usually myrrh. Former altar boy here.

The scent is memorable and comforting. Even though it's been a very long time since I've smelled it, just the thought brings back warm memories.

The incense burner is called a thurible. There is a piece of burning charcoal in it. Incense is sprinkled over the coal. The incense is usually myrrh. Former altar boy here.

Yes! It always seems like the sound of chains clanking against the censer should accompany the fragrance of incense.

I don't have much knowledge on incense frags, but I am sorry for your loss.

Cancer has become an epidemic, I hope we find a cure soon.

Thanks, he was a truly good man who made a positive contribution to the world around him.

Interesting, thanks!

Yes! It always seems like the sound of chains clanking against the censer should accompany the fragrance of incense.

I did hear some kind of clanking noise as the priest was shaking it, but couldn't tell what it was. The smell of incense really did slowly fill the sanctuary. It was amazing!

My sympathies also to the OP for their loss.

I didn't go to church as a child at all, so I wasn't familiar with incense either. However, as soon as I smelled a sample of avignon it instantly reminded me of churches. Growing up, my family would travel a lot for summer vacation and whenever you go to cities in europe you always have to go visit those old cathedrals.

I can see what you're saying here, but for me avignon didn't remind me of church incense at all. I have grown up in an Orthodox church where incense is widely used in just about any service.

I finally got my first myrrh-based fragrance and have to say it's closer to the "real thing" (for me) than most scents. Amouage was the brand and Epic Man is the scent!! Still adjusting to where I can wear this but so far this is a really nice incense/myrrh scent!

My sympathies also to the OP for their loss.

I can see what you're saying here, but for me avignon didn't remind me of church incense at all. I have grown up in an Orthodox church where incense is widely used in just about any service.

I finally got my first myrrh-based fragrance and have to say it's closer to the "real thing" (for me) than most scents. Amouage was the brand and Epic Man is the scent!! Still adjusting to where I can wear this but so far this is a really nice incense/myrrh scent!

Orthodox Christian here also, but I love Avignon. No, it's not an incense you'd get in a Russian Church but I still think it's great. I've also tried CdG's Zagorsk, which is supposed to be their "Orthodox" incense fragrance, but I didn't get "Russian Church" from that as much as I got "pine/birch forest." I like Zagorsk, but if I were to buy a full bottle from CdG's incense line, it'd be either Avignon or Kyoto, which is also great.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

I grew up in a church that used incense and I've been to enough funerals to have the scent firmly engraved on my mind.
Incense based scents are truly wonderful in my opinion.
They don't really approach a full on incense like you'll find in a church.

Orthodox Christian here also, but I love Avignon. No, it's not an incense you'd get in a Russian Church but I still think it's great. I've also tried CdG's Zagorsk, which is supposed to be their "Orthodox" incense fragrance, but I didn't get "Russian Church" from that as much as I got "pine/birch forest." I like Zagorsk, but if I were to buy a full bottle from CdG's incense line, it'd be either Avignon or Kyoto, which is also great.

Thanks for that useful info. I think Avignon and Kyoto were the two that I tried in the Liberty store in central London. Unfortunately I didn't like either, but I should state that I was thinking more in terms of Greek, rather than Russian. Not sure if the incense will be different. Here's what it looks like being sold in some shop in Greece:

Attachments

• $228.jpg
    $228.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 61
Thanks for that useful info. I think Avignon and Kyoto were the two that I tried in the Liberty store in central London. Unfortunately I didn't like either, but I should state that I was thinking more in terms of Greek, rather than Russian. Not sure if the incense will be different. Here's what it looks like being sold in some shop in Greece:

I'm not sure what the differences in incense tastes might be between Greek and Russian Churches. That photo is awesome! You cannot see anything like that here in the US, that's for sure. Looks like prosphora seals in the foreground.

I'm not sure what the differences in incense tastes might be between Greek and Russian Churches. That photo is awesome! You cannot see anything like that here in the US, that's for sure. Looks like prosphora seals in the foreground.

Yes, you'd have to be a very great nose to detect any difference between the two.
Indeed, it prosphora / πρόσφορα seals right at the front. It must be some sort of church shop or something like that. You seem near cemeteries and near churches - so they're obviously marketing themselves at people likely to visit those places and hence buy from them. I'm sure we have a few around in the UK.

Top Bottom