What's new

I tried diced garlic in a jar for the first time ever

It much better than powder or dried stuff. I'd say it's right behind the fresh stuff but not quite as good.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Trader Joe's has a bottle of puréed garlic that is very convenient and super potent. Perfect for garlic bread and the only prepared garlic product I would recommend.

Anthony Bourdain said people who use garlic from a jar don't deserve to eat garlic. I don't disagree with the sentiment, but I do keep a bottle of the puree in the fridge for emergencies.

It's no substitute for fresh garlic, but I'd take it over an old, sprouted, dried-out, feather-light clove of "fresh" garlic any day.

How hard is it to mince garlic or squish it in a garlic press?

dave

It's not about that.
It's about "Oh crap, I forgot to get more garlic at the store!"
I keep a jar in the fridge for just such an emergency. It's not as good and sometimes has a bitter taste, but it still tastes better than no garlic.

It's not about that.
It's about "Oh crap, I forgot to get more garlic at the store!"
I keep a jar in the fridge for just such an emergency. It's not as good and sometimes has a bitter taste, but it still tastes better than no garlic.

I grow a years worth each summer, enough to plant next years crop and enough for our cooking needs. Been growing on this garlic for over twenty years, save the biggest bulbs to plant for next years crop, it's very well adapted to my place.

proxy.php

proxy.php
dave

Last edited:
I grow a years worth each summer, enough to plant next years crop and enough for our cooking needs. Been growing on this garlic for over twenty years, save the biggest bulbs to plant for next years crop, it's very well adapted to my place.

dave

So should I pm you my address orrrrrrr? :thumbup:

That is awesome. Does it require anything special for soil, light, etc?

Thanks guys!

Not really anything special, as much sun as you can provide and water. My vegetable garden is on the north side of the house so gets shady at each end of the season, i'm not sure of the number of hours but tomatoes and the like do great back there as well.

We're maybe Zone six climate wise, heavy clay soil, so i amend the soil in the spring with peat moss, our compost and maybe bagged age manure if we don't have a lot of compost. When the garlic is up and growing well i side dress with some more compost then mulch with straw to prevent weeds and reduce watering needs.

I've always planted mid November which i'm told is late and harvest towards the end of July. Sixty cloves to 18square feet wil provid e all i need. Used to need to plant more but over time the yield has increased. When i started the bulbs were about the size of a toonie (pictured coin) and would have four cloves. By using the biggest bulbs for planting and the soil's improved over the years, now- six, seven big cloves per bulb.

For planting i'll dig in compost and any peat moss i have left and some bonemeal, kelp meal some lime and soy bean meal. Each clove a couple inches deep.

In the spring when they pop up, weed and water, when up a foot or so, side dress and mulch.

When the scapes develop, chop them off and you can use them for cooking. If you leave them on the plant's energy will go into developing the flower and seeds, off, the plant energy will go into bulb development so bigger, hopefully even tastier bulbs.

July, pull a few from the ground to see how they're developed, i'm looking for as big a bulb but one that is still sheathed in the paper skin so it's well suited to storage.

Harvest and dry in the sun, cover if there's rain. I cut the dry stalks off pop them in a couple old mesh onion bags and hang in the cool basement. And I sort them too before bagging, big ones set aside for planting in November, any that have blown out of their skins are set aside to use up first, then the rest.

The key if you want to try growing is make sure the garlic bulbs you buy were grown locally, try a farmer's market, specialty food shops, a local nursery/seed supplier might have it, it really needs to be local, adapted to your growing conditions.

Cheers!
dave

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Not really anything special, as much sun as you can provide and water. My vegetable garden is on the north side of the house so gets shady at each end of the season, i'm not sure of the number of hours but tomatoes and the like do great back there as well.

We're maybe Zone six climate wise, heavy clay soil, so i amend the soil in the spring with peat moss, our compost and maybe bagged age manure if we don't have a lot of compost. When the garlic is up and growing well i side dress with some more compost then mulch with straw to prevent weeds and reduce watering needs.

I've always planted mid November which i'm told is late and harvest towards the end of July. Sixty cloves to 18square feet wil provid e all i need. Used to need to plant more but over time the yield has increased. When i started the bulbs were about the size of a toonie (pictured coin) and would have four cloves. By using the biggest bulbs for planting and the soil's improved over the years, now- six, seven big cloves per bulb.

For planting i'll dig in compost and any peat moss i have left and some bonemeal, kelp meal some lime and soy bean meal. Each clove a couple inches deep.

In the spring when they pop up, weed and water, when up a foot or so, side dress and mulch.

When the scapes develop, chop them off and you can use them for cooking. If you leave them on the plant's energy will go into developing the flower and seeds, off, the plant energy will go into bulb development so bigger, hopefully even tastier bulbs.

July, pull a few from the ground to see how they're developed, i'm looking for as big a bulb but one that is still sheathed in the paper skin so it's well suited to storage.

Harvest and dry in the sun, cover if there's rain. I cut the dry stalks off pop them in a couple old mesh onion bags and hang in the cool basement. And I sort them too before bagging, big ones set aside for planting in November, any that have blown out of their skins are set aside to use up first, then the rest.

The key if you want to try growing is make sure the garlic bulbs you buy were grown locally, try a farmer's market, specialty food shops, a local nursery/seed supplier might have it, it really needs to be local, adapted to your growing conditions.

Cheers!
dave

One more thing, the garlic is plant it in a different spot every year, i have room/spaces for a four year rotation.

dave

Anthony Bourdain said people who use garlic from a jar don't deserve to eat garlic. I don't disagree with the sentiment, but I do keep a bottle of the puree in the fridge for emergencies.

I take anything and everything Anthony Bourdain says with a truckload of salt. He's become famous in part by saying snarky things about TV chefs, when in reality he is just as bad or worse than they are. At least they actually cook something on most of their shows.

I fall in the "jarred garlic beats no garlic" camp.

Top Bottom