What's new

I Tried Bootlegger's El Dorado.

And it is really good.

I think I've developed ASAD. It was that darn Pinaud organization that triggered it.

Just after this past Christmas, I decided I was going to try shaving with a DE razor. To accompany the experience, I figured I'd go find some aftershaves that I have't tried before. I'm partial to old-timey/ classic scents. I grew up on Brut and Old Spice, like so many of us. I had those, wanted something different. So off to the internets... and all roads lead to B&B, don't they? Every flavor from every maker from every era of shaving stuff has some sort of review or, at least, some kind of comment on this board. So I started reading all the different subs around here, getting opinions, reading reviews, learning about scents, etc. Obviously the different flavors of Pinaud are oft-mentioned, and since Clubman is easily found in local shops, I decided to start there. Bought a bottle, took it home, splashed it on... and yecchh. You know what I'm talking about. But as it dried down, diffused, mellowed, it turned intoxicating. I splashed on more. Back to the internets to find out what other flavors there were. Picked up Special Reserve and Vanilla (and currently am waiting on Musk and Bay Rum to arrive today, BTW!). Same deal, loved those, I'll have 'em all.
As I was reading through all the discussion on this board, I kept finding mention of the Bootlegger's series. I read @TheVez2 's review of them, and was intrigued. It seemed like El Dorado was the stand-out hit of the series. Hey, I've got 2/3 of the fixin's! I'll eventually get around to making it, I think to myself. Well, the other night at Wally World, I see a bottle of English Leather AS for the princely sum of $7.88 and knew what I had to do.

I mixed up around 8oz altogether, pouring a couple of ounces in a little bottle to give to my dad, and the balance in a Cholula bottle for me. I even did the official labels for both of 'em! Little Dorado.jpg

I showered, lathered on some Tabac soap, handled business, then splashed on a good palm full of the El Dorado.
Nice smooth feel on the skin, decent little acknowledgment from the Pinaud but mostly tame. There was the familiar stinky initial waft from the mix, but the dry down was really nice, the skin feel is really good, and boy-howdy is this mix smoother than either the SR or EL are on their own. I think the Vanilla on its own may be in my top-3 aftershaves, and it really took the rough edges off the other two flavors. The "synergy" that is mentioned with the Bootlegger's stuff is noticeable here, for sure. As an aside: English Leather used to be some swanky stuff when I was younger, but this new aftershave is... not so great. I was REALLY reluctant to pull the trigger on this project when I finally had it in my hands.

Even now, as I write this the next morning, I can still plainly smell it on my skin, though there is not much projection to speak of. You'd have to have your nose up against my neck.
The bottom line on this experiment, for me: I will never wear the English Leather on its own. The Special Reserve is good, but this mix kicks it up in such a big way that I'm not sure I'll wear the SR on its own anymore. As mentioned before, the Vanilla is a big winner on its own, but it's a different type of scent. So now, whenever I've got an urge to go for something with an aged-leather/tobacco/earthy aroma, the El Dorado is unquestionably what I will reach for.

@OkieStubble, this is amazing stuff, and I want to thank you for not only creating it, but also sharing it with everybody. I am planning on trying out the Bootlegger's Bay Rum, next, and look forward to it.

@G.W. Most Excellent Review! That was truly a journey into Bootlegger's El Dorado. Kudos for printing the label and giving your Dad some. By the way...what did he think of it. You must make a batch of some Bootlegger's Bay Rum. It is my second favorite bay rum scent (Dominica bay Rum being first...hard to compete with an original). Thanks for sharing!

I haven't given my dad his bottle yet, I'll see him in the next day or so. I will report back once he comments. He really likes the Special Reserve, so I cannot imagine him not absolutely loving this mix.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
@OkieStubble, this is amazing stuff, and I want to thank you for not only creating it, but also sharing it with everybody. I am planning on trying out the Bootlegger's Bay Rum, next, and look forward to it.

Welcome to B&B G.W., What an absolutely fantastic review! I'm glad you are enjoying Bootlegger's El Dorado. It was a labor of love. ;) I think you will enjoy the Original Bay Rum also. The rest of the series are popular with folks and I feel you would like them if enjoyed in their prospective seasons.

Like you, It seems I don't ever reach for just the Pinaud's anymore except for the classic Clubman. I use El Dorado instead of just SR or Vanilla, the Original Bay Rum instead of PVIBR and the Lime Bay Rum instead of just the Citrus Musk.

Again, welcome and thank you for such a wonderful review.

@G.W. Kudos for printing the label and giving your Dad some.

+1

I haven't given my dad his bottle yet, I'll see him in the next day or so. will report back once he comments. He really likes the Special Reserve, so I cannot imagine him not absolutely loving this mix.

Can't wait to read about this!

:thumbsup: A big thumbs up! Thanks for sharing.

+1

Last edited:
Fantastic review! Bootleggers El Dorado is one of my favorite aftershaves, which reminds me, I need to mix up some more.

I have all the components along with bottle and label, I really need to take 10 mins to make some, Rob got me hooked.

Where can you get Bootleggers Aftershave? I have looked online and cannot seem to find it.
As a finished product, you can't but it. You have to make it yourself with a few simple and usually easily found aftershaves. Here's the recipe.

2 Parts: Pinaud Special Reserve
2 Parts: Pinaud Classic Vanilla
1 Part: English Leather

Just mixed up my first batch! I can hardly wait to try the El Dorado.

All I can smell now though is the S.R. I spilled on my hand. Glad I like it.

OK, reporting in after a couple of weeks with El Dorado:
I really like this stuff. It didn't occur to me when I made it, but it has gotten better as the separate components have (mixed? merged? blended?) come together in the bottle. It has smoothed out a bit more, and softened a bit.
I've found myself randomly splashing a bit on my neck any time I pass my bathroom.

By the way, my dad said he liked it. He's been on a kick making his own colognes, soaps and shave butters and other stuff, lately, so I don't know how much he focused on it. He's got a little bit of shaving ADD going on right now, I think. Haha.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
OK, reporting in after a couple of weeks with El Dorado:
I really like this stuff. It didn't occur to me when I made it, but it has gotten better as the separate components have (mixed? merged? blended?) come together in the bottle. It has smoothed out a bit more, and softened a bit.
I've found myself randomly splashing a bit on my neck any time I pass my bathroom.

By the way, my dad said he liked it. He's been on a kick making his own colognes, soaps and shave butters and other stuff, lately, so I don't know how much he focused on it. He's got a little bit of shaving ADD going on right now, I think. Haha.

Synergized? :)

I made mine today. It smelled great, but probably needs to settle a bit. I didn't have any English Leather aftershave, so I had to use the cologne which seemed to make the scent a bit strong. I'm sure it will mellow out after a while. It really does have a great, manly smell.

Top Bottom