What's new

I Tried A Shark Blade

The Sharks work well for a friend of mine, so I thought I'd give it a try. Popped a new one in my Gillette Tech, and the first few passes were mediocre, then as I got to my mustache area I had to stop. It was like sandpaper. Ouch. I reached over to grab another razor with another blade to finish up.

My beard is thick, my hair is coarse I guess that's why it didn't work. Does anyone else have this trouble with Shark blades?

I get anywhere from 7-12 shaves with the Shark SC & Shark stainless blades. I have a medium beard type & YMMV. The Gillette Tech is a mild razor & may be too mild for your beard type.

Did exactly the same this morning. Brand new shark blade, good smoothness after the first pass but it was very uncomfortable and a coarse shave. Switched it out for my usual Astra sp to complete the save which was oodles better.

I get anywhere from 7-12 shaves with the Shark SC & Shark stainless blades. I have a medium beard type & YMMV. The Gillette Tech is a mild razor & may be too mild for your beard type.

Thank you. I shaved a minute ago. Now, I wish I had not disposed of the first Shark SC blade. I pulled out my Gillette New, put a new Shark SC in it, then lathered up some Arko. The first pass went well, so I opted for a second. The second went better, so I opted for a third pass. Not even a weeper. Cold rinse plus alumblock, aftershave. I stand amazed. The shave was in the B+, A- range.

As for my '54 Tech, Feathers and Astras are the blades I typically use. Evidently, as fast shaver pointed out, my beard needs an aggressive razor.

I have a tough beard, I use a Merkur 34c and I have never had a problem using Shark blades, I use them once then toss 'em. I suppose I could use them longer but they are cheap...

I tried on in my Parker SRX Shavette... Loved it! For me, it was a great shave (besides the slice I took out of my face, because I'm new with a Shavette)!

My beard is coarse also, and I could never get more than a week with a 5 blade cartridge. No way I could ever get almost a month out of a blade. I am the same as you two or three strokes and if it's tugging that bad in the trash it goes.

Man I wanted to like sharks. I tried a few, and they were actually Sharp enough to cut. But they irritated my neck. I have a medium thick beard, with pretty tough hairs, so I can't use the less sharp blades like dorcos and derbys.

My beard is thick, my hair is coarse I guess that's why it didn't work. Does anyone else have this trouble with Shark blades?

Wrong guess,I have stubble course like steel and thick as the Amazon jungle :001_smile and Sharks are the only blades I use (DE shaving since 1980),I easily get 7 four pass shaves with them.

Blades are THE absolute YMMV thing in life.

I agree with matching the blade to the razor.

I use shark super stainless blades regularly (I bought 200 early on). They work well for me in a more aggressive razor. I usually use them in a slim set to 5. I would also use voskhod, ladas and other duller blades with that setting.

I use blades like rapira platinum lux - in the slim set to one or in a weishi (very mild razors).

I also have a tech, but the particular model (english flat bottom) I would call more aggressive than more recent techs.

I bought a few Sharks to sample and got the worst shave I have ever had with that blade and a Merkur 34c. Maybe it was a bad blade but with the other quality blades I have laying around I never got back to trying them in a different razor.

I have recently gone back to Sharks after a long period of using GSB and Astra SPs. I am impressed. The Shark is sharp and smooth...no complaints. I am using mine n a Merkur 23c and I am getting great shaves.

Top Bottom