What's new

I tossed a pipe today - budget options?

There's also Etsy. I recently picked up a foursquare straight sandblast billiard, a Trade Winds, which looks much like the 2021 Alden pipe (except for color and length), and which smokes very nicely, for about $65.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Hey, I didn't say I wouldn't get in a PIF for a non-budget pipe! :lol:

But I am getting a buffing wheel, some carnauba wax, and a few other minor supplies so as to be able to refurbish estate pipes! Sounds like a great and fun way to up my collection! I already have one pipe I had professionally redone. No reason I can't do it myself!

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I'll cast another vote for Bones. I've got a whole bunch of them. Some suit me better than others, but I haven't met one yet that was BAD.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Those Morgan Bones pipes are intriguing to say the least. I am going to peruse that at length, thank you.

Another vote for Bones. I've heard wonderful things about Dr. Grabow. For me, considering they're in the same price range, I think the Bones looks better but I cannot comment on how the Grabows smoke. If you were willing to spend more than a Bones but still in your budget, Bigham makes some absolutely gorgeous pipes under $100 that smoke way above their lower midrange price tag would have you expecting. And that rock maple filter is a pretty nice filter, if you like filters. There's also some lower end Chacom pipes that will approach your budget, but depending on who's having sales should sneak in. My last suggestion* ** would be a brand that doesn't get much love in this site, but it's a great and pretty little smoker for me. H.I.S is the brand and can sometimes be found in baskets. Nothing special, nothing I'm bragging on our showing off, but it'll still (or rather should) smoke good for you.

I'm traveling until Wednesday. But after that, I'll be happy to show my examples of some of these brands that I've managed to acquire for under $100. But you'll have to remind me.

*Not a brand, but don't be afraid of estate pipes either. Sometimes I've felt bad paying so low for some very nice pipes.

**I would also recommend Missouri Meerschaum cobs, but they don't count.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Until Rookie can get back home and take pictures, here's my full array of briars. All bought new, all sitters, and all were comfortably under £50.

20211102_042728.jpg

4 x Parker
2 x Ben Wade
2 x Falcon
1 x Dr Plumb
1 x Peterson
1 x Nording

ylekot

Until Rookie can get back home and take pictures, here's my full array of briars. All bought new, all sitters, and all were comfortably under £50.

View attachment 1356204

4 x Parker
2 x Ben Wade
2 x Falcon
1 x Dr Plumb
1 x Peterson
1 x Nording
Nice collection! And thank you folks for the term "sitters" My churchwarden has a round bottom which can be a right pain in the butt!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Nice collection! And thank you folks for the term "sitters" My churchwarden has a round bottom which can be a right pain in the butt!

Cheers!

Yup! All sitters here. All my "fall over and make a mess" pipes got sold. I have no time for them. It still confuses the pants off me why sitters are BY FAR the least common pipe. If you're happily to buy something that falls over instead, there's WAY more choice, with maybe 50 or more "topplers" for every "sitter".

(Topplers isn't an accepted term, it's just what I call them. It's the most polite and forum friendly term I can think of :p )

ylekot

Cheers!

Yup! All sitters here. All my "fall over and make a mess" pipes got sold. I have no time for them. It still confuses the pants off me why sitters are BY FAR the least common pipe. If you're happily to buy something that falls over instead, there's WAY more choice, with maybe 50 or more "topplers" for every "sitter".

(Topplers isn't an accepted term, it's just what I call them. It's the most polite and forum friendly term I can think of :p )
It was a gift from my wife, and is my only pipe so I will deal with the "toppler" :pipe:

Al, have you found a Zulu shape that can sit yet? I remember that beautiful one you had to put up for adoption leaving a yachtsman shape hole in your rotation.

ylekot

Hey, I didn't say I wouldn't get in a PIF for a non-budget pipe! :lol:

But I am getting a buffing wheel, some carnauba wax, and a few other minor supplies so as to be able to refurbish estate pipes! Sounds like a great and fun way to up my collection! I already have one pipe I had professionally redone. No reason I can't do it myself!
I just did a quick surf of the Bay. There is some decent looking stuff there. Full collections with stands and jars for not obscene piles of cash. Good luck on your journey and have fun!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Al, have you found a Zulu shape that can sit yet? I remember that beautiful one you had to put up for adoption leaving a yachtsman shape hole in your rotation.

Not within my laughable budget, Bill :biggrin1: I have seen a couple I liked, but the decimal point on the price tag was in the wrong place. :001_rolle

I haven't looked for a few months though, to be honest. This year got a bit spendy with clothes and shoes. The others seem to be holding up well, although I did lose my first pipe to gravity/mishap this year. It was only a cob, but was a gentle reminder (for me) of my limitations, and to stay at the budget end of the spectrum.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Savinelli 904 is a large zulu-esque shape that usually has a flattened bottom to the bowl, so it can rest on the bowl and stem. Not a great sitter, but it will sit.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Savinelli 904 is a large zulu-esque shape that usually has a flattened bottom to the bowl, so it can rest on the bowl and stem. Not a great sitter, but it will sit.

Well out if my price range, I'm afraid. I expect to get at least three pipes for that kind of money.

I did try a Savinelli 305 for about half that money last year. It got returned though. Despite having a Bermuda stem, it didn't sit. I also had a little buyers remorse spending so much on a pipe, and was glad to get full refund for not having smoked it.

@JCinPA here are most of the pipes that ran me under $100, not counting shipping or taxes. Those are two factors that vary wildly, so I'm focusing on sticker prices. As always shop around to see what's on sale.

16359517116521552884283039985257.jpg

Clockwise starting with the Bigham Canadian, Bones (with another in the car), the next 3 are unmarked from a basket. The bulldog and the next were antique store finds. Then 2 examples from H.I.S. and finally a Comoy zulu. Of course, there's several cobs not pictured because of my beliefs that cobs don't count. The Bigham and Comoy were right at that hundred dollar mark. The rest were in the $50 range except for the estate two. They were $15 for the bulldog and $10 for the Medico.

Feel free to ask any questions about any of them.

ETA: I have another Bones in the car and 2 more unmarked ~$50 basket pipes at work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom