What's new

I tied my first two badger knots.

I have to tell you I’m impressed. With as many brush handles as I’ve made, the thought of tying my own knots has me running for cover. Congrats on doing a fine job on something I wouldn’t even attempt.

That first one looks better than a lot of commercial knots, I'd be proud myself. The second looks flawless to me.

Might have to try this, I need another hobby (NOT) -- but it would be fun. Can't be any worse than watchmaking, another on of those things I need to spend some time doing, my current watch needs servicing.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
You have nerves of steel! I would have given up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Did you comb them out? I don't tie knots, but Scott @ Declaration has told he he combs out every knot until his hands are falling off. He claims it's the worst part of the job.

I didn't comb through them.
Before or after setting them. I was too impatient.

In hindsight it would have been a good thing to do before wetting it the first time. That's when I got a lot of loose hairs. The first time I wet it. I could see why he does that because seeing a new knot drop 20 or more loose hairs is shocking. Like, "is this going to clog the drain?" I expected to see some shake out though and that many loose hairs only showed up the first wash with both of them.

The first one was done dropping loose hairs by the second shave. I was really liberal with the epoxy on that one both creating the plug end and later setting it deep inside the handle. I was actually concerned about run over when I paired the knot and handle together I put so much epoxy in it.

So far so good.

The only hairs that have shed are long and crimped, folded over in the bundle that way to begin with or something. Ones that didn't happen to be in the bottom of the knot to begin with when it was glued.

I've used the second one three times now after a few test lathers to get the usual funkiness out. Today only one whispy hair came out after I ran it by a dry towel after I had risnsed it.

I'm pretty relieved that I was able to get the knots successfully "plugged" through and through. Especially in the center.

I was concerned about that because I made them so dense. I took a cue from Simpsons and made a little paddle with a few pins stuck through it to tamp the epoxy into the bottom of the knots. I wasn't going to count on it wicking in on its own accord. I also traced the outside end with the stick I mixed up the epoxy with and gave it a good coating all around.

Part of the reason I mentioned in a previous post actually that I couldn't get the knots as short as store bought knots was that I wanted zero glue bump. The portion of the knot I tied off and glued is fairly substantial in height. There's about 18mm to 20mm of hair inside the handles. I suppose I could have cut or sanded them shorter but I didn't want to risk compromising the integrity of the knots after all the time and effort it took to make them.

In the beehive for example, I drilled it just past the transition between the top and bottom portions of the handle shape. That itself was a nerve racking endeavor because the socket is nearly as wide as the narrowest part of the handle. If I was even at a slight angle I might have ruined that handle. I've had it for a few years now and had several different knots in it but did not want to lose it. I'm happy that I epoxied the knot in this time. No more using that handle as a knot tester with silicone adhesive. It's got a permanent tuft as long as the knot I made here holds up to regular use.
:a14:

I didn't comb through them.
Before or after setting them. I was too impatient.

In hindsight it would have been a good thing to do before wetting it the first time. That's when I got a lot of loose hairs. The first time I wet it. I could see why he does that because seeing a new knot drop 20 or more loose hairs is shocking. Like, "is this going to clog the drain?" I expected to see some shake out though and that many loose hairs only showed up the first wash with both of them.

The first one was done dropping loose hairs by the second shave. I was really liberal with the epoxy on that one both creating the plug end and later setting it deep inside the handle. I was actually concerned about run over when I paired the knot and handle together I put so much epoxy in it.

So far so good.

The only hairs that have shed are long and crimped, folded over in the bundle that way to begin with or something. Ones that didn't happen to be in the bottom of the knot to begin with when it was glued.

I've used the second one three times now after a few test lathers to get the usual funkiness out. Today only one whispy hair came out after I ran it by a dry towel after I had risnsed it.

I'm pretty relieved that I was able to get the knots successfully "plugged" through and through. Especially in the center.

I was concerned about that because I made them so dense. I took a cue from Simpsons and made a little paddle with a few pins stuck through it to tamp the epoxy into the bottom of the knots. I wasn't going to count on it wicking in on its own accord. I also traced the outside end with the stick I mixed up the epoxy with and gave it a good coating all around.

Part of the reason I mentioned in a previous post actually that I couldn't get the knots as short as store bought knots was that I wanted zero glue bump. The portion of the knot I tied off and glued is fairly substantial in height. There's about 18mm to 20mm of hair inside the handles. I suppose I could have cut or sanded them shorter but I didn't want to risk compromising the integrity of the knots after all the time and effort it took to make them.

In the beehive for example, I drilled it just past the transition between the top and bottom portions of the handle shape. That itself was a nerve racking endeavor because the socket is nearly as wide as the narrowest part of the handle. If I was even at a slight angle I might have ruined that handle. I've had it for a few years now and had several different knots in it but did not want to lose it. I'm happy that I epoxied the knot in this time. No more using that handle as a knot tester with silicone adhesive. It's got a permanent tuft as long as the knot I made here holds up to regular use.
:a14:

Nice!

Todd, What a Great Job .
What do they feel like compared to Scotts knots @ DSW ?

They're different. Silvertip hair bulb shape vs two band fans he makes. Declaration has more backbone and similar softness at the tips in his B5 but the fan shapes he does make for a different feel in use. The hair I used is thinner and has less backbone even though I reckon I got pretty close to the density he does.

I used a Thater two band Silvertip bulb I have in a similar size and loft to the beehive brush I made the knot in. Even that Thater, which I always kind of felt was too soft personally, has more backbone than the three band Silvertip hair I used. It just is what it is. Three band Silvertip. Pretty luxurious and comfy but nothing like two band or finest or even a well broken in boar.

Nice work, Todd.

Thanks!

This has made me want to try this. I already turn my own handles for myself and this would be cool if I could do this also. Is there any other sources for lose hair. I have been searching and have only found the place on etsy that you used. I would prefer some nice 2 band if anyone knows where I can get some?

Nice work. I have been thinking about doing this for a while. What did you use as a glue to set the knot in and what did you use the "shape" the knot? Brushmakers use brass tubes that they call 'cannons' what did you use ?

Aha now I re-read the thread I see you shaped in a whot glass and used epoxy. You mentioned "it was like it had static electricity and each strand wanted to repel away from the others" - that's why the pro guys use brass cannons and after they set the shape they sometimes leave the thing in the cannot for a week to let the static dissipate.

I tied it with thread. From my wife's sewing kit.

eBay had a seller who had two band bundles listed. Like three times as much hair for about twice the price I got mine off Etsy for. I didn't want to make that much of a commitment.

Top Bottom